Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

1920x1080 on the 27s? pff c'mon... i'm not interested on a new TV, ugh.

1920x1080 on the 27s? pff c'mon... i'm not interested on a new TV, ugh.
Let's nip this in the bud immediately, at least one person has been banned recently for this resolutions and screen ratios crap. Go buy a U2713HM if you want high dpi. 1080p will still be good for many users, especially those running low spec systems and/or wanting consoles, bluray and satellite/cable receivers on the same system.

Finally, a 21.5" glossy monitor ! And IPS to boot.

Too bad it's not height adjustable.

Let's nip this in the bud immediately, at least one person has been banned recently for this resolutions and screen ratios crap. Go buy a U2713HM if you want high dpi. 1080p will still be good for many users, especially those running low spec systems and/or wanting consoles, bluray and satellite/cable receivers on the same system.

This is supposed to be the place were ultra nerds talk about the latest and greatest. I'm not going to put down the resolution but I sure was hoping for a higher res glossy screen from dell.

The 27" model looks nice, except for the stand. Finally a decent solution for gamers w/o the hardware to drive a 1440p display and console gamers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the issue for me is that there are already dozens of 27" 1080p monitors on the market with a variety of features and price points. The same cannot be said for higher DPI screens.

I disagree, there are few 27" IPS monitors at 1080p, only the thin LG ones that don't have a VESA mount. 1440p IPS is served very well from the budget no name brands all the way up to EIZO & NEC colour critical products, also with a variety of glossy and matte options at different price points.

This is supposed to be the place were ultra nerds talk about the latest and greatest. I'm not going to put down the resolution but I sure was hoping for a higher res glossy screen from dell.

nothing about "ultra nerds" lol, normal pc users are used to better resolutions and quality than those TV/console people for a looong time... :)

and i should give a fuck about that because...?

well the good news is you dont need Dell for that, as theres plenty of choices ranging in all kinds of sizes for full HD @ 60hz on the same place you go for buying beer, food and cheap clothing. ;)

and i should give a fuck about that because...?
Whilst your first comment was not as conspicuous and annoying as some, I'll just remind you that the displays forum recently had to have its' own set of rules and hard line non tolerance of those continually posting stupid ratio/resolution arguments in every thread. May I draw your attention to a similar complaint I made in another thread and Kyle's response:If I see this thread start to descend into the same kind of nonsense as the above thread I won't hesitate to press the report post button. As for your pissy comment about supermarket shopping, I suggest you read the forum rules again. Rule #1 would be a good place to start.

Also I already pointed out that there are no 27" 1080p IPS monitors, and this is surely the only 27" IPS with a glass screen, whereas 1440p users can choose from Apple, Samsung and a variety of lesser brands and Korean imports.

Finally, as you seem to need to look down on people that are looking for 1080p displays consider that: a) you just sound like a ****, b) people are allowed to have more than one monitor to perform different jobs on different systems.

Whilst your first comment was not as conspicuous and annoying as some, I'll just remind you that the displays forum recently had to have its' own set of rules and hard line non tolerance of those continually posting stupid ratio/resolution arguments in every thread. May I draw your attention to a similar complaint I made in another thread and Kyle's response:If I see this thread start to descend into the same kind of nonsense as the above thread I won't hesitate to press the report post button. As for your pissy comment about supermarket shopping, I suggest you read the forum rules again. Rule #1 would be a good place to start.

Also I already pointed out that there are no 27" 1080p IPS monitors, and this is surely the only 27" IPS with a glass screen, whereas 1440p users can choose from Apple, Samsung and a variety of lesser brands and Korean imports.

Finally, as you seem to need to look down on people that are looking for 1080p displays consider that: a) you just sound like a ****, b) people are allowed to have more than one monitor to perform different jobs on different systems.

me annoying? lol @ that coming from you. :p

so.. we can't argue about display resolutions in the [H] display section?? pff, fuck it then.

me annoying? lol @ that coming from you. :p
when someone has a specific complaint or objection to any of my posts (or pattern of posts) I'm sure they will let me know or report me to the moderators

so.. we can't argue about display resolutions in the [H] display section?? pff, fuck it then.
you can, just do it on it's own thread, not the individual monitor threads

That is the downside with these very thin displays - no space to screw into. I'm just waiting for the first person to try a DIY attempt at a VESA mount and end up putting a screw through the LCD panel itself.

I guess Dell would argue that other product lines are targeted at the type of user who would want VESA, whereas the designer/consumer product buyers are the least likely to want VESA. At least the 27" S is thick enough to include the VESA mount.

Yeah completely understandable but to be quite honest, I've under really understood the obsession with thin displays. I understand bezel-less displays, for obvious reasons, but thin displays seem to be nothing more than one of those see what we can do with technology today sort of things.

:(

is it really that difficult make a 27" 1440p Glossy VESA monitor???

Really is that difficult??? This is absolutely frustrating. I can't replace my NEC 20WGX2 :(

No Hazro in Spain. Will have to buy it from UK. If the monitor fails and I have to ship it to UK > 150€
Korean & Chinese ship back > 200€

Where are DELL, HP, SAMSUNG, LG, etc?? That's what I'm talking about, no chinese crap.

Last edited:
No Hazro in Spain.
probably not a great loss, but you could try Caseking.de. Not sure what they're like for returns withing the EU and paying return courier for defective items, but I've used them in the past and they seem to be quite professional - good packaging etc.

type of IPS?
can only see one that it might be in TFT Central's database: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm
presumably it is this and overdrive is reducing that response time to Dell's quoted 7ms

LGD IPS LM270WF5-SLB1 1920x1080 14ms G2G 1000:1 300 178/178 16.7M (6-bit+A-FRC) 72%

W-LED

Awww, I saw this thread and had a glimmer of hope....

I guess I share the same sentiments of many here... 27", 2560x1440, IPS, glossy, VESA.

This would probably be great for my parents though with the bigger pixel pitch. Price is still fairly high though. I think in this day and age, they could come down on the price for the larger displays.

Regarding VESA availability, there should be no excuse for it!! Slimmer and less of a bezel is the track that displays are going on. I think a great way to implement VESA for those who want/need it would be to have slots in the back to slide screw into. For example, wall mounting a modem, the threading faces the wall. Should implement something similar so the screw faces away from the monitor and you secure it with a nut onto the mounting head.

The AMVA model looks interesting to me. It could be a good alternative to those who were interested in the BenQ (or who got bad ones). A shame about lack of height adjustment though. I don't quite understand why manufacturers even bother with tilt only. Does it cost that much to include the ability to raise or lower a monitor? What do they save, like $5/unit, if that? Or is it more for aesthetics, and they think it looks cleaner with a tilt-only stand?

16:10 would be better too (at least for my needs), but that isn't going to happen in VA-land.

Does the 27 inch have glossy or matte coating on the screen?

Never mind its glossy :) Just ordered the 27 inch version from Dell should be here next week....

I wonder why S2440L has AMVA panel and the others have IPS panels. I wish they all were vesa mount compatible

IPS, 27", Glossy screen. Very nice. Finally, way to go Dell !!

Going to pre-order one soon. Nice share !

Mine still says Sept 26th delivery and now it shows in production

I wonder why S2440L has AMVA panel and the others have IPS panels. I wish they all were vesa mount compatible
I wonder why they make it faster on paper too. I doubt it that it would be faster than the IPS screens.

does this monitor have a bezel ?

also how do these monitors compare to my Dell 2312HM ?

a nicely designed 27" 1080p IPS sounds good just not at $399.99 USD when 1440p 27 screens are available for less.

At 299.99 this would have been a much nicer setup and kinda hard to think of a good reason to not have DisplayPort at this point now that Nvidia and AMD have DP on most of their current cards.

Going forward , this class of displays need MHL compatible HDMI ports and should use eDP for signaling over LVDS and were are my 32-36" 3840x2160 displays under $2,000 dang nabit :p

Also , someone please explain to me how NOT using VESA mounts is better for the consumer or somehow saves money versus a manufacturer connecting their stand via a industry standard mount pattern.

I'm interested in the AMVA screen. I got one of the Benq ones and the colors on it were just awful. One of the worst monitors I've ever seen. But the contrast ratio was very compelling, so if this is a good AMVA screen I want one for the contrast.

does this monitor have a bezel ?

also how do these monitors compare to my Dell 2312HM ?

Are you serious? They haven't been released yet, so how would any one know how they compare performance wise :rolleyes:

they are forsale on dell's website.

I just was wondering if this monitor is worth the upgrade?

Seriously? Is this kindergarten? Tell me your kidding.

Please.

I like that S2740L monitor, but the deal-breaker is the stand. I would be all over this if it had a height adjustment.

Back