Foxconn Factory Reopens After Brawl

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Foxconn is back open after the riot that broke out between the inmates over the weekend. Did I say inmates? Whoops! I meant workers. As a bonus, the workers not injured or involved in the rioting were granted the privilege of working extra shifts to clean up the broken glass and overturned cars. :eek:

Foxconn Technology Group and police said the cause of the unrest Sunday night was under investigation, but labor activists said the rollout of the iPhone 5 has led to longer working hours and more pressure on workers. Foxconn and police said as many as 2,000 employees were involved in the brawl and 40 people were reported injured.

Nice! I was super worried about a delay in me receiving a new phone. <-- such a first world problem!

Is this just a coincidence or do I sense some Anti-Chinese sentiment behind articles like this one?

In before the "statistically speaking, there are less riots at Foxconn per capita...." apologists show up. :D

Yes, because NGOs like China Labor Watch never make mistakes or have a vested interest in assigning the story to the highest profile product possible for the best publicity ... not saying that the site doesn't make iPhone 5's but everything the NGOs say isn't necessarily the Gospel truth either ;)

Yes, because NGOs like China Labor Watch never make mistakes or have a vested interest in assigning the story to the highest profile product possible for the best publicity ... not saying that the site doesn't make iPhone 5's but everything the NGOs say isn't necessarily the Gospel truth either ;)

I don't see your point of saying that CLW has a vested interest in saying it's Apple. Considering that if it isn't Apple, then the ACTUAL client company would do nothing to improve conditions, since the outside world believed the "lie" that it was actually a factory making iPhones. And therefore making the NGO's "publicity" of the event pointless.

I don't see your point of saying that CLW has a vested interest in saying it's Apple. Considering that if it isn't Apple, then the ACTUAL client company would do nothing to improve conditions, since the outside world believed the "lie" that it was actually a factory making iPhones. And therefore making the NGO's "publicity" of the event pointless.

NGOs have an agenda ... arguably a good one ... they wish to improve conditions in the developing world ... their ability to do that is directly proportional to the amount of pressure they can apply to a company or country ...

EVERY employer in China has some kind of labor or safety issue (some of it is due to ignorance and some to malfeasance) ... but we only hear about the ones who do work for Walmart, Microsoft, Apple, and other large multinational companies (because those are the ones most likely to be motivated to address a problem that gives them bad publicity) ... if an NGO wants a China story to get lots of hits then they will want it attibuted to the highest profile customer or product possible ...

Again, I am not saying this plant doesn't do iphones but don't give the NGOs more credibility than they are due ... they make mistakes or lie occasionally (the same as the companies they are monitoring) ;)

kbrickley, where do you get your information from?

Since we can't validate kbrickley's claim, does anyone have actual inside knowledge of what is made at that plant? The most I can find on it anywhere is this:

Foxconn has declined to say which products are made in each factory but another group, China Labor Watch, said the Taiyuan facility, which employs 79,000 people, is making the iPhone 5.

The group, based in New York City, complained that employees suffer &#8220;verbal and physical abuse&#8221; by guards.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2012/09/25/apple-suppliers-factory-back-up-after-china-brawl/#ixzz27ZR9e1s7

kbrickley, where do you get your information from?

Since we can't validate kbrickley's claim, does anyone have actual inside knowledge of what is made at that plant? The most I can find on it anywhere is this:

Since I work for a competitor of Foxconn I can't say definitely what they do or do not make at that location but I did see this article

http://news.yahoo.com/foxconn-riot-might-not-iphone-183506453.html

If the question is about NGOs I have seen lots of data from them on a variety of subjects ... they occasionally get things right and sometimes get things wrong ... but make no mistake, they do have an Agenda (each one has a slightly different agenda) and they are just as money driven as the people they are trying to police (and extremely publicity driven) ... they also sometimes stick their noses in places they have no business (like when they complained about Thailand's war on drugs a few years back and Thailand had to kick most of them out of the country)

If you find an NGO that supports a cause you like then by all means support them (I support Greenpeace and a few others) but don't just assume that because they are an NGO they are not above suspicion themselves ;) :cool:

Back