Cool Video of the Day

Supposedly this video shows thirty two metronomes, all started at different times, synchronizing themselves. I say "supposedly" because watching the damn things keeps putting me to sleep before the video ends. ;)

Neat! By 1:24 you can hear them starting to sync up; by 1:42 they're almost in sync, and
by 2:02 it sounded like they were all in sync.

enjoyed this, thanks. :)

Not surprising you can see the white board they're on moving, so it's basically the vibrations that help sync up to one another. Although it is pretty cool.

...well I'm not really shocked by this.

The platform they are sitting on is swaying with them, the force of that movement would (could/does?) alter their movement.

Put them on a non moving, wooden surface and lets see if it changes the results!

at the end they are all moving at the same speed and direction and look lined up to me.

Since I couldn't see the whole platform they were sitting on, and the platform looked hyper stable, I assumed this was a trick with newtons laws of gravity, since this trick is normally done on rollers etc.

But the last 20 seconds or so you can slightly see the platform swaying, so it probably is the oscillation trick at work, its hard to say though cause the clearest I can see the video is 240p for some reason

Also..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QyQ9PsOj6A

They would ahve been done sooner if it wasn't for that one straggler on the right side, second row. I'lll call him Private Pyle.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, what are you trying to do to my beloved Corps?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I don't know, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You are dumb, Private Pyle, but do you expect me to believe that you don't know left from right?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then you did that on purpose! You wanna be different!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [slaps Pyle hard on the left hand side of his face] What side was that, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, left side, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [shouts] Are you sure, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [slaps him hard again, this time on right side of his face, knocking his hat off; shouts] What side was that, Private Pyle?
Private Gomer Pyle: [nearly in tears] Sir, right side, sir!

:D

Pretty cool. I didn't know you could do that. I guess each metronome as it changes direction at the end of a swing exerts a force on the non-so-stable-table and since it's free to move, it then exerts a close to equal force on the other metronomes (rather than the force just getting transmitted through to the ground), either slows or speeds it up by a tiny amount depending on where it is in its cycle until eventually they all sync up.

that's pretty cool since metronomes are supposed to keep a stable BPM, but the fact that they synchronize means they don't

that's pretty cool since metronomes are supposed to keep a stable BPM, but the fact that they synchronize means they don't

Well they'd keep a stable BPM as long as they're mounted to something solid. If you swing one back and forth it won't.

Neat! By 1:24 you can hear them starting to sync up; by 1:42 they're almost in sync, and
by 2:02 it sounded like they were all in sync.

enjoyed this, thanks. :)
now, need an entire warehouse room full of these metronomes going in sync

harmonics, you sometimes can't believe that the same thing demonstrated here is also the same thing that can knock down poorly constructed suspension bridges :cool:

harmonics, you sometimes can't believe that the same thing demonstrated here is also the same thing that can knock down poorly constructed suspension bridges :cool:

I don't think it is? This is freely swinging force generating objects coupled so that their phase becomes aligned. The thing that knocks down a suspension bridge is when an external forcing frequency (wind) aligns with the natural vibration frequency, amplifying the mechanical oscillation. Unless the table the metronomes are sitting on are on is sprung and tuned to a natural frequency equal to that of the metronome frequency, otherwise the physical mechanism seems kinda different to me :p

That's awesome. So is the harmonic effects essentially overpowering the motors, forcing them faster/slower than their setting?

Now if only there was a way to do this to a line of cars at a light so all their flashers sync. :D

So if you put a load of people on a wobbly floor they all agree after a while? Guess that explains why people love cruises...

They should put this in a concert or disco for white folks, so they can eventually dance with the beat.

So if you put a load of people on a wobbly floor they all agree after a while? Guess that explains why people love cruises...

I bet you could find an University or a gov'ment agency to toss you a few million $$$ to study that. :D

They should put this in a concert or disco for white folks, so they can eventually dance with the beat.

"white folks" ? Really? Bad dancing is there for pretty much everybody.

That said, this video is what it must be like to hear a North Korean military march set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Google Gallopin Gertie. Kind of crazy what harmonics can do.

This made me realize, I could have probably taken advantage of this when I wanted to get rid of a concrete deck. When I had the sledge hammer on the right spot it actually made the whole thing bounce in a "wave like" way. If I had figured out a device like a jackhammer but variable speed I could have maybe found the right frequency. :p

Someone needs to have Command & Conquer Hell March playing in the background while these sync.

...well I'm not really shocked by this.

The platform they are sitting on is swaying with them, the force of that movement would (could/does?) alter their movement.

Put them on a non moving, wooden surface and lets see if it changes the results!

Exactly! The shake table allows them to sync in a 'majority rules' fashion.

Back