One Third of The U.S. Doesn't Use Facebook Or Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
A recently conducted survey found that 34.5% of the internet population doesn't use Facebook or Twitter. If you don't click the link for the stats and graphs, click it to see the author dressed as Thor. :eek:

A new study has found that a little more than a third of the United States population does not tweet or post on some of the most popular social networking sites on the planet. As a result, he found out that roughly 34.5 per cent of internet users didn't even have a login for either site - a conclusion startlingly similar to that of the Pew Internet survey conducted earlier this year.

Since I'm a glass-half-empty kind of guy, what that sadly means is that roughly two thirds, the overwhelming majority, do use Facebook or Twitter... and constantly complain that I'm not following or poking them or watering their farm etc.

I don't use either one. They're pointless, IMO, or worse. Thanks, but the Internet world doesn't need to know what I'm doing all the time, nor do I want them to. Facebook, in particularly, seems like a budding Evil Empire that I want NOTHING to do with.

I have a friend releasing a video game fan film in a couple weeks -- I've known about the project for a couple years, but never knew they had a release date set, all because I don't have a Facebook account for him to invite me. Missed out on a couple birthday gatherings with old friends for the same reason. Heaven forbid people take the time to actually call/email/text individually instead of sending it to damn near everyone on their 500+ person friends list.

I do have a Twitter account, but I log in probably once every 6-8 months when there's some sort of policy update or some such. I don't really follow anyone. Not sure why I haven't closed it.

Define "use". I have a Facebook account, but I tuned off all the notifications and never log in.

hmmm I don't feel so alone anymore.. kind of ironic since I've shunned all "social" media sites :D

I deleted my facebook about a month ago when they switched me to timeline. The ONLY thing i miss about it is how i could easily send my friends links to funny videos/music.

hmmm I don't feel so alone anymore.. kind of ironic since I've shunned all "social" media sites :D

If you want a non-social social network, join Google+!
0.000001% of the US population Uses Google+
I am the 0.000001%! :D

You're all terrorists. Clearly you're hiding something.

Wasn't that a headline some time in the recent past?

So 107,499,212 people are in the stone age? Okay. Talk to me how that fear of "THE COMPUTER" and it TAKING OVER THE WORLD is working for you too. Oh right, would've had to conquer that fear just to be on these forums.

Pffft. *reads the "waste of time" thing earlier in the thread* ...what, watching the brain rot programming on TLC is any better use of time? At the very least, how you spend your time is subjective and to label any kind of social interaction as "wasting time" is just ... ridiculous.

My wife told my son today that the guy who narrates the space odyssey shows on the Science channel died (Morgan Freeman).

I said where the fuck did you hear that? She replied, FACEBOOK!

Super fail. Facebook is dumb.

Pffft. *reads the "waste of time" thing earlier in the thread* ...what, watching the brain rot programming on TLC is any better use of time? At the very least, how you spend your time is subjective and to label any kind of social interaction as "wasting time" is just ... ridiculous.
It's all just opinion, one that struck a nerve obviously :p

First I will admit to having accounts on both... to get free stuff.

Second calling Facebook and Twitter "social interaction" is laughable nonsense.

i use it for deals and coupons.

most recently, amex deals. $40 free best buy gift cards, free mcdonalds gc's, free panera bread gc's.
I love free.

I just don't understand why amex has to use such a shitty medium as FB. I'd rather sign up through their own website for freebies.

Anyway, the internet population of the US is 240 million.
2/3 of that is 160 million.

160 million americans use facebook or twitter. keyword "OR"
So given that, let's dissect FB's 900+million users.
80 million american FB users is a reasonable guess.
another 80 million in Europe

that means 750 million+ FB users are fakes/duplicates or from poor countries, and worth garbage to investors.

I feel good being part of the 34% that doesn't use either FB or Twit, and I thought I was much more alone than I really am.

I feel good being part of the 34% that doesn't use either FB or Twit, and I thought I was much more alone than I really am.

Like you, I like the fact that I don't use any of the social networking sites. I'd rather interact with people face to face.

While I dont really like Facebook that much, in fact I hate it, it is convenient. Being in the military I don't have the luxury of being with friends and family of the past and I don't always want to call them. Facebook just makes it easier to keep in contact with them whenever I want.

That is some insane market penetration if true.

This is the crux of Facebook. On one hand I look at it and say "How can this be worth anything?". But on the other hand you have basically the equivalent of the creation of the radio and there is only 1 channel and a large part of the country is listening to it. So there has to be a worth to being the owner of that medium.

Didn't read article, did look at thor dude.

how many of us clicked only to see the guy dressed as Thor? :D

No homo?

I don't use any social media, and wouldn't give a crap if their servers melted down. If there's something free or a deal, and it requires a "like", I just pass on it (except for the one free game I got by making a bogus account, but I've dumped it since then).

That is some insane market penetration if true.

This is the crux of Facebook. On one hand I look at it and say "How can this be worth anything?". But on the other hand you have basically the equivalent of the creation of the radio and there is only 1 channel and a large part of the country is listening to it. So there has to be a worth to being the owner of that medium.

"There has to be", yet why does there have to be?

You can bombard people all you want with ads but that doesn't mean they'll buy anything. I keep seeing an ad from Antec for their P280 computer box, that I'm never going to even consider buying, in the top banner ad slot on [H] forums....the only reason those ads aren't blocked on my machine is because it supports [H] having that ad displayed above the content. The value of advertising is massively overrated these days for the most part.

As a means of reaching consumers, I hate FB and Twitter. During the HP Touchpad Firesale fiasco, the company that sold me mine *FOREVER* earned my hatred...because the CEO was only posting an update on the situation every now and again on the corp Faceplant page, and not somewhere obvious most people would go to look...said CEO's company's name got so tarnished by the whole affair that they rebranded themselves entirely 2 weeks later.

Twitter is a great way to get up to the minute sports news... that's what I use it for. I still haven't found a good use of my facebook account.

Officially I am not on Facebook.

I have a twitter account though for lurking. My favorite models are always putting stuff up from shoots and candids. My favorite youtubers are also on there and more active on there than their Google+, so its nice to kno when a new vid is being put up.

I'm a huge NON-fan of social media sites, with major beefs with Twitter and Facebook.

Unfortunately, I'm also currently in the middle of a social campaign to try and rescue the City of Heroes MMO from a rapid sunset by NCSoft.

The most common thing people seem to have between them are:

Facebook accounts
Twitter accounts
Google+ accounts

As a consequence, I've had to dive face-first into all of them, learning as I go.
I'm not happy about it. I still detest the medium.
But it IS making it possible for me to keep several thousand people semi-coordinated and informed.
I'm also pushing myself into the Steam community as well.

On top of that I've had to step up my presence in the three major forums (the official ones, the ones for the Titan support network, and an independent forum called Unleashed).

It's a lot of work, but I'd rather do everything I can now. Rather than regret doing nothing later.

I'm a huge NON-fan of social media sites, with major beefs with Twitter and Facebook.

Unfortunately, I'm also currently in the middle of a social campaign to try and rescue the City of Heroes MMO from a rapid sunset by NCSoft.

The most common thing people seem to have between them are:

Facebook accounts
Twitter accounts
Google+ accounts

As a consequence, I've had to dive face-first into all of them, learning as I go.
I'm not happy about it. I still detest the medium.
But it IS making it possible for me to keep several thousand people semi-coordinated and informed.
I'm also pushing myself into the Steam community as well.

On top of that I've had to step up my presence in the three major forums (the official ones, the ones for the Titan support network, and an independent forum called Unleashed).

It's a lot of work, but I'd rather do everything I can now. Rather than regret doing nothing later.

That seems like a lot of work to convince a company to keep a product it doesn't see as profitable alive. :( Commendable for those that like that kinda thing, but if the company is driven to monetize its assets that means killing off fundamentally unprofitable services that lack an acceptable revenue stream. If it wants to alter itself on a fundamental level, it's not going to keep something like that active regardless of the current community's desire to continue playing with it. Like it or not, gaming and selling games are business and business that doesn't meet expectations return on investment expectations have to be given the axe so the company can survive.

Then again, it could just be some stupid publicity stunt to reopen as a new service. That'd be a idiotic business move though since customers don't really like being messed with on an emotional level when they fall in love with a product. GOG.com's people can tell you all about how well stunts like that work. ;)

i use it for deals and coupons.
I just don't understand why amex has to use such a shitty medium as FB. I'd rather sign up through their own website for freebies.

This is one thing I really hate. There are too many companies who have switch to only putting thier deals up on Facebook.
I have actually stopped buying from a few companies because of this. I refuse to create a facebook account just so I can "like" them in order to get a deal or coupon. Instead I've taken my business elsewhere.

...I don't use any of the social networking sites. I'd rather interact with people face to face.
Same here. The closest thing to a social networking site that I frequent is right here at [H]ardForum. Other than here, I much prefer to deal with people face to face. :D

I deleted my Facebook account when I realized it was nothing but advertisements and pointless status updates from old high school acquaintances or distant relatives I never spoke to. I can only take a few thousand photographs of peoples' kids before enough is enough.

Back