Computing With Water Droplets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers have taken water and computing to a whole new level. Watch these videos.

Using the tracks, the researchers demonstrated that water droplets could be turned into technology, "superhydrophobic droplet logic." For example, a memory device was built where water droplets act as bits of digital information. Furthermore, devices for elementary Boolean logic operations were demonstrated. These simple devices are building blocks for computing.

Simply awesome. Would love to see a full chain of logic gates doing, say, a simple calculation. Some years back when some guy used toy wood channels with metal balls to do logic addition.

Are we going back to the ENIAC? You need to make sure the room is cooled enough so that the water drops will not evaporate along the computing channel. :D

Are we going back to the ENIAC? You need to make sure the room is cooled enough so that the water drops will not evaporate along the computing channel. :D

shhhhh, let this go through, we can make millions on data protection.

I'm guessing some level of water loss is necessary in the first place to have it keep swapping paths.

I'm trying to figure out what this will be useful for? I can see where hydrophobic applications would be useful but computing with them?

for learning and fun, this is quite interesting, but unless we are looking for "gates" that operate at 1 drop per second... :D

Back