Build log of "Unobtainable" - X79 in a white Bitfenix Prodigy

Fruergaard

Weaksauce
Hi all

When I first saw the Prodigy I was sold, and knew I had to have one and make a killer transportable rig in it.

Only down size was the only option of a ITX motherboard with only one PCI-e slot and socket 1155.
And I believe I am/was not alone in the boat :-(

BUT to the rescue a custom motherboard came in sight, which would allow me to make a much more powerfull system in the prodigy case.

So this will be the build log of what to me in some time was "Unobtainable".
Hope you like it, any suggestions is welcome :)

Thanks to the sponsors who have help me make this rig possible :D
Aquatuning.de
468x60_eng.gif

Coolgamers.dk

NZXT

I will update this worklog as much as possible.

So time few updates.

First; this is what there so far will get into this build:
Hardware
- I7 3930K (got it)
- Shuttle X79 motherboard (got it)
- Corsair 4x4 gb Dominator (got it)
- Two HD 7950, one Gigabyte the other not sure yet (Gigabyte en route the other an be bought on the day)
- NZXT Hale90 1000W Gold PSU (en route)
- Two Samsung 830 128 gb SSD (got them)
- Two WD Green 2 TB (got them)

Watercooling and suchs
- EK Supremacy Nickel - Pexi (en route)
- Two EK-RAM Dominator X2 Nickel - Pexi (en route)
- Two EK FC7950 Nickel - Pexi (got them)
- EK back plates for HD 7950 (not bought yet)
- Two Single Slot I/O bracket for HD 79X0 (not bought)
- Koolance MVR-40 VRM waterblock and Koolance MVR Heat Transfer Plate 84mm (not bought yet, not in stock)
- Watercool HEATKILLER® NSB Rev3.0 nickel (not bought yet)
- Phobya Extreme 200 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper 120 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Full Copper 240 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Two Phobya Balancer 150 mm reservoir Silver Nickel (en route, beginning of next week)
- Swithech MCP35X with a EK CSQ top (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool Heatmaster and Digital Flow sensor and tempsensor. (en route, beginning of next week)
- 16/13 mm fittings and some MasterKleer Clear tupe. (I will propperly need more then I got now. specially the angel ones)
- Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans (one 200 mm, one 140 mm and two 120 mm) (got them)

And then a some light, sleeving and suchs small things (most I got or it is en route).

Many great pictures of this build can be seen here:
http://www.cooledpc.com/build/224

Hope you like it and will share and vote :D

Last edited:
do you actually have that motherboard????? i'm gonna say it's one of those Shuttle mobo from their Barebones system XPC R5 7900G. z77 chipset. how did you get your hands on it, i like the mobo specially with microsata and you can actually have dual PCI express.

2USB 3.0, 6USB 2.0, 1x eSATA/USB comob, esata power, 2 ethernet onboard mini PCI express, onboard USB 2.0 and 3.0.

i must say kick ass mobo. i would like it as well.

quick question, did the bottom HD cage had to be taken off for it to fit or you could have kept it? also wonder if you can still put the 2.5"SATA drive on there with the fact you can get power and data cable plugged in.

EDIT again:- is PCI express 3.0 or 2.0?

Last edited:
If it is using the X79 chipset, then it is PCIe 3.0 capable.

sweet, i was just wondering due to the fact that it doesn't say on their site much about it.

Oh this will be awesome. Get building! (y)

You guys are quick.
Yes, it's from Shuttle and their SX79R5

There isn't a lot of information on the board but is might help:

quick question, did the bottom HD cage had to be taken off for it to fit or you could have kept it? also wonder if you can still put the 2.5"SATA drive on there with the fact you can get power and data cable plugged in.

EDIT again:- is PCI express 3.0 or 2.0?

It's PCI-e 3.0 and yes there is room for the HDD cage... but I got other plans, so I won't be using it;)

sweet how did u get your hands on it, i would love to get one myself. be awesome HTPC/gaming PC for next 20-25 years or so.

If you can make the card single slot then it is possible ;)

Galaxy or someone were showing off a prototype single slow 680. The designs do have the option of power connectors next to each other, so that might work. You'd lose a DVI connector, but the other card has 2. :D

;) DUAL WC'd 690s PL0X. but really do it. these pants are too not-soiled.

EDIT: also, you're an evil genius.

It would be really awesome with two GTX 690, but I really do not have the money for that :mad:

In Denmark we have tax and such wich brings price for ONE GTX 690 up on 1400 USD!

But two GPU's will get in to this machine ;)

Can't wait to see this build get rolling. I really dig that case, and that board is just wicked.

So time few updates.

First; this is what there so far will get into this build:
Hardware
- I7 3930K (got it)
- Shuttle X79 motherboard (got it)
- Corsair 4x4 gb Dominator (got it)
- Two HD 7950, one Gigabyte the other not sure yet (Gigabyte en route the other an be bought on the day)
- NZXT Hale90 1000W Gold PSU (en route)
- Two Samsung 830 128 gb SSD (got them)
- Two WD Green 2 TB (got them)

Watercooling and suchs
- EK Supremacy Nickel - Pexi (en route)
- Two EK-RAM Dominator X2 Nickel - Pexi (en route)
- Two EK FC7950 Nickel - Pexi (got them)
- EK back plates for HD 7950 (not bought yet)
- Two Single Slot I/O bracket for HD 79X0 (not bought)
- Koolance MVR-40 VRM waterblock and Koolance MVR Heat Transfer Plate 84mm (not bought yet, not in stock)
- Watercool HEATKILLER® NSB Rev3.0 nickel (not bought yet)
- Phobya Extreme 200 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper 120 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Full Copper 240 mm radiator (en route, beginning of next week)
- Two Phobya Balancer 150 mm reservoir Silver Nickel (en route, beginning of next week)
- Swithech MCP35X with a EK CSQ top (en route, beginning of next week)
- Alphacool Heatmaster and Digital Flow sensor and tempsensor. (en route, beginning of next week)
- 16/13 mm fittings and some MasterKleer Clear tupe. (I will propperly need more then I got now. specially the angel ones)
- Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans (one 200 mm, one 140 mm and two 120 mm) (got them)

And then a some light, sleeving and suchs small things (most I got or it is en route).

If you got any ideas for some changes please comment.
About fans: Your personal oppion; change the three smaller Bitfenix to three Gentle Typhoon?
Best sound to performance ratio?

Pictures: Well most of it is still en route and should arrive the beginning of next week.
The things I currently got just lies in their boxes waiting go get in to build but isn't that interesseting right now.
If I get the GPU tomorrow I will install it's waterblock on it and mount it on the motherboard along CPU and RAM.

And then you will get pictures

Last edited:
are you planning on anything to support the MB that's sticking outside, as i've feeling that it might brake,

are you planning on anything to support the MB that's sticking outside, as i've feeling that it might brake,

It is really stif, and I have tried bending it..

But I will do some support for the mobo if the pump isn't getting in the way.
But I believe it could work without as well

Omg this build will be epic, patiently awaiting pictures to drool at :D

Very nice, I too am in the middle of a build with the very same case, I will be watching this build for ideas!

So lets get some updates with this build.

To day the first package from Aquatuning.de arrived so let's have a look at it:

A lot of great stuff in there, I am really looking forward to see what Alphacool Heatmaster can do:

Also some temperture and flow sensor:

And it fits perfectly in the PSU cage:

Also got some stuff for PSU sleeving:

I have done some of what I think it should look like:

Like it?
And the three radiators

And some Masterkleer tupe:

And one (another will come as well) Reservoir:

Looks really nice:

Also got the two HD 7950 waterblocks:

Me Like :)

And first the installation of the 120 mm radiator:

With a bitfenix Spetre Pro 140 mm on the outside:

And then the rest installed:

I might flip the 240 mm radiator so the fittings outlet is at the 140 mm end.
Will look at that tomorrow :D

And as you might see the red coloar on the DIMM slots really stands out, so I will later try painting them along the Motherboard Power and the two Orange Sata ports :)

The waterblocks for the CPU and RAM should soon arrive along the Hale90 1 KW PSU and the first HD 7950 (the other one was not in stock, :(

will the 200mm fan fit in front/back of the 200mm radiator or you'll have to put the fan outside? also flipping the 240mm radiator to the other side will you've enough room for plugs and ans and stuff?? i'm have to see pictures of those to get the thing in head. also wondering if you've any plans for those mSATA and the mini PCI express!!!!

will the 200mm fan fit in front/back of the 200mm radiator or you'll have to put the fan outside? also flipping the 240mm radiator to the other side will you've enough room for plugs and ans and stuff?? i'm have to see pictures of those to get the thing in head. also wondering if you've any plans for those mSATA and the mini PCI express!!!!

There should just be room for a Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200 mm fan (25 mm thick) which will be set as pull.

About flipping the radiator, then its not as simple, since the fan the will hit the 200 mm radiator. So I think I have to go with what I got so far. (need a bit of drilling and cutting to make the radiator stay good in the top).
And the fittings should be a problem from what I can see and use in those spaces ;-)

I will be using two 2.5" SSD, so really no need for the mSATA and I also use LAN, so no need for WIFI = the mPCI..

But they are still nice to have ;-)

Last edited:
so far looking very awesome, gonna be a tight fit with all that tubing.

how many loops do you plan to do? and what loop will cool what?

so far looking very awesome, gonna be a tight fit with all that tubing.

how many loops do you plan to do? and what loop will cool what?

One MCP35X pump, One loop! - maybe
I will have to wait until my fittings from Aquatuning is comming beginning of next week.

But I get some stuff tomorrow so that I can begin do some rough planning of how the loop will run..

One MCP35X pump, One loop! - maybe
I will have to wait until my fittings from Aquatuning is comming beginning of next week.

But I get some stuff tomorrow so that I can begin do some rough planning of how the loop will run..

You are planning on running a 6 Block loop (counting the rads of course) with a single MCP35X? I'm not sure how much pressure you are going to have.I would really hate to see you get everything done only to find out that the pump will not cut the mustard, so to speak...

If you MUST stay with a single pump, then I would go with the Koolance PMP-450S Strong Pump..you can run it @ 24V, which netted Martin 1GPM flow in a very restrictive 5 Block loop... Everything else looks wonderful, can't wait to see the finished product!!

*Subbed*

So today I got some more things in the door that I have played with, so wanted to bring you some updates:

First I got some nice things from my good friend at Coolgamers.dk :D:

The two EK RAM, Sumpremacy, Swiftech MCP35X and EK top some fittings, EK-TIM Indigo, Feser One light and a Bitfenix spectre Pro 200.

I bought the MCP35X to get the PWM control, but doesn't really like the swiftech top:

So to go in the same path, I got the CSQ Pexi top from EK:

I also got the 200 mm fan installed which just fitted in there :thumb::

I also got a package from PCB.se which had the new Hale90 1000W powersupply from NXZT (Thanks again :D)

A really nice powersupply in a perfekt white coloar which will go great with the white Prodigy case:

Though not fully modular, and there is fairly many connectors there:

But they will be sleeved and the not used cut of and the others shorted to make the fit just right in the case :thumb:
The PSU is also 180 mm in lenght, so the PSU holder will be modded to fit it propperly.

Along the PSU I also got the first GPU (other one not in stock :() which is the Gigabyte HD 7950:

Normally not liking the blue PCB, but it will fit in this build :D

So here is the first RAM block and CPU block installed:

Here with the other RAM block as well and the Pump and flow meter. The pump will get installed on som anti vibration foam:

And here the GPU with the block installed (remember that one more will get in there ;))

So hope you liked it and in beginning of next week I will get fittings, and then a pain in the ass begins; connecting it all in a loop ;-)

very nice, you've got about 1mm of space after the 200mm radiator and fan, only if you had about 5 mm you could have had good enough room for nice cable management.

also, would have been nice if you would have gotten powercolor 7970 with water block, you could have gotten 2 (another in future) and made good use of both PCI slots.

and one more question, is there room in front for the fan. and can't wait to see where you're planning on putting the SSDs/HDs, are you doing any raid or not.

very nice, you've got about 1mm of space after the 200mm radiator and fan, only if you had about 5 mm you could have had good enough room for nice cable management.

also, would have been nice if you would have gotten powercolor 7970 with water block, you could have gotten 2 (another in future) and made good use of both PCI slots.

and one more question, is there room in front for the fan. and can't wait to see where you're planning on putting the SSDs/HDs, are you doing any raid or not.

he will have 2x 7950s with waterblocks, the other one was OOS though. both slots will be filled. by "front" do you mean the front of the fan in back? if so then no, the fan has to be outside because the top radiator/fan are blocking him from putting a fan on the inside of the case on the rear 120mm radiator.

fruergaard, are you gonna cut the pci brackets or did you ifnd single slot brackets to order somewhere?

ah my bad totally over looked it, forgot it has all the outputs on single slots and not dual slot like most of them.

and i mean atm he has fan->radiator->front case panel, i was just wondering if he could do radiator->front case panel->fan would be cool with some mods on front with his logo or something, give him little room or he can have two fans in push n pull.

i dont think theres room for a fan in between the case and the front panel. theres only like 1/2" and it's for allowing air in since the front panel is solid.

Back