7970 Vapor-X 3GB can't change voltage....

hey guys, i'm new here i actually got this new gpu yesterday but i can't control the voltages on this card tried trixx and after burner i can input the voltage i want on the slider but it just won't apply do i need to edit the bios ?

Lol.

Sorry no one replied to you.

I forget how it works with TriXX, but with Afterburner, you have to go into Settings, and Unlock Voltage Control. If I recall correctly, TriXX has to be unlocked in a similar fashion.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could also have something to do with the new Catalyst drivers. You may need to add the old registry files to remove the OC locks. Let me just do a look around to see where I found that before...

Lol.

Sorry no one replied to you.

I forget how it works with TriXX, but with Afterburner, you have to go into Settings, and Unlock Voltage Control. If I recall correctly, TriXX has to be unlocked in a similar fashion.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could also have something to do with the new Catalyst drivers. You may need to add the old registry files to remove the OC locks. Let me just do a look around to see where I found that before...

thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Er, a few more questions...:

Do you mean the voltage won't move at all? Or the voltage only increases to a certain number? (Like 1175 or 1300)

And which catalyst version are you using?

Er, a few more questions...:

Do you mean the voltage won't move at all? Or the voltage only increases to a certain number? (Like 1175 or 1300)

And which catalyst version are you using?

it will move in trixx slider like normal but then id doesn't change anything in the real world gpuz still reads the same amount of voltage no increase overclockability for more voltage or decreased for less voltage and no change in vrms heat , got it ?

yes i did !
from the registry....

I have never disabled anything in registry and only disabled ULPS in TRIX and over voltage over clocking has worked fine on my card. I think something is screwed up at the registry level. Did you flash your BIOS on your card?

I have never disabled anything in registry and only disabled ULPS in TRIX and over voltage over clocking has worked fine on my card. I think something is screwed up at the registry level. Did you flash your BIOS on your card?

i tried to flash the original ghz edition bios on it but it just screws the card and make it display messed up information in gpu-z and makes the catalyst stop recognizing it as an AMD hardware if you know what i mean !

i tried to flash the original ghz edition bios on it but it just screws the card and make it display messed up information in gpu-z and makes the catalyst stop recognizing it as an AMD hardware if you know what i mean !

:eek:

You deleted important registry files and you had some bad BIOS flashes with your card. No wonder the card isn't working.

Reinstall your OS and flash the original BIOS back onto your card. That will probably fix your problem.

:eek:

You deleted important registry files and you had some bad BIOS flashes with your card. No wonder the card isn't working.

Reinstall your OS and flash the original BIOS back onto your card. That will probably fix your problem.

original bios was backedup and restored long ago already , need to do an os re-install and report back !

original bios was backedup and restored long ago already , need to do an os re-install and report back !

Sorry to be so drastic on the fix but sometimes doing a fresh OS install is the best way to fix registry errors.

Sorry to be so drastic on the fix but sometimes doing a fresh OS install is the best way to fix registry errors.

by the way i just discovered something , any changes on the voltage i make in trixx or msi after burner applies in the -non- boost state and not the boost state which kicks in when gpu is under heavy load !! and i guess that is why i thought the voltage was not changing at all no matter tha value i set in trixx it actually changes but in the "wrong" mood do you understand what i mean ?

hmmm.....yea really helpful buddy:rolleyes:

The 950mhz card is the best card, I dunno, I personally would rather avoid something with the "boost" option as its nothing more than a pita. I honestly wish Kepler didn't have it....

You probably won't see a fix unless/until Sapphire drops a new bios, or somehow adds better support for it in Trixx, and I wouldn't hold my breathe knowing Sapphire.

by the way i just discovered something , any changes on the voltage i make in trixx or msi after burner applies in the -non- boost state and not the boost state which kicks in when gpu is under heavy load !! and i guess that is why i thought the voltage was not changing at all no matter tha value i set in trixx it actually changes but in the "wrong" mood do you understand what i mean ?

I don't run MSI afterburner. I don't have it installed either. I just run TRIX and no problems with voltage working during over clocking.

The 950mhz card is the best card, I dunno, I personally would rather avoid something with the "boost" option as its nothing more than a pita. I honestly wish Kepler didn't have it....

You probably won't see a fix unless/until Sapphire drops a new bios, or somehow adds better support for it in Trixx, and I wouldn't hold my breathe knowing Sapphire.

can't take my card back.....so all you do is making me feel sorry :( , sorry if i was rude !

update : forcing constant voltages in msi after burner actually lets me control the voltage on that "boost" mood but atleast now the voltage value actually changes i've put 1.2v and could overclock to 1200mhz core before i could only do 1160mhz @ 1.15v ( yea that's the real value of it's stock voltage ! not 1.256 as i thought before)

ok i figured out what needs to be done , we just need a trixx update so that we can control the voltages on "boost" mood cause all the voltage control applications present to date will only control the voltage in "base" mood , the only work around available now is to set the msi afterburner to force constant voltage, turned out that my chip is not a bad overclocker i could do 1250/1750 MHz using 1250/1600 mV

How are you changing the memory voltage? Trixx doesn't have an option for that (at least the version I'm running with my 7970 Vapor-X edition).

Back