New Biometric Sensors Could Replace Passwords

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel is working on new technology to recognize a person’s palm print as a secure form of identification with just the wave of your hand. The technology was presented this week at the Intel Development Forum as a method of dealing with online sites for secure banking and personal services.

A device using the technology would use built-in accelerometers to detect when a user puts it down, and would then log its owner off to keep unauthorized people from getting in.

Oh if this could happen and be a cheap solution... never to have to remember the 6 different passwords associated with various aspects of work, of which half of them need to change twice a year and must be different than the last 3.

Maybe I'm just in a pissy mood because my team lost this Sunday, but I can't see how this would work any better than the other crap that's been thought up and abandoned or proven non secure. At least for the masses.

The problem is then getting people to use this new device rather than just a mouse and keyboard or their cell phone. All I can say to that is good luck. People hate change.

Oh if this could happen and be a cheap solution... never to have to remember the 6 different passwords associated with various aspects of work, of which half of them need to change twice a year and must be different than the last 3.

As a systems administrator I have to remember tons of passwords and change them all the time so I just put them in a super secure .txt file on my desktop that's named "Not_Admin_Passwords.txt" so no one will think about checking it.

No hacking possibilities here... no sir.

/sarcasm off

/CSB time

I was sitting in the airport the other day, half watching some bullshit cable news show when a similar story segment came on the monitor. The woman they interviewed lit up with mock enthusiasm about how this way sooo awesome and that remembering passwords is gross and stupid.

I just had to laugh. I realize not everyone is going to setup a encrypted file on a double encrypted hidden partition but how hard is it to setup up lastpass or keypass. I mean, really, it fills in the password field for you. Somehow, I can't see how waving your hands in front of the webcam like a idiot so it can read the veins in your hand as a step up.

Wow.. must not be patranoid about security where you work.. or where you work isn't attacked continuously.

Where I work, we have to change passwords at least every 3 months.. and the password cannot be the same as the last 7.. plus a lot of other rules.

And me being IT have to remember a ton of passwords.

what happens when someone chops my arm off and uses it to get in? Eh anyways I guess it's one way for police to get into a hacker's encrypted computer that he refuses to give the password for.

what happens when someone chops my arm off and uses it to get in? Eh anyways I guess it's one way for police to get into a hacker's encrypted computer that he refuses to give the password for.

Funny, I was thinking both of those exact thoughts! There would be a lot of one armed rich people that keep their money in offshore accounts (have to use the computer to access hence the arm removal!!):p

Back