ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Why have Asus listed the spec as "Panel Type : IPS Technology (PLS Panel)"? its either one or the other!

It's actually using a PLS panel. So semi-glossy then? That'd be nice.

It's actually using a PLS panel. So semi-glossy then? That'd be nice.

where is that confirmed please? how do we know? given Asus have used IPS on other models up until now are we sure they've changed?

where is that confirmed please? how do we know? given Asus have used IPS on other models up until now are we sure they've changed?

Well it says PLS panel on the website so i'd assume it's using one.

Maybe it says IPS because the term is more known than PLS and would hence attract more attention.

Well it says PLS panel on the website so i'd assume it's using one.

Maybe it says IPS because the term is more known than PLS and would hence attract more attention.

the only reference to either on their site says "Panel Type : IPS Technology (PLS Panel)" so could really be either....bit confusing

Anyone had compared IPS vs PLS? Image quality, its about the same?
Read the reviews on S24A850, S27A850D and S27B970D at Prad and TFT Central, compare to similar size IPS monitors. PLS appears to have slightly lower contrast and maybe slightly lower pixel response (though that may be variable due to different attempts at RTC) and similar uniformity issues to IPS.

These differences aren't much to be concerned about, the difference in AG coat is more significant. After considering the AG the main concern is receiving a monitor with a reasonably uniform panel.

doesnt OCX have the 850 pls and a crossover.. he probably can tell us which one he prefer.

PLS it's considered a subset of IPS panel.

I would say 100% PLS.

it's not at all. IPS is an established technolgy which has been around for years and is manufacturers primarily by LG.Display. PLS on the other hand was a technology created recently by Samsung as a response to the popularity of IPS. Samsung don't make IPS panels at all, and LG.Display don't make PLS. so it's one or the other. performance might well be similar between the two types, but it's going to be one of the other type officially

PLS is definitely Samsungs answer to IPS. Likely with enough changes to avoid IPS patents.

But the results are nearly identical. Similar contrast, similar response times, similar backlight bleed, and similar "IPS glow".

Two differently named technologies could hardly be more similar. I would say there is a bigger difference between PVA/MVA than IPS/PLS.

If I had to give one a slight edge, it would be IPS, being the more mature product, it seems to have a very slight edge on contrast/uniformity/response time. But really nothing you could likely tell by looking at them.

The biggest draw for the PLS panels was that they didn't have the strong AG coating like on the LG IPS panels.

But even that is changing now. The newest Dell U2713 now has a very light AG coating as well, so even that is now a wash.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

So basically everything is very close. Don't decide on IPS vs PLS. Read the actual reviews.

definitely not, and my point was only that we're not sure if it's truly a PLS panel or an IPS panel at this stage. end user experience may be very similar, but the actual spec is a little unclear

Note that LG did not invent IPS and I'm not sure what patents, if any, they hold. IPS was invented by one of the Japanese joint ventures iirc two or three of Fujitsu, NEC and Hitachi. Somewhere along the way Panasonic got involved and the Panasonic-Hitachi partnership resulted in the IPS-Alpha business, but LG have long had a license to use the tech. Maybe LG have bought some of the patents?

It's possible Samsung have obtained a licence from the Japanese business (or LG) Would we know if they had? because such a license agreement would be disclosed to investors?

Last edited:
Looks like an awesome monitor. Wonder how long it will be before we see some reviews?

Note that LG did not invent IPS and I'm not sure what patents, if any, they hold.

Many, possibly more than anyone else at this point. They didn't invent it, but they kept refining it and patenting those refinements.

If you look at an early IPS patent and check what references it, you will see many later LG patents:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6452657

But that is beside the point. From the consumer POV, IPS and PLS are essentially the same thing. They deliver the same kind of results.

It is going to be a matte screen. There is a video of the monitor on YouTube. I'd like to see this compared to my S27B970.

Does anyone here have a technical document with regards to the differences between IPS and PLS? Pixel structure and whatnot? Would be interesting to read

I dare to say that PLS has probably slightly more vivid colors. Which suits better the multimedia purposes.

I dare to say that PLS has probably slightly more vivid colors. Which suits better the multimedia purposes.

That would be a function of the backlight gamut and filter elements chosen. Zero to do with the IPS/PLS switching elements.

Also I see zero evidence that this exists in any systematic way.

PLS do have lower contrast than the best IPS (800-900:1) vs 1100:1), but they don't have the same green+pink tinting issues many IPS have been notorious for and are very consistent in terms of contrast/gamma while IPS panels contrast tends to very by up to 30% between units.

Many of the newer LED back-lit 27" IPS also seem to have a dark vertical brightness stripe near the bottom of the display.

The main issue with PLS is the back-light bleeding & the price of the S24A850DW is insulting (450$) considering the non-existent quality control & pricing of the Dell U2412 & PA248Q.

PLS do have lower contrast than the best IPS (800-900:1) vs 1100:1), but they don't have the same green+pink tinting issues many IPS have been notorious for and are very consistent in terms of contrast/gamma while IPS panels contrast tends to very by up to 30% between units.

Many of the newer LED back-lit 27" IPS also seem to have a dark vertical brightness stripe near the bottom of the display.

The main issue with PLS is the back-light bleeding & the price of the S24A850DW is insulting (450$) considering the non-existent quality control & pricing of the Dell U2412 & PA248Q.

Yeah I was going to comment on the backlight bleed as well. I know the 850 series many were complaining about backlight bleed.

While my tablet might not really fit into the comparison, it is a PLS display (the brand new Galaxy Note 10.1) and there is a fair bit of backlight bleed, one nice splotch on one of the sides...

If this can be corrected or at least be subjected to better quality control, PLS could look very attractive at the right pricing. I believe it is also better for gamers vs other IPS displays.

That would be a function of the backlight gamut and filter elements chosen. Zero to do with the IPS/PLS switching elements.

Also I see zero evidence that this exists in any systematic way.
I'm just comparing almost glossy (photodon crystal clear film instead of the default AG) HP ZR2740W vs the Samsung S27B970. Samsung is certanly more vibrant.

I'm just comparing almost glossy (photodon crystal clear film instead of the default AG) HP ZR2740W vs the Samsung S27B970. Samsung is certanly more vibrant.

Again, that is absolutely nothing to do IPS/PLS.

You can also get a extremely mirror glossy IPS Apple Cinema Display. If that is your criteria, it doesn't get glossier than that, so by your reckoning, more vibrant. There are also numerous cheap Korean glossy IPS screens.

Again, that is absolutely nothing to do IPS/PLS.

You can also get a extremely mirror glossy IPS Apple Cinema Display. If that is your criteria, it doesn't get glossier than that, so by your reckoning, more vibrant. There are also numerous cheap Korean glossy IPS screens.

I'm not looking for a glossy screen. I am comparing the two almost equally glossy screens, and it looked to me that samsung had more vibrant colors than HP.

I'm not looking for a glossy screen. I am comparing the two almost equally glossy screens, and it looked to me that samsung had more vibrant colors than HP.

If you don't want a glossy screen, why are you comparing the glass fronted S27B970, which is definitely glossy?

All this indicates is that those two exact models had different calibration and you preferred one over the other.

It doesn't mean all PLS panels will show a similar result vs all IPS panels.

Color vibrancy has essentially nothing to do with switching technology.

One comparison, doesn't make a pattern.

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing all models - just two of them with similar characteristics. No theory - just what I see with my own eyes - take it or leave it. PLS has more vivid colors from my experience than IPS.

I wasn't comparing all models - just two of them with similar characteristics. No theory - just what I see with my own eyes - take it or leave it. PLS has more vivid colors from my experience than IPS.

You are making one specific comparison, then jumping to a faulty general conclusion. There is zero basis for that conclusion on any general level.

BTW where was the glossy ZR2740W obtained? Did someone strip and replace the normal coating then buy a photodon protective sheet?

You are making one specific comparison, then jumping to a faulty general conclusion. There is zero basis for that conclusion on any general level.

BTW where was the glossy ZR2740W obtained? Did someone strip and replace the normal coating then buy a photodon protective sheet?

lol Yes I did replace it. And I'm not jumping anywhere - I clearly stated that I find PLS to have more vibrant colors than IPS.

lol Yes I did replace it. And I'm not jumping anywhere - I clearly stated that I find PLS to have more vibrant colors than IPS.

When you make a general statement about some technology based on 1 sample. You are jumping to faulty general conclusion.

Worse still you have no idea why the actual difference exists, and if it had anything to do with PLS/IPS technology. Which it almost certainly didn't.

There are 3 categories that affect perceived vividness:

1: Surface treatment: PLS/IPS has no effect on this, and in your 1 comparison, you comparing a glass coversheet with a self applied surface protector. Likely a bigger difference there, than between IPS/PLS.

2: Overall contrast. Similar between both, in general IPS has a very slight edge in this category.

3: Color Gamut, and/or calibration issues. Again, not an IPS/PLS issue.

I would say most likely that you didn't have the screens calibrated or were using non color aware applications. So #3 is most likely.

But it really doesnt' matter which is the cause because in this case none of them are really general IPS/PLS issues.

It would be so nice to have a Samsung type IPS panel instead of the crap with inaccurate colors that LG always puts out.

Before I put my foot in my mouth, did you calibrate both monitors on the same system with the same calibration device and software? Just trying to get to the bottom of what it was that you saw and why the difference.

I'm curious to see how it does with regards to black depth. That's my biggest complaint about IPS.

The PLS panel in the S27A850 and S27B970 is known to have a slightly wider color gamut than sRGB, whereas the panel in the ZR2740W and Apple Cinema Display (and now Dell U2713HM) is almost exactly sRGB.

This would explain the difference in vibrance/color saturation.

time for these companies to stop sticking their c*cks in our but and make a screen that is more competitive with the imported korean market. make this for $400 and ill be a happy camper.

The PLS panel in the S27A850 and S27B970 is known to have a slightly wider color gamut than sRGB, whereas the panel in the ZR2740W and Apple Cinema Display (and now Dell U2713HM) is almost exactly sRGB.

This would explain the difference in vibrance/color saturation.

Judging by the TFT Central review the U2713HM's court gamut goes beyond sRGB slightly as well. Matte surfaces certainly change the appearance of colours as they diffuse the light to fulfil their function, too.

Last edited:
Judging only from the specs and the video this looks like a really nice monitor, but I wish they would have dropped the little speakers and instead included a USB 3.0 hub of some sort. From a features perspective, the Dell U2713HM looks a lot more compelling to me.

An Asus rep posted over on another forum that the suggested retail price for this unit is to be $600. Will be interesting to see how it comparest to the Dell 2713.

Back