Happy 10th Birthday, Firefox!

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ten years ago Mozilla launched a brand new browser called Phoenix 0.1. From that humble beginning, Firefox as we know it today, finally emerged after several attempts to find a suitable name. Over the years, the battle for browser superiority was contested and heated, ultimately ending up with Firefox settling into a third place position. Happy 10th Birthday, Firefox!!

In February 2008, Firefox had been downloaded 500 million times and established a record with version 3.0 several months later, with the “Most Downloads of a Software Application in 24 Hours,” according to Guinness World Records.

So took them 6 years to get to version 3... and now we're up to what version 15? Probably 16 by the time people read this.

I think I started using it around beta .7 or somewhere around there... it's been a good run, but after firefox 3, it seemed to stagnate/turn into a memory hog. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. Their android app, on the other hand, is terrible...

Used em from 1.5 to 3.0

The days in the middle were the most fun. And then Chrome happened. :D

It's interesting how the complaint against Firefox here is memory usage when it has used significantly less memory than Chrome for quite a while already. Chrome's advantage is the per-process tab model but that actually makes it use more memory.

In my opinion Firefox is currently way better then Chrome as it currently stands. Firefox does come out with sum buggy version sometimes tho.

I remember feeling so liberated when Firefox came around on my radar; converting everyone over instead of them using crappy IE. Then Chrome came out. Finally, I grew up and said who gives a crap, use what you want . . . except for IE lol.

Back