Malicious Help File Installs Keylogger

HardOCP News

[H] News
Obviously most of you wouldn't fall for something like this but we all know friends and family that would. Feel free to pass this link on to those you think would need it most. ;)

Malware authors can create boobytrapped .HLP files, designed to infect your computer. Take for instance, the strange .HLP file which was sent to SophosLabs by some of our customers at the end of August. The file, Amministrazione.hlp ("Amministrazione" is Italian for "Administration") was an example of how cybercriminals can use social engineering to trick unsuspecting users into infecting their computers.

I've looked at a help file once. And that was when I realized how it didn't live up to its name, and probably never will.

I've never looked at help files since then. To me, it's pointless since I can search for a solution on the web much faster than I can navigate a help file today.

i like taking apart malicious files and seeing how they work, on a sandboxed quarantined system of course

Sooo, it doesn't want peanut butter cookies? Cause that's what the other part of me wants. One part wants a cup of coffee, nother part wants a ball of yarn and some silly putty, and the last part is totally like, "Go get a peanut butter cookie, your dork!" :( I'm so conflicted that I just don't know what to do.

Sooo, it doesn't want peanut butter cookies? Cause that's what the other part of me wants. One part wants a cup of coffee, nother part wants a ball of yarn and some silly putty, and the last part is totally like, "Go get a peanut butter cookie, your dork!" :( I'm so conflicted that I just don't know what to do.

make a pizza box computer

I guess I should invite the people next door over or something. If I don't eat all of it, the leftover pizza might drip oil and goo on the motherboard. It would probably get really disgusting after a while too so I'd never wanna open the box to do stuff like replace a bad hard drive.

What does that have to do with a cup of coffee, a yarn ball, some silly putty, and a peanut butter cookie though? And what does any of this hafta do with your keylogger thingey?

I guess I should invite the people next door over or something. If I don't eat all of it, the leftover pizza might drip oil and goo on the motherboard. It would probably get really disgusting after a while too so I'd never wanna open the box to do stuff like replace a bad hard drive.

What does that have to do with a cup of coffee, a yarn ball, some silly putty, and a peanut butter cookie though? And what does any of this hafta do with your keylogger thingey?

it doesn't, but it would still make a great computer to see how that keylogger works

Pass the link on? Really?; Hoiw about, ok I'll take my weekend to fix your stupidiy. I still have family that call a browser 'Modzilla'. 'I just click on the internet and it takes minutes to go to my home page'. You have a home page, wtf....

What braindead idiot at Microsoft thought that it would be a good idea to allow help files to contain executable code?

What braindead idiot at Microsoft thought that it would be a good idea to allow help files to contain executable code?

This. And Adobe is just as bad as MS for this. Why in the hell do PDFs have any ability to have executable code, or flash for that matter? Flash should only be able to do stuff within itself, yet it is used to exploit the entire machine. Java is just as bad too.

So many things should not allow executable code. If these companies used more common sense things would be so much more secure.

it doesn't, but it would still make a great computer to see how that keylogger works

I'd just use one of my laptops for it...like the one I do all my internet banking and shopping on. Since I have Lifelock, I can completely disclaim taking responsibility for doing dumb stuff that puts me at risk.

Back