iPhone 5 Hits 5 Million in First Weekend Sales

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The numbers are in from the first weekend of sales and shows Apple selling more than five million units in the first three days. The numbers reflect sales in less than 10 countries, with 22 more to be added this week and 100 countries by the end of the year.

"While we have sold out of our initial supply, stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date.

Lots of busy bees at Foxconn. Ahhh..what do we care...as long as we get our electronics.

I've played with the iPhone 5 this weekend and while I will say it is snappy and does what it is supposed to do very well I just don't get the love affair with these phones. Personally I prefer the total control and complete customization andoid offers but to each their own.

I've played with the iPhone 5 this weekend and while I will say it is snappy and does what it is supposed to do very well I just don't get the love affair with these phones. Personally I prefer the total control and complete customization andoid offers but to each their own.

I can see the craze from the iphone 3 to 4 (new design/screen etc etc...) But this is the same phone (even design wise) as the last two just slightly faster.. I don't get it..

I picked mine up on Friday morning. Really liking it so far. Waiting on a bunch of the apps to be updated but that's not Apple's fault.

Don't jump on me just yet either [H], lol.

I am a Android guy through and through. I love my GSM Galaxy Nexus. I will always buy the newest Nexus phone. Just like I did with the iPhone. They are both great in their own way. Somethings are better on Android, some are better on iOS. Atleast we have a choice. Hell, I have 1 friend that swears by Windows Phone. I haven't used it that much but i'm not against it either.

Pretty crazy that they did sell that many phones over the weekend. I wish more people would buy the Nexus phones, but that's me.

I can see the craze from the iphone 3 to 4 (new design/screen etc etc...) But this is the same phone (even design wise) as the last two just slightly faster.. I don't get it..

"Slightly faster" and "same phone" are untrue.

You're right, it's a phone that's finally caught up/slightly surpasses Android in terms of speed for the next month or two, at which time it will be equal/slower than the current Android generation. That, and you finally get getting some breakthrough features, like the ability to upload photos to social media directly,attach files to email (WOW!), voice turn by turn directions (kinda), and other innovative things that Apple is bringing to the world for the first time. Sounds like you can finally turn off bluetooth without 6 button presses as well, what a relief!

You're right, it's a phone that's finally caught up/slightly surpasses Android in terms of speed for the next month or two, at which time it will be equal/slower than the current Android generation. That, and you finally get getting some breakthrough features, like the ability to upload photos to social media directly,attach files to email (WOW!), voice turn by turn directions (kinda), and other innovative things that Apple is bringing to the world for the first time. Sounds like you can finally turn off bluetooth without 6 button presses as well, what a relief!

Way to miss the point and comparison.

Way to miss the point and comparison.

Sounds like iOS Maps is missing quite a few points (of interest).

Good for Apple, I hope they continue to improve their platform. As it stagnates, it fails to put pressure on Android to better itself, so hopefully iOS 7 will add some significant changes to it's UI like widgets or something else Android is already doing. I suppose they'll make NFC popular in another year or so, once they figure out how to monetize it.

Good for Apple, I hope they continue to improve their platform. As it stagnates, it fails to put pressure on Android to better itself, so hopefully iOS 7 will add some significant changes to it's UI like widgets or something else Android is already doing. I suppose they'll make NFC popular in another year or so, once they figure out how to monetize it.

Let me help you. "Android" isn't a phone. The comparison made was between the iPhone 5 and past iPhones.

Stagnates? Yeah keep thinking that. Did it occur to you that people buy iPhones because they LIKE the interfaces? Why do they have to copy Android's interfaces? I'd hardly say that iPhone's interface is stagnating.

Ok, I admit I was painting with broad strokes with that comment. What I don't understand is what feature in the iPhone 5 causes them to fly off the shelves as if the iPhone 5 has something groundbreaking the iPhone 4 did not have.

I don’t understand people’s fascination with the iPhone 5 either. It’s a really good phone, but it’s basically an iPhone 4S with a slightly taller screen and a different connector.

I use an iPhone 4s at the moment. Previous to that, I had a SGS2. Being locked into the Apple “ecosystem”, I really miss the ability to drag and drop movies, music, ringtones and content without having to use iTunes. I also miss the ability to specify default applications and customize the UI.

Let me help you. "Android" isn't a phone. The comparison made was between the iPhone 5 and past iPhones.

Irregardless of how apple or it's fans/followers/sheep/whatever want to frame the debate, it's iP5 vs Android as a whole. People don't walk into a store and compate the iPhone against 1 android phone, they compare it against all of them.

I admitted that the iP5 was faster, which would of course make it faster than the iP4S. The speed of the A6 is pretty decent, and should hold up for another 2-3 months, before being matched by Android, and another 3 months after that till it's surpassed in 95% of tangible benchmarks.

As I said, good for Apple. They have a comparable phone. Decent hardware backed by the same UI it's always run. Hopefully they further improve what they already have to the benefit of both Android and iOS users. Last time I checked they had 36% of the American smartphone market... I'm sure they'll gain a few percent, then sag even lower before the next launch. Hopefully WP8 will inject some fresh blood into the market, especially with things like Pureview...

lol a lot of chips on a lot of shoulders around here.

I swear, some of you phone zealots are overcompensating for something :p Who really gives a shit what someone spends their money on or what phone they prefer? Do something more constructive with yourselves. It's not that big of a deal

Ok, I admit I was painting with broad strokes with that comment. What I don't understand is what feature in the iPhone 5 causes them to fly off the shelves as if the iPhone 5 has something groundbreaking the iPhone 4 did not have.

People waited, since LTE is a big deal, and SHOULD have been in the iPhone4S, at least if Apple wished to retain any image of actually pushing the limits of hardware. They didn't, and thus we are here now, where Apple is merely catching up to the market.

People don't have to wait for an Android phone, they just buy what's current. Sure you CAN wait, but there's much less of a reason to do so, when you can buy a phone that's less than 3 months old, as opposed to 9+ months old, as per the iPhone 4S.

And so 5 million people bought the iPhone 5, a significant portion of which were ready to buy a phone months ago, but held up for the annual release. My friend waited to buy his first smartphone (a SGS3) since his wife wanted an iPhone. So they both got smartphones Friday...

I guess what brought me to grab the 5 (besides my 4 contract being up) was the familiar no-hassle platform that it offers along with the speed improvements and better screen. I use my phone as a phone, not a tweaking platform.

Irregardless of how apple or it's fans/followers/sheep/whatever want to frame the debate, it's iP5 vs Android as a whole.

After deep consideration, I believe it's yourself that's "framing the debate."

Stagnates? Yeah keep thinking that. Did it occur to you that people buy iPhones because they LIKE the interfaces? Why do they have to copy Android's interfaces? I'd hardly say that iPhone's interface is stagnating.

This is my thing right here, I have a Droid Charge through work, but from what I've seen with people that have the iPhone(bought my GF the 4S), they really like the UI. They don't care about widgets or super customization, they just want all their stuff up front, simply and without complications. Apple's sales time and time again prove that whatever it is they are doing with the iPhone, they are doing right, not matter what either side says.

I also realize to someone reading these forums that setting up the Android "desktop" is jokingly simple, but that's not true for everyone.

I guess what brought me to grab the 5 (besides my 4 contract being up) was the familiar no-hassle platform that it offers along with the speed improvements and better screen. I use my phone as a phone, not a tweaking platform.

Yeah, my folks said the same thing when they bought their Galaxy S3's. Their Droid X's were working fine, but they wanted to stay on an easy to use platform while getting a bigger screen, and a better camera. They use them as featurephones, although their grandchildren use them for games and such as well...

It's tough to make a bad choice nowadays if you stick with the big players like Samsung, Motorola, HTC and Apple. It's only when you delve into the odd players like LG or the <$100 market that things start to get sketchy...

Apple's sales time and time again prove that whatever it is they are doing with the iPhone, they are doing right, not matter what either side says.

I also realize to someone reading these forums that setting up the Android "desktop" is jokingly simple, but that's not true for everyone.

Their marketshare numbers keep falling, showing that when new people buy smartphones, they're largely buying Android. Apple is repeating history (unfortunately) and is going to be a minor player just like they are in the desktop space.

Dragging and dropping icons on both platforms seem staggeringly similar. The main difference being that you can ALSO have widgets on an android phone, which may complicate things, but not overly so. My parents seem to understand the concept well, although they rarely change anything (since they don't care).

I'm thinking of switching and I'll tell you why. I like Android, but I'm on Verizon because they have the largest LTE right now. On Verizon the only Android phone that makes sense right now is the Galaxy S III, and because I want to keep my unlimited plan I have to pay the unsubsidized price of $650 for it. Now, the iPhone 5 is also $650. If I travel to almost anywhere in the world, or if Tmobile refarms their spectrum and I switch to them (or heck even if I go nuts and go to Straight Talk aka AT&T prepaid) the Verizon iPhone 5 will accept the SIM. I won't have to pay roaming, and I'm free to go almost anywhere I want except Sprint because the Verizon model supports a ton of bands. The Galaxy S III - that costs the same - would be totally useless to me without Verizon or out of the country.

My Droid Charge I got last year is worth $7.50 trade in at Amazon. The iPhone 4s? $450 dollar trade in at Amazon. Now, I could probably Ebay the droid charge and get MAYBE $75 before fees, but that's sizable more work than shipping it off to Amazon for guaranteed money. In a year that Galaxy SIII is going to be way outclassed by the Galaxy S IV that we all know is coming - the value of it will probably be $200 IF I'm lucky. The iPhone 5 if I decide to upgrade again? Probably $450 just like the 4S. Apple phones hold value like no other; we could argue why but to deny it is to throw away money if you think there's any chance you might sell the phone in a year and get a new one.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

Most people in the U.S. who are all but locked into two-year contracts upgrading to an iPhone 5 will see a very noticeable difference over the phones they were using in 2010.

Speed is nice, but I've yet to download/purchase any applications that were slow or choppy on my 4s. I assume that application developers will try to remain backwards compatible with the 4 and 4s, so the speed increase might be moot...

The Galaxy S III - that costs the same - would be totally useless to me without Verizon or out of the country.

My Droid Charge I got last year is worth $7.50 trade in at Amazon. The iPhone 4s? $450 dollar trade in at Amazon. Now, I could probably Ebay the droid charge and get MAYBE $75 before fees, but that's sizable more work than shipping it off to Amazon for guaranteed money. In a year that Galaxy SIII is going to be way outclassed by the Galaxy S IV that we all know is coming - the value of it will probably be $200 IF I'm lucky. The iPhone 5 if I decide to upgrade again? Probably $450 just like the 4S. Apple phones hold value like no other; we could argue why but to deny it is to throw away money if you think there's any chance you might sell the phone in a year and get a new one.
If you look at XDA-Developers, you'll see that the Galaxy S3 (Verizon model) can be modded to run on international SIM's, even local T-Mobile sims. Obviously you won't get the latest and greatest LTE dataset, but the phone would function fine.

iPhones do hold their value phenomenally well, I will give them that. Just like their desktops/laptops. It makes no sense, and I can't believe there are suckers out there paying $450 for a used iPhone 4S, but they are out there. A sucker born every minute, as it were...

The best thing about the iPhone 5 launch is that the iPhone 3GS is now discontinued on major carriers. Now greater than HVGA resolution is standard across all platforms...

People waited, since LTE is a big deal, and SHOULD have been in the iPhone4S, at least if Apple wished to retain any image of actually pushing the limits of hardware. They didn't, and thus we are here now, where Apple is merely catching up to the market.

People don't have to wait for an Android phone, they just buy what's current. Sure you CAN wait, but there's much less of a reason to do so, when you can buy a phone that's less than 3 months old, as opposed to 9+ months old, as per the iPhone 4S.

And so 5 million people bought the iPhone 5, a significant portion of which were ready to buy a phone months ago, but held up for the annual release. My friend waited to buy his first smartphone (a SGS3) since his wife wanted an iPhone. So they both got smartphones Friday...

The single chipset LTE solutions weren't available last year. One of the first phones to get it this year for Verizon was the Galaxy S III which hasn't been out very long. The dual chip solutions were terrible (I know, I hate my Droid Charge's instability and how it gets stuck in 3G mode or just plain stuck with no data at all until I restart it), and Apple probably didn't want to deal with the battery drain from the dual chip solutions. When I'm using LTE it sucks battery like nobody's business (3-4 hours battery life from full charge) and from what I hear using LTE on the iPhone 5 nonstop still gives nearly 10 hours.

If you look at XDA-Developers, you'll see that the Galaxy S3 (Verizon model) can be modded to run on international SIM's, even local T-Mobile sims. Obviously you won't get the latest and greatest LTE dataset, but the phone would function fine.

iPhones do hold their value phenomenally well, I will give them that. Just like their desktops/laptops. It makes no sense, and I can't believe there are suckers out there paying $450 for a used iPhone 4S, but they are out there. A sucker born every minute, as it were...

The best thing about the iPhone 5 launch is that the iPhone 3GS is now discontinued on major carriers. Now greater than HVGA resolution is standard across all platforms...

Do you have a thread link? I tried looking all over XDA and the closest I found was a thread with posts yesterday where they were TRYING to get HSPA to work on it, but not successful yet. It says they tried flashing the AT&T baseband to it, the phone didn't brick, but it also can't find any signal at all.

The single chipset LTE solutions weren't available last year. One of the first phones to get it this year for Verizon was the Galaxy S III which hasn't been out very long. The dual chip solutions were terrible (I know, I hate my Droid Charge's instability and how it gets stuck in 3G mode or just plain stuck with no data at all until I restart it), and Apple probably didn't want to deal with the battery drain from the dual chip solutions. When I'm using LTE it sucks battery like nobody's business (3-4 hours battery life from full charge) and from what I hear using LTE on the iPhone 5 nonstop still gives nearly 10 hours.

Fair enough. I just fail to see how people can commend Apple on getting decent/good battery life when they aren't doing anything innovative to get there. Apple releasing a LTE capable iPhone 4S last year that had decent battery life (before the RAZR MAXX) would have been impressive. The iPhone 5 lasting 10hrs on LTE isn't impressive anymore... It's meh. If anything, it's a minimum standard, especially considering that the battery isn't replaceable/cheaply expandable.

Android CAN be on the cutting edge, or you can be conservative/reliable. Thankfully with the Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR HD, etc they can be both. As phone improvements slow down, it'll be harder and harder to buy a crap phone like the Droid Charge, LG Spectrum, Droid Bionic, etc.

Do you have a thread link? I tried looking all over XDA and the closest I found was a thread with posts yesterday where they were TRYING to get HSPA to work on it, but not successful yet. It says they tried flashing the AT&T baseband to it, the phone didn't brick, but it also can't find any signal at all.

I'll try to dig up a link when I get home. Maybe it was at one of the other forums I peruse, but I recall someone getting voice/data working on the VZW GSIII. I could be mistaken, since I don't particularly care (I have unlimited on VZW, so the pricing is justified) but I seem to recall seeing success somewhere...

Speed is nice, but I've yet to download/purchase any applications that were slow or choppy on my 4s. I assume that application developers will try to remain backwards compatible with the 4 and 4s, so the speed increase might be moot...

I'm saying the same thing about my atrix, which is ancient now.

But it works with almost everything, takes fast enough photos, has an awesome screen, been through some marital disputes and all it has is some minor scratching on the plastic.

The only reason I have for upgrading is better battery life (which isn't bad), better camera (still not complaining) and better developer support as its starting to get dropped as a supported device with some apps.

"The numbers reflect sales in less than 10 countries"

That could be 4,900,000 in the US and 100,000 in the other 9.

Seriously though, the US is the has the biggest market for iPhones. It's been pretty useless in Europe before since LTE has been pretty popular/affordable for a while now. Also it seems a lot of people are more interested in Android there, almost everyone of my friends in Germany have Androids.

I caved and bought one. I've had a Droid 2 for the last two years, so it's about time (and the Droid 2 is damn slow). I looked at the Galaxy S 3, and I really hated the cheap glossy plastic cover it had. I purchased a glossy laptop a few years ago. Never again.

Ok, it was mostly because my main music collection is in itunes. So shoot me. But, I really wish that the iphone matched the resolution of the S3. We know that a full 1280x720 resolution is going to be a big selling point in a year or two, as is always the case with Apple products (ie, shipping with a glaring omission, saying no one will notice, then loudly touting it as a big feature in the next release).

But, I really wish that the iphone matched the resolution of the S3. We know that a full 1280x720 resolution is going to be a big selling point in a year or two, as is always the case with Apple products (ie, shipping with a glaring omission, saying no one will notice, then loudly touting it as a big feature in the next release).
I'm not sure why this would matter. Do you want 1280x720 in the 4" screen size or do you want a larger screen? Considering the iPhone's display passes 'Retina' levels, where individuals pixels can't be discerned at typical viewing distances, of what benefit would the greater pixel density be?

A lot of video sources are 1280x720, and scaling is never good for image quality.

The eye has a lot more resolution than people give it credit for. I don't claim to have terribly good eyesight, but I've always noticed individual pixels on every device that I've owned, from my 2560x1600 desktop monitor to the 2048 x 1536 ipad 3. They're a whole lot less so in the ipad 3 (generally only noticeable on sharp edges at normal usage distances) but benefit is there, and at 1280x720, they could avoid a good number of scaling issues.

A lot of video sources are 1280x720, and scaling is never good for image quality.

The eye has a lot more resolution than people give it credit for. I don't claim to have terribly good eyesight, but I've always noticed individual pixels on every device that I've owned, from my 2560x1600 desktop monitor to the 2048 x 1536 ipad 3. They're a whole lot less so in the ipad 3 (generally only noticeable on sharp edges at normal usage distances) but benefit is there, and at 1280x720, they could avoid a good number of scaling issues.

I completely agree with you for 3D and games (running 1080p on my 720p set, PS3 games look horrible), but to be perfectly honest with you, I've never once noticed any sort of distortion from downscaling a video. Especially on a small screen like a phone

I thought the iP5 was delayed because of Samsung's suit that it infringed upon it's 4G LTE tech patent. Whatever happened to that? Was that sooo last week?

Back