An Instrument For the Sonification of Everday Things

That advert was annoying, and the guy acted like that embarrasing uncle.

It's a simplified theremin with a turny thing above, and no volume control. :p

i don't get this what's the point of this, may be better sonar but i'm pretty sure with today's tech we can get something better to get around rocks and stuff that are under water. than who knows might be better to check for live persons underneath flooded area.

As a biologist I'm accustomed to hearing about sonification in regards to cell disruption... I clicked the link imagining they were destroying objects using sound ;-) lol

As a biologist I'm accustomed to hearing about sonification in regards to cell disruption... I clicked the link imagining they were destroying objects using sound ;-) lol

Wait... that would be sonication. I fail at my own field.

It's similar to a theremin, but the idea of rotating objects rotisserie-style to create repetition is novel. In many ways, the controller is what makes or breaks a synthesizer, and new ways of controlling them in different ways are always welcome. One of my favorites, the Swarmatron, uses a ribbon controller as opposed to a conventional keyboard, and the sound you can get out of thanks in part to its ribbon controller is just incredibly cool.

I think this is very cool. I love the sound you get even from the simple cardboard box, to me it's kind of unexpected which makes it intriguing.

I think it needs some more creative processing, the sounds were a little raw, but as a visual learner and a lover of music this really does it!

Would be cool to see the effect of constant linear scan across the length of the object as it is rotating also. Lots of potential.

I like him to replace those objects with real a chicken or a turkey

That would be awesome.. I wonder what a squirming chicken or turkey would look like.. or were you thinking like a ready to be cooked chicken or turkey?

The mental image of a live chicken or turkey rotating on that device gave me a really good laugh. Course PETA might not like it.. but it would be worth it just to see them get mad.

Back