The Apple iPhone 5 Has Reportedly Been Jailbroken

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This bit of news falls under the ‘what took you guys so long’ category. It only took several hours, mainly because most of the ground work had already been done on other devices, but the iPhone 5 running iOS6 has (un)officially been jailbroken (is that even a word)? :D

Even if this jailbreak is confirmed by others in the community, the tools to do it for your own iPhone 5 won’t be available for a while. Nevertheless, this first step means the software will be developed sooner rather than later.

Being able to bypass the Berlin Wall through various means throughout its existence wasn't great news back then?
Matter of perspective. That was was terrible news for the government that wanted the wall to be an effective measure.

Same thing here. This is yet another exploit that Apple has to patch.

A security hole is great news? :confused:

Nothing is truly secure. Android devices get rooted all the time, but it is getting harder with every new update.

What would be sad is if nobody could root or jailbreak these devices. I know I would stop getting these devices if I didn't have my freedom.

What I'd like to know is why hasn't Apple or Android manufacturer's just give up and give users the option to enable such a feature? We shroud this with names like root and jailbreak, so that customers don't know the sad fact that there was a severe security risk that everyone knows that exists on your phone or tablet device.

Honestly I'm not sure why Apple is so against the jailbreaking community anyway.

They in turn do what Apple is too lazy to do and that's offer customization and tweaks to the OS.

I think a lot of people mix "jailbreaking" with "pirating" and while, yes, you can pirate software through Cydia when the phone is jailbroken, there's actually better reasons to jailbreak and utilities such as SBSettings that makes things more convenient that Apple didn't bother to put in.

Yes I'm an iPhone user, but that's not to say I don't use android devices either. Just my preference.

If anyone's ever played WoW, I consider it somewhat like the mods that come out for the UI. Blizzard doesn't let you just outwardly run bots or do anything illegal, but with every "patch," most of those tweaks are broken and so you have to wait for the next update to the "mod." And that to me is what jailbreaking really is.. its not pirating per say, its the convenience of being able to mod the stock UI.. for the iphone at least.

Being able to bypass the Berlin Wall through various means throughout its existence wasn't great news back then?

Or one could simply use a more open device to begin with.

Nothing is truly secure. Android devices get rooted all the time, but it is getting harder with every new update.

What would be sad is if nobody could root or jailbreak these devices. I know I would stop getting these devices if I didn't have my freedom.

What I'd like to know is why hasn't Apple or Android manufacturer's just give up and give users the option to enable such a feature? We shroud this with names like root and jailbreak, so that customers don't know the sad fact that there was a severe security risk that everyone knows that exists on your phone or tablet device.

This is actually the way some manufacturers are going now. The difficulty in rooting Android is actually down to who makes the phone (or more rarely, who SELLS the phone... Looking at you, Verizon.) Locked bootloaders also are not a gamestopper, either.

HTC phones do require an unlock key but once applied, your phone is now root enabled without the need for an exploit. For me, it was as simple as getting the token, signing up and getting emailed a device unlock key to flash via USB. HTC even provides full instructions on their site on how to do this for nearly every model of phone they've sold. Once I had it unlocked, I had root. No need for rageagainstthecage or zergrush and the various exploits that were used to get root before. Flash a SuperUser utility and you're done. That, IMHO, is the right way to do it.

Honestly I'm not sure why Apple is so against the jailbreaking community anyway.

They in turn do what Apple is too lazy to do and that's offer customization and tweaks to the OS.

I think a lot of people mix "jailbreaking" with "pirating" and while, yes, you can pirate software through Cydia when the phone is jailbroken, there's actually better reasons to jailbreak and utilities such as SBSettings that makes things more convenient that Apple didn't bother to put in.

Yes I'm an iPhone user, but that's not to say I don't use android devices either. Just my preference.

If anyone's ever played WoW, I consider it somewhat like the mods that come out for the UI. Blizzard doesn't let you just outwardly run bots or do anything illegal, but with every "patch," most of those tweaks are broken and so you have to wait for the next update to the "mod." And that to me is what jailbreaking really is.. its not pirating per say, its the convenience of being able to mod the stock UI.. for the iphone at least.

well, because its Apple, they usually want to lock anything they can on their OS (IOS or OSX), because its their general belief that if the user has less access to anything in the OS, the less chances are there for the user to actually break the OS,in a way its security through obscurity which is complete bull,lol

I'm not sure I follow your logic. A total lack of root exploits sounds like a good thing to me.

Shouldn't need a root exploit to do what you want with the device. I know Android is getting there... Windows Phone 8 actually does away with "Developer Unlocking" devices and lets anyone sideload applications, so it doesn't need to be rooted.

A security hole is great news? :confused:

Why is jailbreaking a security hole? Jailbreaking might lead to its own related security holes, but the capacity to modify a device for different functionality doesn't mean there's a security hole.

I don't think Apple is too lazy for doing it. They want a closed economic system. They don't want you to get apps through unauthorized sources. As for the UI, they want it to be recognizable. The more you change the UI, the less recognizable that it is an Apple product. It is part of brand recognition.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. A total lack of root exploits sounds like a good thing to me.

Shouldn't need a root exploit to do what you want with the device. I know Android is getting there... Windows Phone 8 actually does away with "Developer Unlocking" devices and lets anyone sideload applications, so it doesn't need to be rooted.

You want a list?
#1 Tethering, and I mean really good tethering. Not the free app store crap that requires me to install drivers onto my PC.

#2 For backup applications like Titanium, which can also serve as a method to remove carrier apps.

#3 To be able to install clean roms that aren't draining battery life with useless apps that just take up precious space.

#4 To remove Carrier IQ.

#5 Upgrades, kernels, and improvements for devices which are ignored often. A popular event for Android devices.

Not a fan of the iPhone or Apple. Wasn't even impressed with my cousin's 4S. But if I was absolutely forced to have one and use it, it'd be jailbroken just on principle.

I don't think Apple is too lazy for doing it. They want a closed economic system. They don't want you to get apps through unauthorized sources. As for the UI, they want it to be recognizable. The more you change the UI, the less recognizable that it is an Apple product. It is part of brand recognition.

You want a list?
#1 Tethering, and I mean really good tethering. Not the free app store crap that requires me to install drivers onto my PC.

#2 For backup applications like Titanium, which can also serve as a method to remove carrier apps.

#3 To be able to install clean roms that aren't draining battery life with useless apps that just take up precious space.

#4 To remove Carrier IQ.

#5 Upgrades, kernels, and improvements for devices which are ignored often. A popular event for Android devices.

Plus mother effin ONE.

I gained almost a full day of battery life just removing Sprint's CiQ off my Epic. Stock ROM for it is a joke. For me, GPS was either broken or pathetically weak at best, and keyboard lag was so annoying I wanted to throw the damn thing at a wall (for me it affected both actual and virtual keyboard). Now on CM7, I have no keyboard lag, and GPS actually works. One of the gps apps I used said it was accurate within a foot. That's pretty damn accurate, and amazing compared to "your current location is: Earth...I think..."

Matter of perspective. That was was terrible news for the government that wanted the wall to be an effective measure.
One perspective is about intention - to lock people out...or to lock people IN?
This is still about as bad as a car analogy.

I can't speak for cellphones (I refuse to use a smartphone because I don't want people expecting me to respond to e-mail 24/7 and I also think the cell phone companies are scam artists) but on tablets, most manufacturers are now providing tools to unlock their bootloaders. For example, ASUS provides a tool on their website for my Infinity tablet that unlocks the bootloading to allow custom firmware. Rooting is as easy as plugging the tablet into my USB port and running a shell script that I wrote.

I suspect that phones are different at the behest of cell phone companies; most cell phone companies lock down your phone above and beyond what the stock Android or the manufacturer of the phone does (another reason why I won't buy a smartphone). Cell phones come loaded with all kinds of tracking features (both for the government to spy on you and for their own profit) and allowing you to disable that would be a bad thing from their standpoint.

You want a list?

#4 To remove Carrier IQ.

I'm still not following you. The removal of all root exploits (which is a GOOD THING) does not preclude the possibility of anything on that list...

The OS just has to allow it from the beginning.

I'm still not following you. The removal of all root exploits (which is a GOOD THING) does not preclude the possibility of anything on that list...

The OS just has to allow it from the beginning.

Let's put it another way.

How effective would you be at using Windows if you could never have administrator privileges?

How effective would you be at using Windows if you could never have administrator privileges?
What does administrative privileges have to do with a root exploit?

A user of sufficient privilege level can grant applications on a Windows PC administrative privileges as they wish. This is a feature of the security model and does not require a root exploit to accomplish.

What does administrative privileges have to do with a root exploit?

A user of sufficient privilege level can grant applications on a Windows PC administrative privileges as they wish. This is a feature of the security model and does not require a root exploit to accomplish.

root is the UNIX equivalent to Administrator.

There is no way, other than rooting a device, to grant applications root privileges.

Apple doesn't like jail breaking because it means potentially more support costs for them fixing things people are breaking because most people jail breaking their phones probably should not be messing with that.

It also opens up their phones to things people wont pay Apple for...

But if I was absolutely forced to have one and use it, it'd be jailbroken just on principle.

THIS^

Overcoming the lame ass restrictions Apple puts on their devices is satisfying enough that doing it for no purpose other than the sake of doing it is delightful.

This made me highly amused that the iPhone 5 was jailbroken on the same day it was released.

One perspective is about intention - to lock people out...or to lock people IN?
This is still about as bad as a car analogy.

*facepalm*

Why is it OR? In the case of the Berlin Wall, they lock people in so they don't get to go to the West, they also lock people out so they don't get to bring "unpatriotic" goods/ideology/etc.

In the case of the iPhone, you lock people "out" through not being able to use proper tethering, for example. You lock people in by the inherent nature of iOS.

There will always be people that LIKE being locked in -- sad really. in the magical make believe world of Apple -- it's the people who constantly derp about "never getting a virus". Nevermind that Apple OS has a what? 8% share of the market. That has nothing to do with it right? *eyeroll*

I love a good hack - but it's amusing that at the same time the hacking and tomfoolery is going on, the iFanatics can still be so in love with Apple and the way they constantly spit in the face of their customer base. (be it lockdowns, or getting screwed out of a dock adapter that costs them 50 cents to make).

root is the UNIX equivalent to Administrator.
I know that... you used a Windows PC as an example so I used Windows terminology.

There is no way, other than rooting a device, to grant applications root privileges.
You keep stating in absolute terms that there's no way to elevate applications without exploits... but that's obviously not the case, since it IS possible to elevate applications on many operating systems without using exploits (it's simply a feature of the security model accessible to administrators on the system).

Go back over the example I gave previously; I have an admin account on my desktop PC, so I can grant any application I want admin privs on the system... no root exploit was required to pull that off, so running applications with root privileges is obviously not exclusive to devices with root exploits.

That's what he's arguing for: the ability to do that out of the box.
There we go!

Back