Google Lands Patent for Automatic Object Recognition

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google is starting to scare some people just a little with their ability to recognize faces, songs and now all objects in a video. If Google were to connect all of the dots simultaneously, any object could be identified and stored in a database for future use or it could just be used to enhance the Google Street View experience. In any case, Google now owns the patent for the recognition technology.

The one mystery is what Google plans to do with its new found observational skills, if anything.

No mystery, they will add that to their database of spying on the public in general and find the most profitable way to monetize the data through a combination of selling it to marketers, the government, and sites with banner ads.

I think I'm infringing on Google's patent - I can recognize objects in a video with my brain.

I think I'm infringing on Google's patent - I can recognize objects in a video with my brain.

Good observation. I hadn't thought of that. Artificial intelligence is beginning to get to where the movies are about.

Isn't this a big area of research in a lot of universities? Is it just the algorithm that is patented or the concept? The algorithm would make sense but the general idea would be absurd.

Isn't this a big area of research in a lot of universities? Is it just the algorithm that is patented or the concept? The algorithm would make sense but the general idea would be absurd.

Yes, it's a huge thing. I'm hoping it's the specific algorithm and not the general idea (which is what Apple patented with squares with rounded corners).

I should apply for a patent on "thing" that does "stuff". The way the patent office works these days, I'm thinking I could get it approved and make billions patent trolling.

I should apply for a patent on "thing" that does "stuff". The way the patent office works these days, I'm thinking I could get it approved and make billions patent trolling.

I'll back you as long as you promise to end Facebook and consequently all the tabloid news about Zuckerberg after the closing.

Back