Ten Years Ago Today In Tech

LOL I had an A7N8X Deluxe. It was a great motherboard back in the day. I sold it when I upgraded in Q3 2005 to an Opteron 165 Socket 939 OCed 50%, on air :D.

I've still got a couple of these kicking around in the basement in my pile of unused computer parts that are still in working order.

Had this exact board. 2500+ Athlon XP-M, DDR400, and a 5900 (flashed to 5950.)

Was a SWEET setup, unfortunately... as time marches on... it eventually couldn't keep up. And this was my last AMD build since I started building computers (about circa 386 era.)

Too bad for us that nVidia doesn't make chipsets for motherboards any more. Shame too that VIA gave it up too. What are the choices now Intel and AMD? Good for them boo for us.

I still have my ABIT NF7-S V2 and Athlon XP 2500+. I've been meaning to toss them, but I can't bring myself to do it. :(

I still have my ABIT NF7-S V2 and Athlon XP 2500+. I've been meaning to toss them, but I can't bring myself to do it. :(

My best/worst mobo was the abit NF7-S+AthlonXP 2500+. Awesome overclocker but BIOS would seldom go corrupt.

I learned bios Hotswapping because of this mobo.

heh... read my sig for what the Epox NForce2 board could do

That photo really makes me miss the nForce MCP for audio.

I think today's "HD Audio", SPDIF and HDMI are a joke compared to old sound cards, a Playstation 1 or original XBOX playing a CD.

My Parents are still using an nforce2 board on their home computer. I've got the replacement sitting ready to ship to them when I can find time :). Those were great boards those nforce2s

Back when computers were still fun for me. Dont get me wrong the stuff out is cool but just not the same. 1997-2005 for me was good times..

And they were bad-ass motherboards when they finally did come out. The audio chip was unique with its digital surround out.

I remember when nForce didn't suck.

Oh wait, trick question, no such era existed. Nevermind.

Eh, dunno, had a 590SLI. Worked well enough for me, had no issues with it. Though, I didn't have it very long either. I think it might have been a year and a half or two years.

I also found disk io seemed quite fast as well once the nforce ide/sata driver was installed it was even faster , guess they had write back setting that was allways on like with raid but for single disks as well , reads seemed faster as well (with death stars {Hitachi diskstar} installed random reads was king)

Do we have the dolby digital re-encoding capabilities of SoundStorm2's MCP back yet? That was awesome, went away for a long time, not sure if it's back.

ahhh, nforce 2 - classic times ; )

remember my trusty nf7s and 2500m, what a combo - hard modded with a wire on the back of the board to throw 3.3v through the old twinmos ram, man i loved that board!

Brings back memories of Sound storm Audio, anyone else remember that?

ABIT NF7-S V2
Athlon XP 2500+
Radeon 9800 Pro
512 MB DDR Ram
Windows XP

Nice little computer I still have all the parts except for the 9800 Pro I think I sold that :(
Wish I still had that 9800 Pro that card was a true PC Legend.

Ahh, this post triggered some SoundStorm nostalgia for me. Those audio chips rocked!

Went through my newegg orders.... Found where I had purchased a DFI NFII Ultra. Also an ABIT AI7 s478.... p4m 1.6 @ 220fsb.... also had purchased 11 amd processors that year from the Egg.... looking for that prime OC chip.

Good memories... My parents are still rocking an AMD Barton 2500+ on an MSI board with this chip set... They leave it on all the time too, so 24/7 with one blown up power supply that I replaced... I can't get them to let go of it. LOL!

I still have an Nforce4 board doing HTPC duty.

Opteron 170
Thermalright XP-90
4GB DDR 500
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
Radeon 4890 with Hdmi
Antec True Power 650
Silverstone Lascala LC20

Still runs great just need a new cmos battery lol.

Oh memories. My first Athlon XP system with the nforce audio. The first onboard audio that I remember was better than my creativelabs soundcard. I'm very sad to see this go :(

[21CW]killerofall;1039151231 said:
LOL I had an A7N8X Deluxe. It was a great motherboard back in the day. I sold it when I upgraded in Q3 2005 to an Opteron 165 Socket 939 OCed 50%, on air :D.

Same here with a 2500+, it was my first ever custom build. My first post here on [H] was a post asking about an upgrade path from it. :D

Hard to believe it was 10 years already. That means I built my first rig when I was 13-14ish... Damn.

here's my old NF2 DFI Infinity board sporting a custom Danger Den TDX and Maze 4 block with a Barton 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz

And here's the picture I didnt add int he last post

DSC00476.jpg

I still fix computers with these motherboards in them lol. They are still running out there. I got windows 7 running on a lot of xp machines. Force install all the old windows 2000 drivers in compatible mode in windows 7. Bring an old machine back to life. I got a couple of athlon xp setups still running around here also. With a decent amount of ram with a good video card they can still be used for videos and everything except gaming ;).

Mmmmm brown motherboards. Don't miss them at all.

Oh and VIA chipset motherboards...dont miss them at all either. Them and their crappy USB2 chipsets that didn't push out enough power to run USB ADSL modems at the time.

Bloody horrible.

Back