Megaupload User Data Negotiations Go Bust

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, until this case is eventually resolved, I don't see anyone getting access to anything they had stored on Megaupload.

Months after the Megaupload raids and arrests the fate of the site’s user data is still unclear. The final negotiation round between the involved parties just went bust with Megaupload’s defense team holding the US Attorneys Office responsible. “They favor the Hollywood Oligopoly over innocent consumers who lost access to their data,” Megaupload lawyer Ira Rothken told TorrentFreak.

I'm going to have to go get all those Linux distros and completely legal stock photos of landscapes all over again. :(

Anyone who lost data because they used MegaUpload as a backup location or storage deserves to lose their data.

Why would you ever trust your data to a group you know has a huge following in a shady business.

Its like getting the mafia to fund your new business.

I not surprised people trusted cloud storage as their only backup. People should of kept their stuff stored at home as well.

unless your lost your data the day that magaupload got shut down, I've got not sympathy for you. It's a backup, not a permanent data holding tank...

I agree, if your only form of backup was megaupload and you lost data because of that, it's your own fault. You'd have to be a moron to trust a random semi-dodgy 3rd party online storage facility without also keeping your own backups as well. If you did use megaupload as a backup, you should have also had that data stored elsewhere and as soon as megaupload went down, create another backup.

All real backups, save for some enterprise level complicated shit, should be stored in some sort of HD locally at your place of residence/business.

Because depending on someone else's cloud storage is pretty fucking stupid. Especially when that cloud gets confiscated for evidence.

Yes... because we all have fore knowledge of a secret raid and confiscation of digital property.

I agree that you shouldn't be solely dependent on one site, but that remark is just stupid.

Yes... because we all have fore knowledge of a secret raid and confiscation of digital property.

I agree that you shouldn't be solely dependent on one site, but that remark is just stupid.

Really it's not stupid. The only thing stupid is the people that used a shady website to store important data. Cloud computing and data storage is a bad idea. If you only use one service you are literally one step away from losing your data .

So today i had this kid with leukaemia under my care. That kid sure got what he deserves. Should have known better than being born with the disease.

The attitude around here is unbelievable.

Why would you ever trust your data to a group you know has a huge following in a shady business.

Its like getting the mafia to fund your new business.

Anyone who lost data because they used MegaUpload as a backup location or storage deserves to lose their data.

Because depending on someone else's cloud storage is pretty fucking stupid. Especially when that cloud gets confiscated for evidence.

I agree, if your only form of backup was megaupload and you lost data because of that, it's your own fault. You'd have to be a moron to trust a random semi-dodgy 3rd party online storage facility without also keeping your own backups as well. If you did use megaupload as a backup, you should have also had that data stored elsewhere and as soon as megaupload went down, create another backup.

would you look at all these internet tough guys?

on hardocp you're guilty until you're proven innocent, and if you don't store your guns and ammo in the basement you deserve to get shot. it's like pakistan in this thread. where did you guys go to school? the place where all the laws are backwards?

I'll oppose a government taking people's stuff. but these guys will defend it, apologize for it, and then blame the victim. welcome to the hardforum.

would you look at all these internet tough guys?

on hardocp you're guilty until you're proven innocent, and if you don't store your guns and ammo in the basement you deserve to get shot. it's like pakistan in this thread. where did you guys go to school? the place where all the laws are backwards?

I'll oppose a government taking people's stuff. but these guys will defend it, apologize for it, and then blame the victim. welcome to the hardforum.

I have to agree. Regardless of if it is wise for someone to have used Megaupload as a primary data storage solution, those users still deserve access to their data and its pretty shitty that the government won't provide it to them.

I equate it to buying an off-brand product with iffy reviews. Yeah its probably gonna fail on you and you knew this but that doesnt mean you don't deserve to have it fixed.

unless your lost your data the day that magaupload got shut down, I've got not sympathy for you. It's a backup, not a permanent data holding tank...

This.

I used mega upload mostly to email files anyway as most corporate emails only allow up to like 5MB so when I needed to send documentation or other stuff to 3rd parties outside the company it was really handy.

The Pirate Bay actually has a similar service as well called Bayfiles. I have not tried it yet though, its not very often I need such service, but they do come in handy.

Did you watch The Sopranos thinking Tony was really a Waste Management Consultant?

Back