Facebook Now Tracks What You Search

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ummm, this is a bit creepy. The upside? Facebook will keep track of your searches for 55 gallon drums of lube so you don't have to repeatedly look for it when you are out. :D

Starting today, in addition to your other activity, you'll be able to see the searches you're making on Facebook. Just as you can choose to delete any of your posts, you can use the same inline control on Activity Log to remove any of your searches at any time. It's important to remember that no one else can see your Activity Log, including your search activity.

It's important to remember that no one else can see your Activity Log, including your search activity.
Except for anyone FB sells it to. :(

I deactivated my FB account a long time ago. Privacy is non-existent with them...

I deactivated my FB account a long time ago. Privacy is non-existent with them...

This! I don't care what anyone says, when somethings free you're the product being sold and I don't appreciate it, not one bit! I might not be able to stop the spying/tracking/logging/data mining with everything in my life but I can at least try to curb it and FB is not a necessity in mybookdotcom.

Man though, sometimes I really feel like a animal on a farm with free range but every single thing I do is collected and analyzed. Next thing I'll find out my toilet flushes are monitored by the shit factory to see what I ate and what can be done (sold to me) about that too.

Am I short-sighted? What is the point of this in the end user perspective?

Doesn't Google do the same thing, except they keep a list of everything you search for on the web whereas FB it's just for their site? Yes I know that with Google you can supposedly turn it off, but are you really, lol.

This! I don't care what anyone says, when somethings free you're the product being sold and I don't appreciate it, not one bit! I might not be able to stop the spying/tracking/logging/data mining with everything in my life but I can at least try to curb it and FB is not a necessity in mybookdotcom.

Man though, sometimes I really feel like a animal on a farm with free range but every single thing I do is collected and analyzed. Next thing I'll find out my toilet flushes are monitored by the shit factory to see what I ate and what can be done (sold to me) about that too.

That is a good idea... brb forming some patents!

FB has been sued a couple times from my memory alone over logging individuals even after logging out of FB. I'd assume they DID fix their "glitch" after the second case though...lol

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20114163-245/facebook-sued-over-tracking-users-after-logout/
Oh I know all about that. But with this new thing about keeping a running list of search history is no different than what Google does. Except Google does it web wise and FB is just on their site that we know of, lol.

Yes, because Facebook is going to track someone who looks up those creep-tastic cat toys. :eek:

You're just jealous that you didn't buy your cat an Hartz Aqua Bizzy Ball first. :D Anyway, Facebook can totally track all the want and it doesn't matter one little bit to me. Nyah! :p

Paranoid bullshit that has no effect on your daily life.

Ten individual nuclear bombs dropped (by the US) on ten separate countries "has no effect on my daily life" while residing within the United States of America either. However I'd like to think I'm smarter than that. But to each his own I guess, ignorance is bliss after all.

I bet the patriot act is fine with you as well since it doesn't affect your daily life. Point: Sure thing, genius!

Note: The [H] just got a lot more views (from the NSA/DHS) from my above statement. Your weclome...lol

I doubt the NSA is that interested in [H]. Though _if_ they were here, they'd probably click on a commissioned buying link. :cool:

Ten individual nuclear bombs dropped (by the US) on ten separate countries "has no effect on my daily life" while residing within the United States of America either. However I'd like to think I'm smarter than that. But to each his own I guess, ignorance is bliss after all.
It does when those countries start attacking the US in retaliation or your child/spouse/parent is sent to fight in that country :p

To me, there's no privacy when we're on the internet. In every site and ever services, there will always be someone who can access them.

So, I always keep the private stuff off the internet. There's no reason to upload a photo on Facebook if we don't want others to see it.

The recent "snitch on your friends" dialog box is making me think to seriously delete my fb account

privacy is non-existent on most of the internet, sites a have been tracking your usage since the internet began using something called.... cookies!

Nothing really new here?

Havn't logged into bookface since feb. Too much clutter and to be frank I don't give a flying fook about most of the irrelevant crap that is posted on there. Been absolutely great and I think it's going to stay that way, may go and clear it all out and delete all the crap if I'm not going to use it again.

Just like bebo and the rest of these sites, facebook will fade away.

privacy is non-existent on most of the internet, sites a have been tracking your usage since the internet began using something called.... cookies!

Nothing really new here?

I agree that privacy is (becoming) non-existent on most of the internet because it's (becoming) non-existent in most of everyday life now. That's not the solution though, that's the biggest problem IMO (unplug, sure!)! However 80% of the sites I regularly visit on the internet don't know I'm actually me and none of the other 20% data mine like FB dares to (although search engines are a close second). When I was first on FB, it had a very comprehensive file on me. All of my real and accurate information along with every single thing I ever typed on the site, liked, listened to, watched, read, quoted, etc. Looking back it feels like I was participating in an online psych eval...lol. It's just too much information to be regularly collected (for profit) IMPO.

So to me that's definitely NOT the same thing as cookies, at all. I can easily clean/clear cookies and get a new IP all the time, actually every time I restart. However I can't erase my FB information (permanently on their end). Or any other data every government agency or corporation is trying to collect on everyone 24/7/365 now.

So it's new and very different today, at least in my opinion anyway. I was naive then and have since learned I shouldn't feed this data mining world we live in anymore than I already do. When the government and corporations live in secrecy but constantly promote transparency ("if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about") for everyone else one should at least think twice about the reality of it all. I mean after all, corporations are people too and I don't want any one person having all of my personal confidential information. This is just me though, I care!

Nothing really new here?
Because they reside on my machine, I have full control over those cookies. I can block or delete them.

I don't at all have any problem with them adding this feature.

I don’t have any problems with it either (not because I don’t use FaceBook), as long as they don’t say that I went to places when I didn’t.

I am tempted to set up an account, though, and then go to all the bad sites just to see what happens.

all those privacy worries, fill fake details when creating acounts on web and you have it done

I don’t have any problems with it either (not because I don’t use FaceBook), as long as they don’t say that I went to places when I didn’t.

I am tempted to set up an account, though, and then go to all the bad sites just to see what happens.

I was kinda tempted to setup an account so that I could post stuff that would get reported to police, but not actually do it so that I could help undermine the usefulness of the Facebook reporting functions.

I kinda want to know who is doing their internet searches through facebook instead of opening another tab to google ?

I bet the patriot act is fine with you as well since it doesn't affect your daily life. Point: Sure thing, genius!

Note: The [H] just got a lot more views (from the NSA/DHS) from my above statement. Your weclome...lol

You're trying to liken atomic bombs being dropped to targeted advertising? :rolleyes:

Next thing I'll find out my toilet flushes are monitored by the shit factory to see what I ate and what can be done (sold to me) about that too.

Don't give them ideas, they're obviously tracking you right now.

The only real point to this tracking I see is that it just gives another way for Facebook to exploit its users. Is there a way to opt out of this crap?

Back