PlayStation 3 Ushers in Augmented Reality ‘Wonderbooks’

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The first of Sony’s Wonderbooks will hit the shelves on November 13th, well before the Christmas shopping season begins. The initial offering of the Wonderbook experience will be J.K. Rowling’s Book of Spells, bringing spells to life on each page of the book.

How do you get soccer moms to get behind a PS3 for their children? Put crap in a book, which is not really a book at all, and you have a hot item, for very stupid soccer moms. In their head, book = educational.

It might make a nice tech demo, but I'm skeptical of how entertaining it's going to actually be.

it'll probably get boring after 10 minutes and the people who bought it will be thinking "oh god what have i done"

I am going to go against the stream and say that the tech behind this could be really useful. And the whole concept, if taken further, could be a fun and interesting game.

For instance, what if they took this technology and applied it to Myst III story-line? That could actually be a really cool way to tell a story which a unique art style.

I visualize a higher level of technology. One that can on the fly remove you from your room (on screen) and make the book of spells be completely new environments. Coupled with a decent surround sound setup and you could have fun.

but this is CLEARLY for children. Teens and up will have fun with it for 10 min then move on.

The real problem is you need the Eye, And the little ball thing to even use the book. That makes the price of entry for this one off too high.

Back