Europe Hits Old Internet Address Limits

HardOCP News

[H] News
Europe has ran out of internets.

"The day has come, finally," said Axel Pawlik, managing director of the Ripe NCC that hands out addresses to European ISPs, firms and other organisations. Every device that goes online is allocated a unique Internet Protocol (IP) address.

I've been IPv6 ready for over two years now. There is no excuse for not being ready at this point; we have known for years that this was coming, IPv6 itself has been around since 1996 and people have had plenty of time to prepare.

My company's network is 100% IPv6, inside and out. Our e-mail servers, our website, and our DNS server are all IPv6 as well. My home network is IPv6 as well.

At some point, you just have the force the issue. It is time to start pulling the plug on IPv4. People have had enough warnings.

I've been IPv6 ready for over two years now. There is no excuse for not being ready at this point; we have known for years that this was coming, IPv6 itself has been around since 1996 and people have had plenty of time to prepare.

My company's network is 100% IPv6, inside and out. Our e-mail servers, our website, and our DNS server are all IPv6 as well. My home network is IPv6 as well.

At some point, you just have the force the issue. It is time to start pulling the plug on IPv4. People have had enough warnings.

I am an engineer working at an ISP, and all I have to say is FU for even mentioning IPv6.

^what solution do you propose then. We have to replace IPv4 in the near future, we eventually are going to run out of unused addresses in IPv4.

I am an engineer working at an ISP, and all I have to say is FU for even mentioning IPv6.

I'm sorry but you people have been stalling on this for ages, creating sloppy and hackish solutions like NAT in order to continue using an obsolete technology (IPv4).

I for one, look forward to the end of NAT (and anyone that is using NAT for security has no business working on networks of any kind because they are not competent).

IPv6 really is better.

Why not IPv8? Seriously, they're going to start giving each box of Cheerios an IP address eventually.

I don't want to live in a world where IPV6's 2 to the power of 128 addresses are not enough.

Why not IPv8? Seriously, they're going to start giving each box of Cheerios an IP address eventually.
Well, what if we wanted to give every individual cheerio an ip address like someone mentioned?

I found most people count 4000 cheerios per box. Let's assume 5000 just in case.

Let's assume every individual on earth needs at least 10 boxes of cheerios. That's 7 billion people.

5000*10*7*10^9= 3.5*10^14

A single subnet of the ipv6 address space: 2^64 = 1.8*10^19.
Hmm... that didn't even use a single subnet of ipv6. In fact we can still fill that subnet with another 100,000 ip's.

Sure some countries are all ready to go on IPv6, others arent, Costa Rica, our ISP, American Data has made no mention of IPv6 support yet...

the issue is companies that have hundreds of thousands, even millions of unused IP blocks.....

I need a new IP range from Q9 in toronto and i have to fill out a form now to request more IP's and why!

You obviously don't work in healthcare or government then (same thing).

You obviously don't work in healthcare or government then (same thing).

My only guess/assumption is this: Too many legacy systems running outdated hardware and software.

Companies especially governments are hesitant to upgrade to anything new.

Think of the tried-and-true saying: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Heck, I was watching Modern Marvels featuring Disneyworld. Many of their animatronics are still running on the original circuits. The ICs in them look like they're from the 80s or 70s.

Why do you think most companies that still use IE6 haven't moved on yet? Some companies I've seen are still using web software on their intranet that only runs on IE6 because of ActiveX and other proprietary crap that browser brought us.

There has to be a necessary reason to upgrade to something new such as more features but done more efficiently, or more security over older technology, but at the same time be affordable.

If it doesn't cost the company or government anything to move off of IPv4 to IPv6, I'm sure there'd be wide adoption already instead of continuously postponing it since 1996. I'm probably sure most if not all companies and government agencies have not run out of IPv4 addresses, yet. That's an assumption though.

My only guess/assumption is this: Too many legacy systems running outdated hardware and software.

Companies especially governments are hesitant to upgrade to anything new.

Think of the tried-and-true saying: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Heck, I was watching Modern Marvels featuring Disneyworld. Many of their animatronics are still running on the original circuits. The ICs in them look like they're from the 80s or 70s.

Why do you think most companies that still use IE6 haven't moved on yet? Some companies I've seen are still using web software on their intranet that only runs on IE6 because of ActiveX and other proprietary crap that browser brought us.

There has to be a necessary reason to upgrade to something new such as more features but done more efficiently, or more security over older technology, but at the same time be affordable.

If it doesn't cost the company or government anything to move off of IPv4 to IPv6, I'm sure there'd be wide adoption already instead of continuously postponing it since 1996. I'm probably sure most if not all companies and government agencies have not run out of IPv4 addresses, yet. That's an assumption though.

Their idiocy is no reason to hold the rest of us back.

Although, FYI, the US government is already on IPv6.

Gov can be on IPv6 all they want, but i am sure you don't know about %99 of their systems i am willing to be are still on IPv4 which they cant even secure properly.. let alone IPv6 systems...

Their idiocy is no reason to hold the rest of us back.

Although, FYI, the US government is already on IPv6.

I'm pretty sure he's making mention of the financials of it all. Arguing that IPv6 is better than IPv4 is a moot point. Unfortunately, better doesn't always translate to adopted. It's all about the money. Money makes the world go around. It drives absolutely everything we can even begin to think about. If companies can save money using their old IPv4 address, I bet you your last dollar they will. That's great that your company made the switch over already and I can applaud that. The worlds economy has to be ready to make these switches to new technology and often times they will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming. A lot of CIO's are going to be coming up with a lot of ROI's for their CEO in order to make these changes.

I think this article sums up some of the adoption rates and issues: IPv6 Adoption

Wish i could say the same. OS are IPv6 capable, but CISCO Linksys still was unable to update their routers from 2010 to IPv6 (Linksys E1000/E2000/E3000) and DD-WRT configuration is pretty complex. Plus my internet provider (a multinational cable TV provider) still didn't switch to IPv6.

Saw no mention of the hilariously wide IP ranges purchased by american telecomms in the childhood of the internet, eh.

I'm pretty sure he's making mention of the financials of it all. Arguing that IPv6 is better than IPv4 is a moot point. Unfortunately, better doesn't always translate to adopted. It's all about the money. Money makes the world go around. It drives absolutely everything we can even begin to think about. If companies can save money using their old IPv4 address, I bet you your last dollar they will. That's great that your company made the switch over already and I can applaud that. The worlds economy has to be ready to make these switches to new technology and often times they will have to be dragged, kicking and screaming. A lot of CIO's are going to be coming up with a lot of ROI's for their CEO in order to make these changes.

I think this article sums up some of the adoption rates and issues: IPv6 Adoption

Thank you for your post. I was explaining the financial reasons behind lack of IPv6 adoption.

Even my AT&T Uverse Gateway has no IPv6 capability, but the router that's connected behind it does. It's just a simple software update. However, the router is not receiving any DHCP IPv6 address from the gateway. When is that gateway going to be updated?

Someone would have to be hired or paid to push that update to consumers, and it's either not happening or slowly happening at such a snail's pace.

Even if the US government has switched over to IPv6, how much of their equipment still uses IPv4 just because of legacy systems? Given budget cuts in nearly all areas of government, I would not be surprised that's put at the bottom of the priority list. And, I bet many companies are in the same position.

If the US, not Europe, ran out of IPv4 addresses today, these US companies and our government would be singing a different tune right about now. And, the first thing that'll happen is finger-pointing at Congress for not moving to IPv6.

It's true, the government is fuxed when we roll to IPv6. I have many systems, mostly supply related in the Navy that are still 16bit apps... We are rolling from XP to 7 next year and they are scared to death they wont be able to run them...

The entire IT department screamed "Just write another god damn program already!" but those cry's have fallen on deaf ears.

I think you guys would cry if you had to work on some of the systems we have on the ships...

And when you are scrambling at the last minute to replace everything with IPv6 and have to pay a whole bunch of people overtime to do it and deal with all of the bugs that come from rushing the upgrade, how much does that cost?

IPv6 is NOT optional. You WILL have to upgrade. You can either do it now, and do it in such a way that you can proceed at a sane, reasonable pace or you can wait until it is too late and then have to rush through it.

Beancounters are some of the stupidest people around. They are completely unable to see anything but short term profits and will do anything towards that goal even if it means sacrificing long term profits in the future.

And when you are scrambling at the last minute to replace everything with IPv6 and have to pay a whole bunch of people overtime to do it and deal with all of the bugs that come from rushing the upgrade, how much does that cost?

IPv6 is NOT optional. You WILL have to upgrade. You can either do it now, and do it in such a way that you can proceed at a sane, reasonable pace or you can wait until it is too late and then have to rush through it.

Beancounters are some of the stupidest people around. They are completely unable to see anything but short term profits and will do anything towards that goal even if it means sacrificing long term profits in the future.
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qxe4c/

In my experience it is up to the beancounters to get anything done. Regardless of what the IT manager says, some things don't warrant the cost at that moment. What do you gain by going to IPv6? What do the bean counters thing? They want immediate results that can justify the cost. I had to hear them talking to my manager about a failed switch and why we replaced it with the model we did and not use an existing (but wouldn't work in the situation) switch. Damn, that made me rage!

I'd like to see a lot more ISP's supporting IPv6 now and let the customers move at their own pace. I would love to implement it, but it's just not supported.

You guys that are on IPV6. How are you connecting to the IPV4 of your ISP? Is there a gateway router that NATs it?

A home network on IPV6? Why?

Back