Taiwan Company Fined $500M for LCD Price Fixing

HardOCP News

[H] News
A $500 million fine and three years in jail for LCD price fixing seems about right. I just want to know who gets all that money?

A Taiwanese company was fined $500 million Thursday and its former president and executive vice president were each sentenced to three years in prison for their leading roles in a global LCD screen price-fixing conspiracy. The U.S. Department of Justice complained the punishments were not enough. Federal prosecutors demanded a $1 billion fine and a 10-year prison sentence for the executives.

Do an Apple, and demand for $3 billion, a 20 year prison sentence, and they have swim across a alligator filled lake with bacon stripes tied around their bodies.

ya i wonder why isnt apple sued with price fixing yet.

also bose

The DOJ is full of shit. I haven't seen them send ANY UBS, BOA, JP Morgan, or Goldman Sachs Execs to jail either and they don't complain. They only guy they sent to jail was the whistle blower that got the IRS hunting the tax evaders.

I wonder who the Pres and EVP pissed off in the DOJ? I guess they didn't "pay to play".

And yet all the assholes behind our economy crash walked away with hundreds of millions of dollars each. There's justice for you.

I agree guys. Every service we pay for seems to have price fixing such as cable, phone and gas, yet doj has been spending years on busting this stuff acting like they are doing us a favor.

I agree guys. Every service we pay for seems to have price fixing such as cable, phone and gas, yet doj has been spending years on busting this stuff acting like they are doing us a favor.

If these guys made campaign contributions, then the DoJ would have been silent

You know how you can get back at the Taiwanese? Call them CHINESE. Drives a lot of them crazy.

The DOJ is full of shit. I haven't seen them send ANY UBS, BOA, JP Morgan, or Goldman Sachs Execs to jail either and they don't complain. They only guy they sent to jail was the whistle blower that got the IRS hunting the tax evaders.

Nice, I was going to say that too.

That's because we now have a "government of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy". The wealthy have bought off enough politicians that they effectively own the country.

We're just along for the ride. Do keep your hands inside the car, the drop off on the cliff ahead is steep and rough.:D

Ouch...

ya i wonder why isnt apple sued with price fixing yet.
LOL, Apple doesn't price-fix, they overtly charge an arm and a leg regardless of what anyone else is selling.

Anyhoo, too bad this money will never trickle back down to the consumers that were impacted by it. As is the way of things.

You know how you can get back at the Taiwanese? Call them CHINESE. Drives a lot of them crazy.

You rebel you! Next we're going to catch you calling Scottish people English. That'll teach 'em.

Or we could call people from Atlanta Altlantians! Or the people from Avalon could be called Avon Salespersons! Oooh what if we called all the Douglas Fir trees evergreens?! Mwahahahaha!! That'll teach those stupid fir trees to mess with Skribbel!

Better yet, walk into a GOP convention and call em all a bunch of Democrats!! (or vice versa as to not show favoritism hehe)

Monster cables, as well.
Charging a lot of money for something and price fixing are two completely different things. The latter merely involves the former, but the former does not necessarily involve the latter.

Ruth's Chris isn't price fixing because they charge $100 for a slab of $5 meat, and they aren't colluding with the guys from Longhorn to keep restaurant steak prices high for consumers. They're just charging lots of money for not much product. Perfectly legal and valid business practice.

Or we could call people from Atlanta Altlantians! Or the people from Avalon could be called Avon Salespersons! Oooh what if we called all the Douglas Fir trees evergreens?! Mwahahahaha!! That'll teach those stupid fir trees to mess with Skribbel!

lmfao

1879f18e_e542_e1c6.jpg

[21CW]killerofall;1039159862 said:
Actually yes it does. Here is the class action lawsuit, which I am apart of.
https://lcdclass.com/
I should see at least $25 out of this, if not more :D.
Not from this case. This was a criminal case with purely punitive fines--this wasn't to settle the class action case (IIRC that was settled back in July?),

[21CW]killerofall;1039159862 said:
Actually yes it does. Here is the class action lawsuit, which I am apart of.
https://lcdclass.com/
I should see at least $25 out of this, if not more :D.

Hmm it details from 1999 to 2006. I purchased 4 monitors in that time frame but don't know if I could produce the details of those purchases. I know I got a Compaq 17 inch, Hitachi 17 inch, Dell 18 inch, and then Dell 20 inch panel. Filled out the details we'll see what happens.

But they are chinese...

Nah, there are ethnic Taiwanese that are indegenous to that island. Plus China is communist while Taiwan is not. So there are clear ethnic and political diferences, and cultural as well. Though there is a lot of Chinese influence in their history. But it doesn't bother them as much as say Koreans being called Chinese. Just ask this guy:

[IMAGE] http://laist.com/attachments/laist_lauren/Random_Task.jpg[/IMAGE]

Seriously, who throws a shoe?

Unless of course I missed your sarcasm, then please see the smiling Yao above.

Nah, there are ethnic Taiwanese that are indegenous to that island. Plus China is communist while Taiwan is not. So there are clear ethnic and political diferences, and cultural as well. Though there is a lot of Chinese influence in their history. But it doesn't bother them as much as say Koreans being called Chinese. Just ask this guy:
All white people are... white people. You could call them German, Italian, or whatever and won't bother them. There are cultural and ethnic differences, and one group may not like being mistaken as another group. In reality, they all same shit.

does this mean the AUO B173HW01 v5 screen that i want should be cheaper?

who gets the money?? The lawyers. everyone else gets $0.01

What's wrong with that? No one is stopping anyone who wants to from becoming a lawyer. Though...fair warning, the field is saturated with people already and not many are successful or earn more than the average IT professional.

Back