Pirates Hid Servers Inside ISP Network

HardOCP News

[H] News
Where is the best place to hide your servers if you are running a warez site? I'm not sure but you can scratch "your local ISP" off the list.

This week a court has been hearing how a group of movie and TV show pirates ran a so-called ‘Scene’ topsite. The individuals, mainly employees of ISPs in Finland, allegedly hid their operation inside their company’s networks and rerouted monitoring software so that the existence of the server wouldn’t be uncovered.

of course, i already know hackers and scene people control major part of the internet. like irc servers, usenets, and stuff.

But hiding the servers inside an otherwise-oblivious ISP? Brilliant.

But hiding the servers inside an otherwise-oblivious ISP? Brilliant.

The phrase "hidden in plain sight" exists for a reason. It doesn't take a genius (e.g. any non-government employee) to figure out that the amount of "illegal" torrent/warez/usenet traffic is non-trivial by any means. That means ISP's absolutely and MUST be seing this traffic flow. Therefore if they are not seeing the "bits flying by" they must be masked. Where is the only reasonable place you could "mask them"? Where is the only place you could reasonably "hide those bits".

@Trepidati0n

I agree, an ISP is the best place for this sort of thing. :p I would have thought though they they would have fronted the topsite a with a "bounce" with an SSL tunnel behind it to talk to the actual topsite server. That way the bounce gets the attention, not the topsite.

@Trepidati0n

I agree, an ISP is the best place for this sort of thing. :p I would have thought though they they would have fronted the topsite a with a "bounce" with an SSL tunnel behind it to talk to the actual topsite server. That way the bounce gets the attention, not the topsite.

Their Digital Kung Foo was weak.

Not on the same scale obviously, but we had a server hidden in the server room of local school district office. Used fxp to transfer files to and from it with other remote sites, and then went in with an external scsi drive to collect stuff every couple days. This was in the mid 90's when t1's and external scsi drives were in

Back