iPhone And Apple Jumped The Shark

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy just peed in the iPhone 5 punch...or should I say Kool-Aid. :D

This week's Apple media event to introduce an iPhone 5 utterly devoid of any new innovations for the first time ever confirms to me something that I began to suspect at WWDC 2011 -- the Cupertino juggernaut has reached its zenith and has since begun to coast back to earth (although very slowly, with the help of a parachute made of billions in cash). To put it more simply, Apple and the iPhone have jumped the shark.

so you wouldn't know it from the sales numbers but the decline of Apple is in progress? ok...

iTV

Apple watch thingies

Apple cars

Apple houses

Apple has a long way to go.

A bit too early to claim anything about Apple. I'm thinking they see the iPhone as leveling off finally which is why they wanted to update the entire iPod line as well I'm thinking.

Either way, this isn't a bad thing as the hype machine slows down. It finally lets other competition come in.

The initial allotment of iPhone 5s sold out in an hour. Apple's going to be just fine.

A bit too early to claim anything about Apple. I'm thinking they see the iPhone as leveling off finally which is why they wanted to update the entire iPod line as well I'm thinking.

Either way, this isn't a bad thing as the hype machine slows down. It finally lets other competition come in.
Not unless they're all sued out of business.

Not unless they're all sued out of business.

I think the train wreck of lawsuits created from this business will kill itself.

It reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone was sueing everyone, then wanted to sue themselves. Eventually everyone gave up. Which may happen here.

I think the train wreck of lawsuits created from this business will kill itself.

It reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone was sueing everyone, then wanted to sue themselves. Eventually everyone gave up. Which may happen here.

Except, without the suing themselves part, I'd bet.

people can learn a thing from Apple regarding how to toot your own horn.

Apple put out an undisclosed number of iphones for preorder its website. Of course, it sells out.
Apple responds by saying "it's incredible" "we are blown away". "WOWWY WOW WOW."

If you ever want to hype your own ass, this is the way to do it.
If you're small fry, put out 10 preorders, then announce that you're sold out, and write a press release bragging about it, without disclosing that you only had 10 preorders available. Then leave the media guessing how many you sold, while helping to hype your shit at the same time.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57513424-37/apple-says-its-blown-away-by-iphone-5-preorders/

I have to laugh when I read about apple's "dominance". Android has been dominating apple for quite some time.

Every time I've been with one of my friends who has an iPhone, and we're each trying to do something on our phones, my Android always does it faster and better.

Apple rakes in the dough, and will continue to do so for the next few years in my opinion. They could put out an Ipotato and people would jump all over it. I think they have peaked for now, and I think stock prices will see a bit of a boost with the new iphone/ipod/ipad but after the initial excitement passes. I would think they will slowly decline for a while. Until/Unless they come up with something else to feed the sheep.

And Apple is still 78% of profits.

Believe me, there ok with the current market.

You realize that's from jagging their consumers right? I mean you're proud to say "I buy from a company that makes 4x the profit off me because that shows they do it right".

You realize that's from jagging their consumers right? I mean you're proud to say "I buy from a company that makes 4x the profit off me because that shows they do it right".

The put out a product I prefer to the competition (infact I am upgrading to iphone 5 from my Galaxy Nexus) for the same price. While they make more profit, its not costing me more. Its just good supply line on their part.

"I buy from a company that makes 4x the profit off me because that shows they do it right".
Apple's profits are high simply because of demand and they have absolutely no reason to subsidize phone costs down to $0.00 with contract/upgrade until the iPhone is two generations old. 6 months from now, the phone price of a Galaxy S3 is going to be cut in half just to keep up while the iPhone 5 will continue to be the highest selling phone until a month or two before the 5S is released next fall and the 4S demographic is reaching their upgrade eligibility date(the 4S just lost the top spot to the Galaxy S3 just last month).

When iPhones stop selling out on Apple.com within an hour of their preorder, then Apple will start having to stop selling them for less than $200-$400.

As much as I'd love to see the demise of Apple, I don't see them slowing down. Sure the iPhone 5 wasn't really anything new but the sheep are still lining up in droves to get one. I don't think Apple is declining because their new phone isn't very innovative, I think Apple has just figured out it doesn't have to be. They could re-release the 4S over and over again and the sheep would still stand in line for days to get one.

Notsureifsrs.

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB cost $199 when it was released
iPhone 5 16GB cost $199 when it was released

2345451-jackie_chan_wtf.png

Notsureifsrs.

Which is solid proof that the amount of Apple hate in this thread is ridiculous for no reason.

People seem to have a really hard time with the concept of "if you don't like it, don't buy it."

Notsureifsrs.

Isn't that the carrier subsidized price though? Like with a contract? That sorta obscures the real cost. If a carrier thinks it'll sell a lot of iPhones it might adjust the price because there will be more contracts to eventually make up the cost. *shrug* Unless we get to see the actual price of the handsets the carriers are paying, it's hard to make any guesses about profits per unit. We're all just speculating.

Isn't that the carrier subsidized price though? Like with a contract? That sorta obscures the real cost. If a carrier thinks it'll sell a lot of iPhones it might adjust the price because there will be more contracts to eventually make up the cost. *shrug* Unless we get to see the actual price of the handsets the carriers are paying, it's hard to make any guesses about profits per unit. We're all just speculating.
those two flagship phones cost the same without subsidy, too. in fact, the s3 retail price is $799 and the comparable iPhone 5 is $649 (and my htc one was $599 off contract) so it's difficult to listen to people prattle on and on about apple device prices at this point in the game.

those two flagship phones cost the same without subsidy, too. in fact, the s3 retail price is $799 and the comparable iPhone 5 is $649 (and my htc one was $599 off contract) so it's difficult to listen to people prattle on and on about apple device prices at this point in the game.

Well, it is silly to hear about that kinda thing. Its sorta like politics...this phone thing. No one is gonna change anyone's mind about it.

Notsureifsrs.

It's been discussed else that the scaling Apple is doing is where the big bucks are coming from. Recycle the A# chip in multiple devices, order a gazillion pieces. Ordering so many probably allows Apple to negotiate a better price. And then Apple keeps using the same chips for a very long time. I'm surprised the 3GS didn't have mold.

Most other OEMs don't have that option.

$650 is only for the lowest model iPhone 5. $799 for S3? No it was $650 for 16GB and $700 for $32GB.

And Apple is still 78% of profits.

Believe me, there ok with the current market.

If they were that "OK" with the current market they wouldn't be suing over a geometric shape with rounded corners.

when everything is placed in a box , there is only so far you can go until you hit a wall.

i think, for me at least, is the amount of "blind faith" people have. the iphone 5 added things that other phones have had for some time now.. and yet Apple will be praised as being another epic innovative company while everyone else copies them......:rolleyes:.

I am sure Samsung people would do the same, or android people, i guess it is more the level of "blindness" people in general are over things.

i think, for me at least, is the amount of "blind faith" people have. the iphone 5 added things that other phones have had for some time now.. and yet Apple will be praised as being another epic innovative company while everyone else copies them......:rolleyes:.

I am sure Samsung people would do the same, or android people, i guess it is more the level of "blindness" people in general are over things.

sir could you point me to the Android with the cortex a15, a GPU that isnt from 2010, and a non-pentile screen?

I don't know that any other company has a maps program that kicks that much ass. I watched the keynote. It looks like one hell of a phone. It is in a class of its own as I see it, and I think it is time I cashed in my BB and purchased one. Apple has done so much innovating in the past, that it seems when they come out with a product that simply adds a few mild enhancements, everybody thinks there is something wrong with the equation, even though literally every other company has been copying their game and playing catch up for the last 5 years. I agree with the notion that they are fine. This article is a load of Bull shit. I have long been a Windows user who looked with a certain degree of pessimism on the Apple line up. I can't stand being boxed into specific over-priced hardware, and this has always steered me away from their products. Still, I look at the direction Windows is going with 8 and I cringe. The future is ripe for the taking as I see it. Maybe it is time for OS11 to come out and level the playing field....

You mean no one ever wins an argument over the internet?!

Why did you sneaky sly hide this? I seek out smiley stuff and this was stealthy and invisible.

Yes, someone wins when the other person has to log out to do something in real life.

Notsureifsrs.

Profit != Revenue.
or another way,
More for your money?

But ultimately you need to discuss with the guy I was responding to. His figures.

It's funny that people seem to hold Apple to a much higher standard, and then conjecture about its decline when another year goes by where they don't revolutionize the industry.

Of course Apple has peaked...no more evil driving/stealing innovation. (it died)

Now they have to play the normal games...

It's funny that people seem to hold Apple to a much higher standard, and then conjecture about its decline when another year goes by where they don't revolutionize the industry.

I see people viewing Apple as the lowest standard.

Back