Apple Looking to Create a Pandora Rival

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Several major news outlets reported this week that Apple was looking to start up a streaming music service that would go head to head with services like Pandora, Slacker and iHeartRadio. The reports weren’t totally unexpected since Apple has toyed with the idea ever since 2007.

If it's true that Apple is again in talks to launch a streaming service—and I'm inclined to believe that it's at least possible, given the leaks to high-profile publications like the WSJ and NYTimes—then it's most likely because Apple simply wants a slice of the streaming pie.

f*ck apple there already are enough music streaming services and they work well. typical apple dick move.

Q1 2013 - Apple announces iTunes Stream.
Q2 2013 - Apple launches iTunes Stream.
Q4 2013 - Apple sues Pandora! They'll claim patent Infingement & the theft of there innovative software :p.

Q1 2013 - Apple announces iTunes Stream.
Q2 2013 - Apple launches iTunes Stream.
Q4 2013 - Apple sues Pandora! They'll claim patent Infingement & the theft of there innovative software :p.

Yup thats about how apple operates. Fuck apple and apple can suck dez nuts. Apple are nothing but ganster thug goons who were taught very well by the RIAA/MPAA on how to steal.

originality is apples strong suit.. wow this might be a sign of their decline.

I wonder how Apple will extract their 30% profit margin on it. Probably similar to eBooks...... We'll all pay the price for Apple forcing itself into another part of the market.

Wonder how they plan on competing with iHeartRadio since its an online broadcast extension of the original station (not the broadcast which sucks).

Not sure why Apple wants to get into the forray with Pandora, if they demand higher profit margins the music will still go twords Pandora which is having trouble with profit margins :D.

Apple have already worked for years in fucking things up for the competition in the US, Spotify being a notable one, so I'm surprised they didn't bring it out already.

Wow guys, such intense blind hatred around here. This sounds like a very straight forward extension of a infrastructure they already have in place. iTunes can provide this service very easily and the music catalogue is quite large. It will probably be an extension of the genius feature or what ever its called that's suggests songs based on listening habits and user selected ratings.

Seriously, you guys need to get out and see the Sun more often.

Pandora is a great service. But as a iTunes user I would like having the same service that can download songs straight to my library. Especially being able to buy it on my phone and it automatically download on my server at home. iTunes can do this.

It doesn't detract from the service pandora offers though.

Wow guys, such intense blind hatred around here. This sounds like a very straight forward extension of a infrastructure they already have in place. iTunes can provide this service very easily and the music catalogue is quite large. It will probably be an extension of the genius feature or what ever its called that's suggests songs based on listening habits and user selected ratings.

i prefer going to the artist directly and paying up front (removing the middle man)

What did they do to spotify?

Sean Parker 'thinks' that they did something to prevent them from entering the US. But he has no proof, so everyone ran with it because they think it's something Apple would do. It's kind of like how blogs turned the Amazon/iTunes into a antitrust issue when in reality they were protesting Amazon's request for a days worth of exclusivity for their daily deals.

[H] and Toms need to have a competition for who has the bigger cesspool of Apple haters.

You know the Apple influence is out in full force when just a rumor of an Apple internet radio service is threatening enough to send Pandora's stock tumbling almost 17% in one day.

[H] and Toms need to have a competition for who has the bigger cesspool of Apple haters.

You know the Apple influence is out in full force when just a rumor of an Apple internet radio service is threatening enough to send Pandora's stock tumbling almost 17% in one day.

Or it's just going back to where it's been for around for the past six months or so. It's basically the same price as it was last week when they announced their quarterly results. They still aren't close to being profitable and may never be because of all the license fees. That's why there's also rumors that Apple could just save a lot of effort by simply buying them out.

I hope that was sarcasm. Apple hasn't had one original thought for the life of the company. Everything has been copied from something else.

i prefer going to the artist directly and paying up front (removing the middle man)

So you go knock on the artists' doors and say hey do you have a copy of so and so album lying around somewhere, here's 20 bucks?

iTunes is just a digital retail store like Fye is to physical retail store. I think you're confusing retail with publisher.

So you go knock on the artists' doors and say hey do you have a copy of so and so album lying around somewhere, here's 20 bucks?

iTunes is just a digital retail store like Fye is to physical retail store. I think you're confusing retail with publisher.

I LOL'd. Thanks for the chuckle. :D

Don't like itunes, you don't own the media at all even after the exchange of money. Its basically a music rental.

Don't like itunes, you don't own the media at all even after the exchange of money. Its basically a music rental.

You ARE aware that Apple did away with DRM in January 2009, are you? If you download an MP3 via iTunes, it's yours.

Another app that gets me music. I could care less where it comes from as long as it works.

...you don't like iTunes because of misinformation you harbor thanks to having never used it? :confused:

Monorail > iMac
Rio > iPod
Palm/Handspring & WindowsCE/Mobile > iPhone
Every tablet ever > iPad
Entire PC Industry > Intel Mac
Xerox PARC > MacOS
Surface > Multitouch
Voice Search > Siri
Braun > All of Apple's visual designs

EVERYTHING Apple has done was predated by something or someone else. They've not been an innovative company since Woz left.

Monorail > iMac
Rio > iPod
Palm/Handspring & WindowsCE/Mobile > iPhone
Every tablet ever > iPad
Entire PC Industry > Intel Mac
Xerox PARC > MacOS
Surface > Multitouch
Voice Search > Siri
Braun > All of Apple's visual designs

EVERYTHING Apple has done was predated by something or someone else. They've not been an innovative company since Woz left.

You forgot.

Apple > Samsung ;);)

:D:D:p

I read that this "service" (if actually launched) will not be available on Android devices too. Which suits me fine, since I don't use an iPhone but a Nexxus and I find that Pandora does me fine. And since I already subscribe to Rhapsody I have a paid for alternative that does have an app for both Android and IOS, besides for PC that allows me to stream music to my phone. Looks to me like Apple will be sucking hind tit if they do start doing this.

The blind hatred for anything Apple is ridiculous. "Oh Apple is gonna do something? I hate it already."

I just don't understand this logic. I use best of breed products where they make the most sense for the intended use. Period. I have Spotify Premium and am also a Pandora subscriber. I wouldn't switch to Apple's new service unless it was cheaper and/or better. I'll use anything that is a superior product if the cost is reasonable to my budget, or if specific functionality warrants extra cost.

F#@k 'em is all I can say, I hope Pandora, and Tune In Radio has a patent on their service, I can already see Apple claiming they invented the radio not long after launch, and radio waves were their idea.

F#@k 'em is all I can say, I hope Pandora, and Tune In Radio has a patent on their service, I can already see Apple claiming they invented the radio not long after launch, and radio waves were their idea.

Tired argument. It's starting to get old that "apple patented this idea," or "apple is going to sue for this". Really? Is that all people can come up with?

Tired argument. It's starting to get old that "apple patented this idea," or "apple is going to sue for this". Really? Is that all people can come up with?

Apparently that's all Apple can come up with... :p

This will all depend on how badly the music studios want to license another player in this market ... streaming is already pretty competitive and lucrative for the studios so they aren't really in a bind to give Apple good terms like they were at the beginning of mp3s and with iTunes. I am not sure the market really needs another streaming player anyway ... I like Pandora the best and have an annual subscription to them already. I tried Spotify and it is interesting (but not $10/month interesting ;) ). Since the studios are stakeholders in Spotify they have the biggest incentive for it to succeed over any other services.

Personally I think the only streaming service that Apple really needs is the ability for people to stream their songs out of the iCloud. Even though those are songs people already own it would benefit people like myself with large legacy collections. If they added some ability to share songs using Facebook or Twitter that might be a better use of the licensing fees that streaming would cost them. We'll see. Even though I don't think the market needs another player it doesn't hurt anything to add another competitor into the mix, even if that competitor is Apple :)

You ARE aware that Apple did away with DRM in January 2009, are you? If you download an MP3 via iTunes, it's yours.

You are aware that Bruce Willis just made headlines because he wants to bequeath his itunes library to his kids but he can't aren't you? You don't own the music you buy (actually rent) from itunes. You're just buying a license to listen to it while you're alive.

You are aware that Bruce Willis just made headlines because he wants to bequeath his itunes library to his kids but he can't aren't you? You don't own the music you buy (actually rent) from itunes. You're just buying a license to listen to it while you're alive.

You are aware that it wasn't true right?

You are aware that even buying a CD does come with "usage rights" right? Much like software, most music comes with a usage rights. You can't just do whatever you want with it.

You know you can't transfer your Steam games either. Do you buy anything on there?

You are aware that even buying a CD does come with "usage rights" right? Much like software, most music comes with a usage rights. You can't just do whatever you want with it.

Buying an audio CD does not equate to buying a game on Steam with a license that you agree to. You are able to read the Steam license before you purchase a game with Steam. There is no license agreement on or inside an Audio CD.

When it comes to Audio CDs, there is fair use and format shifting. If you want to argue that there is a license, then without terms being dictated, as long as one is purchasing a copy for his own use to listen to it however he can... you'd have a VERY fucking difficult time arguing against that in a court of law. To this day there still is no case law saying this cannot be done.

Ok so I can buy a CD and start broadcasting it? Or are you saying that is something I'm not allowed to do? If it's something that I am not allowed to do, is that not usage rights?

Pandora's stock took a pretty steep dive on Fri., I think 17%, when this story was released. :eek:

Pandora's stock took a pretty steep dive on Fri., I think 17%, when this story was released. :eek:

And as I mentioned earlier, that 17% was back to where it was a week earlier when they made their earning announcement. It's going to be a miracle if they can ever become profitable and more people getting into the market isn't going to help.

Back