Wal-Mart Stops Selling Amazon Kindles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wal-Mart is no longer selling Kindles? Hell, I didn't realize the store even carried Kindles.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc will no longer sell Amazon.com Inc's Kindle eReaders and tablets, severing its relationship with a major competitor and placing a bet that consumers are more interested in Apple's iPad and other gadgets. The world's largest retailer, which has been trying to catch up to Amazon in online sales, said the decision was consistent with its overall merchandising strategy.

buynlarge.jpg

Walmart has some weird ways of doing things. I work for a beer distributor and have to deal with them often and they're lunatics. Probably why they're starting to decline lately.

Walmart has some weird ways of doing things. I work for a beer distributor and have to deal with them often and they're lunatics. Probably why they're starting to decline lately.

Care to explain just curious thanks.

Didn't Target stop selling Kindles fairly recently, too? All the ones around where I live just carry Nooks, Kobos, Sonys, and some white one with gold buttons.

i speculate that amazon is eating into their sales... so why help to build your own gallows.

Wasn't there an article last week about Amazon running out of Kindles to distribute?

i speculate that amazon is eating into their sales... so why help to build your own gallows.

Bingo ... that is why Target stopped selling them ... as long as Amazon was primarily a book seller they didn't care ... when Amazon started selling everything (cloths, shoes, appliances, groceries, etc) they became a direct competitor ... only a fool helps his competition overwhelm his other markets ;)

Expect the Walmart tablet <Tabmart> to make an introduction this Holiday season.

well i work at walmart and i can tell u the kindle section in my dpt is all fucked up like its worth nothing lol and the apple stand is nice and clean.

Wasn't there an article last week about Amazon running out of Kindles to distribute?

They sold through there entire product of Kindle Fire's I think you mean. I'm sure they have more than enough regular Kindle's to go around.

Wally world stopping sales on Kindle must mean they are planning to offer a competitive solution sometime soon and don't wish to bolster the competition with increased sales in the mean time. That or Amazon has decided to shift Kindle's directly into its channel only in order to direct customer to a more expensive solution.

Amazon is pretty obsessed lately with doing same day delivery's now.

They sold out of the old Kindle Fire - the new ones I'm sure they have plenty of. It makes sense for Wal-Mart to do this as Amazon is a direct competitor. I think Amazon and Wal-Mart should join forces as the Wal-Mart.com site is IMO terrible. If Wal-Mart and Amazon joined together they really would be the biggest retailer ever.

Care to explain just curious thanks.

Well the first thing that pops out is them having 3 checkout lanes open when there are 50 people in line all staring at the 50 other empty lanes. They're cutting back on labor big time and the cashiers are where theyre trimming the most.

There was a customer that wanted Moosehead beer. He wanted it, the store manager wanted it but we couldn't bring it in because it wasn't authorized for that store thru the corporate office. We tried, along with the store manager, to get it authorized for months but never did. That was a couple years ago and its STILL not authorized. Stores like Publix or BiLo will bring in stuff that customers ask for regardless if it's "authorized" or not. There are plenty of ways around it. Walmart just refuses to do it.

Retailers have to pay a wholesale beer tax and its weird. One case might have be $27.18 but if you buy 2, it'll be $27.19 cause the way they round up or some stupid thing. Problem is that when you scan it in at receiving, it scans in at the $27.18 price. Since my invoice is 1 stinking penny higher, they refuse that product. Even if I offer to change the invoice by hand, they still refuse it even if its a product that flys off the shelf. Some Walmarts will refuse the ENTIRE ORDER if 1 item is off by 1¢!

Then there is the shitty way they treat vendors and distributors like slaves. Treating your suppliers and vendors like garbage builds no loyalty and we all go out of our ways to help the Publix and BiLo down the street but will do little more than is necessary to help the Walmart on out route cause we all basically want them to die in a fire.

None of the other stores from Publix to BiLo to Food Lion give us any problems like this. Just Walmart.

None of the other stores from Publix to BiLo to Food Lion give us any problems like this. Just Walmart.

Wal Mart in my area caused both the local Bi-Lo and Food Lion to go out of business :( .

Food Lions are all but gone but BiLo is still putting up a good fight in my area. Publix is doing very well around here as well. Their prices aren't that much higher than Walmarts but they're putting an emphasis on customer service and it seems to be working. CVS and Walgreens are seeing a big bump in business lately because people would rather pay a few bucks more to be able run in, grab a few things and get out all in a couple minutes.

The low prices of Walmart was cool for a while but eventually people got tired of them it seems. I still shop there but find myself in BiLo or Target more often.

Publix is the best grocery chain I have ever been in. I wished they expanded to where I live now in MS.

Well the first thing that pops out is them having 3 checkout lanes open when there are 50 people in line all staring at the 50 other empty lanes. They're cutting back on labor big time and the cashiers are where theyre trimming the most.

There was a customer that wanted Moosehead beer. He wanted it, the store manager wanted it but we couldn't bring it in because it wasn't authorized for that store thru the corporate office. We tried, along with the store manager, to get it authorized for months but never did. That was a couple years ago and its STILL not authorized. Stores like Publix or BiLo will bring in stuff that customers ask for regardless if it's "authorized" or not. There are plenty of ways around it. Walmart just refuses to do it.

Retailers have to pay a wholesale beer tax and its weird. One case might have be $27.18 but if you buy 2, it'll be $27.19 cause the way they round up or some stupid thing. Problem is that when you scan it in at receiving, it scans in at the $27.18 price. Since my invoice is 1 stinking penny higher, they refuse that product. Even if I offer to change the invoice by hand, they still refuse it even if its a product that flys off the shelf. Some Walmarts will refuse the ENTIRE ORDER if 1 item is off by 1¢!

Then there is the shitty way they treat vendors and distributors like slaves. Treating your suppliers and vendors like garbage builds no loyalty and we all go out of our ways to help the Publix and BiLo down the street but will do little more than is necessary to help the Walmart on out route cause we all basically want them to die in a fire.

point #1: Walmart did that when I worked there in the mid 90s. They do it because people tolerate it, not because they are losing money and want to cut back on labor.

point #2: Walmart is all about maximizing the sale potential of every square foot of their store. Their goal has never been variety, it's been to carry what sells the most. Because you kept going back and just dealing with it kind of proves they are right.

point #3-5 Again, maximizing profit. You've must never seen the backroom storage boxes that have "This box cost the company $.55" There was also a good story somewhere online a few years ago talking about how Walmart bullied Vlassic Pickles into producing a large bottle of pickles that they knew they couldn't profit from and was more than a family could eat before they went bad. They bully because they know they are the largest market place that almost no one refuses.

Walmart has problems but it's due to no longer having low hanging fruit to grow profits from. They are everywhere people want them, their competition has just as great buying power, and some consumers prefer smaller stores now (thus why WM is now pushing neighborhood markets in more areas than super centers) There's plenty of people who are still attracted by price, but more and more don't mind paying a few dollars more if they can get in and out in 15m instead of wasting a hour parking, walking to the back and waiting 30m in line.

They sold through there entire product of Kindle Fire's I think you mean. I'm sure they have more than enough regular Kindle's to go around.

Wally world stopping sales on Kindle must mean they are planning to offer a competitive solution sometime soon and don't wish to bolster the competition with increased sales in the mean time. That or Amazon has decided to shift Kindle's directly into its channel only in order to direct customer to a more expensive solution.

Amazon is pretty obsessed lately with doing same day delivery's now.

That was my bad. I wasn't thinking of the e-ink Kindles. Just the Fire.

Amazon is simply a better company than Walmart, but let's not fool ourselves -- both of these companies are swallowing the competition -- Walmart with much less tact and a lower ethos. It is the nature of business these days with the efficiency with which these companies can dish out their wares. Smaller businesses need to adapt to the newer environment or disappear.

+2 - As someone who works as a large supplier of IT products that are all over retailers - collecting from their outsourced accounts payable is RIDICULOUS. They aren't just bad - they are above and beyond bad.

point #1: Walmart did that when I worked there in the mid 90s. They do it because people tolerate it, not because they are losing money and want to cut back on labor.

point #2: Walmart is all about maximizing the sale potential of every square foot of their store. Their goal has never been variety, it's been to carry what sells the most. Because you kept going back and just dealing with it kind of proves they are right.

point #3-5 Again, maximizing profit. You've must never seen the backroom storage boxes that have "This box cost the company $.55" There was also a good story somewhere online a few years ago talking about how Walmart bullied Vlassic Pickles into producing a large bottle of pickles that they knew they couldn't profit from and was more than a family could eat before they went bad. They bully because they know they are the largest market place that almost no one refuses.

Walmart has problems but it's due to no longer having low hanging fruit to grow profits from. They are everywhere people want them, their competition has just as great buying power, and some consumers prefer smaller stores now (thus why WM is now pushing neighborhood markets in more areas than super centers) There's plenty of people who are still attracted by price, but more and more don't mind paying a few dollars more if they can get in and out in 15m instead of wasting a hour parking, walking to the back and waiting 30m in line.

Some might - but others won't tolerate it. I am one of them. I won't step foot in that god forsaken wasteland of shit. The idea of corporations is not to maintain - it is to grow. They will lose if this continues. Mark my words.

The store chain has a reputation for trashy customers. Trashy employee's. Trashy Stores. - and being tashy to their suppliers. They will fall.

Some might - but others won't tolerate it. I am one of them. I won't step foot in that god forsaken wasteland of shit. The idea of corporations is not to maintain - it is to grow. They will lose if this continues. Mark my words.

The store chain has a reputation for trashy customers. Trashy employee's. Trashy Stores. - and being tashy to their suppliers. They will fall.

I don't think their failure is on the immediate horizon. All things die off eventually however.

I was thinking maybe Apple told them to stop selling them, then I read your post and know I am sure of it - especially after reading the second to last paragraph and remembering what goes on at Foxxcomm (sp?)

According to the managers at my Walmarts, and Ive known these guys for years, they say theyre doing it because theyre having to cut back on hours.

When you have customers asking for certain products, telling them to fuck off is kinda stupid IMO. Its not like it would take a whole reset of the grocery department to bring in a case of beer that a customer was asking for. Wouldnt have been a problem at all. Publix and BiLo have no problem doing that. Im sure their is some pencil pusher sitting at a desk somewhere at Walmart corporate office that thinks thats a good idea - I dont.

I hear ya but trust me, this has nothing to do with maximizing profits. This is some idiot sitting in an office that wants to be super anal about their little policies because they can. This changes depending on whos in charge. The whole thing of refusing an entire order if one item is one penny off depends on who is the accounting manager at that particular store. This is something that has no effect on their total price cause we're willing to meet their price - they just dont want a handwritten correction on their invoice. Again, theyre the only company we service that has this stupid idea. Walmart is chock full of stupid "just because I can make you" policies. Some Walmarts make us all wear vendor ID Id badges. The Coke guy has "Coke" written on his hat, shirt and pants AND has a company ID badge yet he still has to wear a Walmart name badge with "vendor" HAND WRITTEN ON IT! Guess they had a rash of people sneaking in to their stores and stocking their shelves for them. :rolleyes:

Youre right about the bullying though and we do kiss their asses like you wouldnt believe because we sell so much stuff thru their stores. However, as places like Publix and Target start to take a bite out of their sales, there are more and more examples of vendors and distributors standing up to them a little more. Ive never understood why we just dont form a vendors union. 2/3 of their stock is delivered, merchandised and serviced by vendors. The only cost they have is having to pay a cashier to check it out. They need us more than we need them but we still kiss their asses. Its frustrating to say the least.

They simply do not wish to sell a competitor's products, these products also let customers purchase other goods that Walmart sells other than tablets. They don't want to sell the rope which hangs them, they are not stupid.

According to the managers at my Walmarts, and Ive known these guys for years, they say theyre doing it because theyre having to cut back on hours.

When you have customers asking for certain products, telling them to fuck off is kinda stupid IMO. Its not like it would take a whole reset of the grocery department to bring in a case of beer that a customer was asking for. Wouldnt have been a problem at all. Publix and BiLo have no problem doing that. Im sure their is some pencil pusher sitting at a desk somewhere at Walmart corporate office that thinks thats a good idea - I dont.

I hear ya but trust me, this has nothing to do with maximizing profits. This is some idiot sitting in an office that wants to be super anal about their little policies because they can. This changes depending on whos in charge. The whole thing of refusing an entire order if one item is one penny off depends on who is the accounting manager at that particular store. This is something that has no effect on their total price cause we're willing to meet their price - they just dont want a handwritten correction on their invoice. Again, theyre the only company we service that has this stupid idea. Walmart is chock full of stupid "just because I can make you" policies. Some Walmarts make us all wear vendor ID Id badges. The Coke guy has "Coke" written on his hat, shirt and pants AND has a company ID badge yet he still has to wear a Walmart name badge with "vendor" HAND WRITTEN ON IT! Guess they had a rash of people sneaking in to their stores and stocking their shelves for them. :rolleyes:

Youre right about the bullying though and we do kiss their asses like you wouldnt believe because we sell so much stuff thru their stores. However, as places like Publix and Target start to take a bite out of their sales, there are more and more examples of vendors and distributors standing up to them a little more. Ive never understood why we just dont form a vendors union. 2/3 of their stock is delivered, merchandised and serviced by vendors. The only cost they have is having to pay a cashier to check it out. They need us more than we need them but we still kiss their asses. Its frustrating to say the least.

They always want to cut back on hours. About the only time you can count on making decent money at Walmart is from roughly November to the beginning of January. Then they usually don't care if you do over time and will have a decent amount of staff. Otherwise they'll cut your hours in half from January to roughly Mothers day to make up for what they paid over Christmas and then go to normal 37 full time 28 part time after that. (or something like that it's been a while)

In the end it's to make sure that the managers get a good bonus at the end of the year. I remember the store manager at the store I worked at buying a monster truck with his, all while saying they have to cut hours and shrink is too high for profit sharing. It's all designed to keep the workers trying to do more with less because most of them won't ever question it

Back