Microsoft Will Allow Downgrades from Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
As it has done in the past, Microsoft will give new PC buyers the option to downgrade their new purchases to either Windows 7 or Vista (shudder) :D Missing from the list this time is rights for Windows XP, which Microsoft is encouraging users to consider retired.

Traditionally, downgrade rights are available only from OEM copies of Windows, those that are pre-installed by computer manufacturers. It looks to be the same with Windows 8.

One can either consider this a standard Microsoft approach such as what was done with Vista and XP or a certain amount of backpedaling on the newer UI.

The good news for a lot of us already running either 7 or Vista, we've already upgraded our computers to a more advanced interface and won't have to install Windows 8 to downgrade to the upgraded version. :p

Or Upgrade... depending on your point of view. ;)

apart from the 'under-the-hood' improvements, i'd agree with that.

the downgrade - upgrade... wait i think i hear HLS (heatlesssun, just gotta abbreviate his name b/c his posts are so damn long) approaching to 'educate' us on the 'obvious' benefits win8 provides...

Win7 is certainly an upgrade for HTPC users as it has Media Center built in.

The downgrade is for businesses which does make since. After all, businesses are only just now switching to 7 which is no reflection on what 8 is like.

Is the downgrade free? Seems like anything you do nowadays is going to cost.

I sort of assumed this would happen. I imagine businesses will take advantage of it the most. Most regular people will never even know about it.

This has always been the case, just the specific rules change from version about what's allowed to be downgraded.

apart from the 'under-the-hood' improvements, i'd agree with that.

the downgrade - upgrade... wait i think i hear HLS (heatlesssun, just gotta abbreviate his name b/c his posts are so damn long) approaching to 'educate' us on the 'obvious' benefits win8 provides...

I imaged my laptop, put Win8 on it and tried to see how much I could make it look like Win7. I could not match things entirely (not until Stardock and others work their magic).

Bam. Windows 7 image went right back. I do not want a tablet interface on my laptop. My mother, who loves her iPad, recoiled at the idea of a similar interface on her PC.

Windows 8 is like a great car--powerful engine, gadgets galore...and crappy paint job with ugly-ass interior. Until I can fix the appearance, I don't care how good the rest of the vehicle is, especially since the one I have now (Win7) isn't exactly a beater.

Either way, it doesn't hurt Microsoft, as they still rake in the dough and don't miss an OS sale.

The way I see it is that every time Microsoft releases a fundamentally new OS there's a certain percentage of people who I will call "timid," who simply rebel against the new and prefer the old...;) My gosh, when WinXp shipped there were mutinies almost everywhere and columns from pundits used to Windows 95/2k who thought Microsoft was really blowing it! When Win95 shipped--same thing! I can remember a columnist for some computer mag by the name of Fred Langa who wrote this scathing diatribe against Windows 95 and pointed out why he thought Windows 3.1 was the greatest OS in all of history...;)

When Vista shipped it was the same thing, XP "ruled"--until Vista 2.0 (Windows 7) shipped, etc. and etc.

So...why shouldn't Microsoft take their money and sell them an older OS if that's what they want? Sure beats trying to argue with a telephone pole, imo. By the time Windows 9 rolls around (which will be Win8 2.0 just like Win7 was Vista 2.0) they'll fall in love with it, anyway...;) Some people are just congenitally "slower" than others, that's all.

Win8 upgrade is going for $39.99 and will include Media Center/Player for free, and frankly the more I use the RP version the more I really like Win8. And to think I paid $249 for Vista Ultimate an here I am paying $39.99 for Win8 Pro--the "Ultimate" version of Win8--which is less per license than the $150 I paid for the 3-license Win7 x64 Home Premium "family pack," and I don't have to buy three licenses to get that per-license price, either...! I'll bet there will be few people who will fail to see what a great deal this is in October.

Win7 is certainly an upgrade for HTPC users as it has Media Center built in.
My HTPC (and more importantly, the file server hosting all my media) are running Windows 8.

Upgraded directly from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro, Media Center was not removed, all of my Media Center plugins (like My Movies) continue to work, and all it took was one small tweak to boot the machine directly to Media Center.

The PC now starts up faster than ever, is much more responsive, and the more efficient codecs included with Windows 8 mean the fan spins up less often / never (which is important for a media center PC, we want as little noise as possible).

On the server side, Storage Spaces finally allowed me to consolidate all of my media, which is a HUGE step forward. The upgrade on both ends also eliminated some long-pauses while traversing network paths from inside Media Center.

All in all, the upgrade has made my entire setup feel faster and more fluid. The old setup using nothing but Windows 7 PC's felt pretty clunky in comparison...

My HTPC (and more importantly, the file server hosting all my media) are running Windows 8.

Just the same old stuff from the I hate Windows 8 crowd that never even bothers to lift a finger to find out for themselves what's there and then gets offended when people who have actually spent time with it point out their ignorance.

All in all, the upgrade has made my entire setup feel faster and more fluid. The old setup using nothing but Windows 7 PC's felt pretty clunky in comparison...

Man, I would love to have that too, just with a start button/menu. I guess I ask for too much! ;)

Just the same old stuff from the I hate Windows 8 crowd that never even bothers to lift a finger to find out for themselves what's there and then gets offended when people who have actually spent time with it point out their ignorance.

Annnd there you go again with your sweeping generalizations about everyone who disagrees with you about Win8.

You're a one trick pony and a lame one at that.

After all this time, you would think that people have gotten over Vista.

Vista was a great OS. Just people tried to run it on shitty hardware.

Now, in relation to the thread, glad they can get rid of Win 8. Win 8 makes me shudder..

Annnd there you go again with your sweeping generalizations about everyone who disagrees with you about Win8.

You're a one trick pony and a lame one at that.

Say what you will but I've seen factual error after factual error from people that weren't even trying to understand how things worked in Windows 8. Just one example of many I've seen with: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713784&page=2

He wasn't even trying to figure out what was going on, had ZERO interest in trying to determine what was going on after I SHOWED him that he was wrong. He just wanted to bash Windows 8 with completely incorrect information.

Again say what you will but there are people here that don't give a damn about correct information and you're going to sit that and question my agenda? Please.

He wasn't even trying to figure out what was going on, had ZERO interest in trying to determine what was going on after I SHOWED him that he was wrong. He just wanted to bash Windows 8 with completely incorrect information.

Who gives a crap? It's not your best friend. Stop taking things so personally.

Windows 8 needs to fail, for the good of the users. Because of this stupid direction they are taking. People should be free to choose what to install, and what kind of programs they wish to run, and not have microsoft remote wipe their data and program files or tell a developer what they can and can't include in their programs. They are trying more than anything to push this shitty Windows Store and push all software into it.

Thats where this shit is heading, and it is shortsighted to help them to this goal. The terms are way too far in their favour, and only an idiot would accept this shitty OS as it is. This turd of an OS needs to die, quickly and embarrasingly to send a message that what they are proposing isn't acceptable. But go right ahead and continue promotion.

Man, I would love to have that too, just with a start button/menu. I guess I ask for too much! ;)

I feel you bud, I had a chance to upgrade my '07 Corvette for a '12 with an extra 100hp, but the push button start was a deal killer. Key or see ya :rolleyes:

Who gives a crap? It's not your best friend. Stop taking things so personally.

I don't give a crap, but when did a place called [H]ardForum give people who didn't know that the hell they were talking a free pass? When people don't know what the hell they are talking about people are quick who do are generally quick to point it out. That's why is't called [H]ardForum and not say random stupid shit about shit that you don't know that the fuck you're talking about forum.

I've been shot down plenty of times around here and I was thankful for it because instead of being an ignorant ass I learned something.

Say what you will but I've seen factual error after factual error from people that weren't even trying to understand how things worked in Windows 8. Just one example of many I've seen with: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713784&page=2

Again say what you will but there are people here that don't give a damn about correct information and you're going to sit that and question my agenda? Please.

You point out one person who is wrong and use that to bash everyone else who disagrees with you about Win8, as if that one person in error proves that everyone who doesn't like Win8 is full of shit and are lying about having used it for any length of time.

You're the Microsoft version of the Energizer bunny; you keep going and going and going...

Kill the wabbit... kill the wabbit... kill the wabbit!

Uh... I was talking about my media center PC's. Their sole purpose is running Windows Media Center in full-screen mode, they never even used the Start menu anyway.

Another thread being used by Heatlesssun as a pulpit for his holy teachings which polarizes people and eliminates useful discussion.

People should be free to choose what to install, and what kind of programs they wish to run, and not have microsoft remote wipe their data and program files or tell a developer what they can and can't include in their programs.
Uh... only metro applications fall under that description.

Desktop applications? Business as usual, they work exactly like they did in Windows 7. Microsoft has no control over them and has shown no interest in exercising control over them.

Nothing has been taken away here...so I'm really not sure what you're on about.

I feel you bud, I had a chance to upgrade my '07 Corvette for a '12 with an extra 100hp, but the push button start was a deal killer. Key or see ya :rolleyes:

MS removing the start button/menu in Win8 isn't even comparable to Keyless Go in a car, at all, which added features to something you already have, a key. They didn't take away your key altogether....lol. Giving me a GUI best used by a touch display when I don't have a touch display is not helping me, it's hurting me. And I've ran Win8 and I'm going off of my initial personal experience with it.

So it'd be more comparable if you said they added 100 more HP to the newer model but ripped out half the dash/cluster (Not mentioning the fact it keeps telling me to sign into my MS account, which I don't have, and never planned to). Give me back my key and I'll happily start to use Keyless Go over time. Try and force it on me though thinking you know what's best for me and you can go fuck yourself.

Uh... I was talking about my media center PC's. Their sole purpose is running Windows Media Center in full-screen mode, they never even used the Start menu anyway.

Uh...not to split hairs here but you mentioned your server too. Yet I'm sure the start menu has just been utterly useless to you as an individual for quite sometime and you're just happy it's finally gone. Congratz Bro! However I still want it.

Uh...not to split hairs here but you mentioned your server too. Yet I'm sure the start menu has just been utterly useless to you as an individual for quite sometime and you're just happy it's finally gone. Congratz Bro! However I still want it.
The server is headless, never saw a start menu on it either...

Congratz Bro! Point still stands. I don't have a touch display so my OS shouldn't be tweaked for one.
What point? I was talkign with Snowdog about media center PC's, then you said you wanted that setup with a start button... I still don't udnerstand why you would want or need a start button on a media center PC, which spends its entire life displaying a 10-foot UI in full-screen mode

Also, the start screen was tweaked to work well with everything. Mouse, keyboard, touch, doesn't matter. It's far more customizable than the start menu was, for all modes of input.

If you want an example of a UI that's designed SPECIFICALLY for touch (and IR remotes), then pop open Windows Media Center. Try using it with a mouse, you'll see the difference...

Another thread being used by Heatlesssun as a pulpit for his holy teachings which polarizes people and eliminates useful discussion.

And another thread that you have nothing to offer to the discussion because you're not using the product on a regular basis. Reomove the mote for your own eye first.

You point out one person who is wrong and use that to bash everyone else who disagrees with you about Win8, as if that one person in error proves that everyone who doesn't like Win8 is full of shit and are lying about having used it for any length of time.

You're the Microsoft version of the Energizer bunny; you keep going and going and going...

Kill the wabbit... kill the wabbit... kill the wabbit!

As I said, I've seen endless posts with incorrect information, I don't even bother to respond to most simply because most people around here are more interested in their agendas than listening. There are several people around here that aren't Windows 8 fans but they were happy to get some help from someone that was more interested in facts than bashing people that are working to learn.

And another thread that you have nothing to offer to the discussion because you're not using the product on a regular basis. Reomove the mote for your own eye first.

Because your opinion is so much more valid than anyone on the forum. :rolleyes:

It is. The man has a Win8 logo tattooed on his lower back, ffs. Anyone who's willing to go to such great lengths deserves to condescend others.

Anyway, it's a good move by MS. At least they're not forcing Win8 as hard as we thought they were. Metro's coupling with Win8 on the other hand...

No, it's just that you like many others have offered not a single fact or description of any real-life experience relating to Windows 8 beyond mere opinion. As I described in another thread, there are now gestures with track pads that aren't compatible with these Start Menu replacements at this point. I descried the experience in detail, it's something that you can even try one your own, instead of complaining about the hardware that others have that you don't. You offered not even an opinion of this and continued on personal attacks.

So if you have an opinion of something about Windows 8 then why not state it rather continue with childish personal attacks?

What point? I was talkign with Snowdog about media center PC's, then you said you wanted that setup with a start button... I still don't udnerstand why you would want or need a start button on a media center PC...

I'm pretty sure I want a start button on my PC (my super duper information gathering system, if I must name it). I'm not saying "I'm fine because I'm running headless (which could still be using a monitor, just not local to that PC) and have a HTPC so a start button is useless", that's you and your justification for your actions! I want a start button (as an option) whether I'm running a server, HTPC for mega pron viewing, OR my super duper information gathering system aka my command center.

I'm not a bad person for being honest saying I still want a start menu. I should also be able to get this feeling

with this.

Also, the start screen was tweaked to work well with everything. Mouse, keyboard, touch, doesn't matter.
I'm sure it was tweaked. However yes it does matter what it was primarily built/tweaked for. There are easily a thousand analogies to give here so I won't.

It's far more customizable than the start menu was, for all modes of input.
Subjective? I disagree with your opinion.

If you want an example of a UI that's designed SPECIFICALLY for touch (and IR remotes), then pop open Windows Media Center. Try using it with a mouse, you'll see the difference...
I use this all the time with my mouse, it's not great but it's not terrible either. Feels like using Win8 to me so I don't see the drastic difference you do. The fact I can exit out of it and use my start menu to find/search/locate/lookup/etc everything on my PC is great too though. Like an all in one button. If it was ever missing from my OS, I don't think I could use that OS :p

I don't always use my start menu...but when I do....I'd like it to be there.
Even if over time I use it less and less.

All this talk in the articles, and i still don't know that if i buy the cheapo $39 digital upgrade from W7 to W8 if i will be able to switch between Windows 8 and Windows 7 at will - of course only of them will be installed, but if for some reason i will need to go back to Windows 7, can i ? :D

Why so serious?

I just find hypocrisy interesting. If I were in a Linux thread and weren't running Linux, I'd be told I didn't know what I was talking about. It I were in an Apple thread and didn't have an iOS or OS X device I'd be told that I didn't know what I was talking about.

However in a Windows 8 thread, where I have Windows 8 running on devices that it's clearly targeted for and have for a year now, I'm just being boastful or just offering an opinion where no one with their personal attacks against me is offering an opinion based on similar experience, at least not one that they took any time trying to figure out.

If these people had some experience or facts to discuss it would be much more interesting than talking about the personal circumstances of strangers. But that's the kind of stuff that happens when deep changes are on the way and people refuse to learn rather or adapt. Attack the messenger, call it opinion, call it blindness, do anything but learn and adapt.

They definitely needed this. I didn't even bother downloading windows 8 because of the horrible reviews i've seen

Back