Hybrid PhysX Latest Drivers (ATi+nVidia) now FluidMark1.4+ works finally!

Working?

• Total voters

P10-17000

Weaksauce
In case you didn't know Hybrid PhysX didn't work since 11/11 drivers, thus creating problems especially for Alice2, Batman2, and FluidMark 1.4/5, until now:

Here is a patch to run these games with latest driver(s) on AMD/ATI GPU with additional/secondary 256MB+ GeForce8000+ and 32/64bit Win XP/7/8 but NOT Vista!

You just right-click "run as admin" the EXE and you are good to go, now further hacks required, easy peasy every-last-FPS-squeezy!
WARNING: You HAVE to run it again if you update driver(s) or games WILL CRASH your PC !!!

I think if you disable the PhysX card in Device Manager when not in use or enable Link State Power Management it won't use any power (maybe.)

Original "Hybrid PhysX" thread, with instructions/donations here: http://208.43.146.86/graphic-cards/...with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

1. run this file#1 before you install GeForce+PhysX
2.Direct Download file#2 here FREE

FAQ:
Does Hybrid Physx work with HD3D?
YES! yay
Will, say, 8800gt be fast enough for any physX implementation out there? What would be the minimum?
8800GT should be fine. My GTX260-216 is basically the fastest card out there as no real improvement is seen with higher cards and maxes at 43% load IIRC in Batman2 ([AC] the most intense game out so far, barring FluidMark) since that has 0.9/1.1TeraFlops OCed with 216cores and your 112cores have 0.33-0.5TFmax it should use/load 94% since we run the shaders at similar MHz, if my calculations are correct. --Others use your card. You have basically half my card's power/VRAM bandwidth (56->112GBps) but it only uses 3% or so memory bandwidth anyway so it should be fine. It works with any Geforce8+ (at least 256MB probably) and should only be slightly slower than with PhysX OFF, even with a crap card --buy something cheap! However, it doesn't work on any Win Vista 32 or 64.
Thanks for the link! Been dragging my feet on this, but I'll dig up one of my old nvidia cards now...
You're welcome, remember to donate if you appreciate it.
Anyone know if this will work for Borderlands 2?
Yes, since BorderLands2 uses PhysX version 2.x it will work, just move the PhysX* and cuda* files/folders (you may need to restore PhysXCore.dll if the level doesn't load --no way to test that particular last item since even a demo isn't out yet. Will Work in Hitman5 (Absolution) also. All planned games coming out this year use v2.84 and v3 is finally optimized to use SSE+ so it should/seems to work fine without a Hybrid System. finally.

Last edited:
I got this to work with my 8800GT, it's not the best but I get ~2k in FluidMark and it took a HUGE load off of my CPU. Previously I would only get ~1k and my CPU would be at 100% on all cores.

One thing the guides don't mention or really make clear is that you have to delete the PhysXDevice.dll file from the directory of whatever application you're running, it drove me crazy before I figured that out.

EDIT: Seems like I used a different mod, I'm not sure what's different between them.

Last edited:
The link I gave above has the instructions to delete all PhysX* and cuda* files (except PhysXCore.dll for certain games)

The mod you used doesn't work for the latest PhysX. For Example FluidMark 1.4+ won't even detect the PPU hardware. Use the new download link provided above.

I've been researching hybrid physx pretty [H] but it was your last line that will keep me from going that route.

All planned games coming out this year use v2.84 and v3 is finally optimized to use SSE+ so it will should/seems to work fine without a Hybrid System. finally.

Well, there are no games with PhysX v3 planned to come out yet, it seems even looking up to a year from now, so if you want to play Batman2 or the upcoming BorderLands2 (Red Orchestra2 and Hitman5 are CPU-only apparently) that are all on v2 you will need it.

Plus, by the time PhysX v3 games come out, maybe they will be so CPU-intensive that it won't run smoothly anymore.

Anyway the download link above only supports Hybrid PhysX for v2. It is too hard to hack v3 so far, and no incentive yet since the games aren't out/planned and the demos that are work fine without hardware acceleration.

Just got a 7970, and will be picking up something cheap to pair with it for BL2, donation incoming as soon as I get it running! Thanks you!

Side note- are there any particular sweet spots in the 2xx/4xx area for use as a physx card?

Just got a 7970, and will be picking up something cheap to pair with it for BL2, donation incoming as soon as I get it running! Thanks you!

Side note- are there any particular sweet spots in the 2xx/4xx area for use as a physx card?

A GTX460 should be fine for a higher end system.

I was using a GTS250 before I got my 460, and it didn't have enough power to keep up with even a 4850.

Haven't tried my 460 with my CFX'ed 6870's... but since I now have a case that I can use all 3 cards with, I will probably set it up pretty soon.

Installed the latest WHQL nvidia driver, installed the latest physx software, ran the patch, rebooted. Not working. Mars Benchmark says the physx version is outdated, Fluidmark 1.5 says something like 'can't start physx 2.8.4' in the log.

Tried 285.62 driver with 9.11.0621 physx + 1.05ff patch before and it worked for Fluidmark 1.2

Anyone know how I can get the latest drivers for my GTX 460? I tried downloading the drivers for the card on Win7 x64 but upon installation the prompt said it was the wrong version.

Easier to just switch out my 6850 with my 460 and install the drivers via auto-determine from Nvidia's site?

Man this is driving me nuts. I can't get it working and I can't get it back to normal by undoing everything.

I spent an hour and a half last night trying to get BL2 to run, but it just keeps crashing. I wish it were as easy as everybody makes it seem.

Man this is driving me nuts. I can't get it working and I can't get it back to normal by undoing everything.

well, here's how you do it

ashmelev75 said:
1) Install the latest WHQL driver and the latest PhysX software 9.12.013
2) Run Hybridiz.exe patch as admin.
3) move the following files to a different folder
cudart.dll
cudart32_30_9.dll
cudart32_41_22.dll
PhysXCooking.dll
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll
PhysXLoader.dll
4) edit C:\Document and Settings\user\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini and add bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False to [SystemSettings] section

after that PhysX actually works and GPU load on nvidia card goes to ~18%.

yeah I did that. I saw your post in the other thread. BL2 is still crashing.

Once the GPU drivers are installed and you run Hybridiz.exe the ONLY file change you need to make in BL2 is to remove "PhysXDevice.dll"... That's it... That all I Did and it Worked Fine...

If you have the Steam version it's located in "Steam/SteamApps/Common/Borderlands2/Binaries/Win32"

I think my problem is that I did the 1.05ff mod and it didn't work (game crashing)
and then I tried the hybridiz mod and it's still crashing.

Oh well. I might have to reinstall Win7. I've got plenty of projects to do this weekend and the next month to keep me plenty busy.

My buddy is getting mad at me though for not playing with him. :(

I tried uninstalling the Physx software, reverified BL2 game files and it still crashes.
I think I might try deleting the registry entry for the 1.05ff mod to see if that does it.

This is so frustrating.

You can always run a driver sweeper and delete all nvidia and physx drivers and then reinstall them again.
At least that's what I did after trying 1.05ff patch.

Originally Posted by ashmelev75
cudart.dll
cudart32_30_9.dll
cudart32_41_22.dll
PhysXCooking.dll
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll
PhysXLoader.dll
4) edit C:\Document and Settings\user\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini and add bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False to [SystemSettings] section

Bought a PNY GT 630 today from Best Buy, on sale 25% off and followed the instructions above. Worked like a champ, running PhysX on high with my 6950 and the GT 630! :D

cudart.dll
cudart32_30_9.dll
cudart32_41_22.dll
PhysXCooking.dll
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll
PhysXLoader.dll

Bought a PNY GT 630 today from Best Buy, on sale 25% off and followed the instructions above. Worked like a champ, running PhysX on high with my 6950 and the GT 630! :D

I'm about to jump on this hybrid physx set up, and I plan on following the steps you have listed here.

Did you begin these steps with both cards installed? Or was there some card switching in the middle somewhere?

I'm about to jump on this hybrid physx set up, and I plan on following the steps you have listed here.

Did you begin these steps with both cards installed? Or was there some card switching in the middle somewhere?

I just followed those guidelines and it works great. You need to have both cards installed before you begin the process.

I put in my 8800GT 1gb for physx and I dont think it went above 30 or 50 for gpu load in BL2.
I will check again later.

EDIT: its a 512mb card, 82% was highest I got for gpu load.

Last edited:
I just got my gt 640 in to run with my7970 , and Windows won't boot with the card installed in the second slot. Anyone else have the problem?

I ran this patch, but I still can't get fluidmark to detect the nvidia card.

These are results I get :

in Borderlands 2 (caustic cavern, 60 seconds test with fraps) :

physx.png

(red is HD 7970 + CPU, blue is 7970 + GTX 650)

in fluidmark :

fluidmark.png

I ordered a gtx650ti last night that I plan on running with my 7970. It should arrive on Monday.
It will be my first time trying hybrid. Hope I don't flub something and bork my machine.
BL2 is the game I am currently playing.

Got a free ASUS 570 DirectCUII last night. Going to give this a whirl if I can get it and my 7950 to fit in my case. It's so freaking big! Does this work with Win 8 64 Pro?

I cant seem to get fluidmark to work.

Running HD7970 GHZ + GTX670 DCUII (will be switching out for a GTX260 when I sell the 670).

Physx seems to be working in BL2 (6-18% GPU usage) but during scenes with heave physx usage, FPS drops to 30 flat. Dunno if this is a 'feature' or an issue.

I'd really like to see what this thing can do in fluidmark though.

I installed things in this order.

nVidia Drivers, AMD drivers, Latest physx drivers, hybrid physx 1.05, hybridize, and then physx-hwselection-set-GPU.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Tried it last night and played the devil out of Borderlands 2. I love tinkering with weird things and this made my day. Thx guys!

my card should show up anytime. already made a restore point and downloaded all the files needed. *crossing fingers*

cudart.dll
cudart32_30_9.dll
cudart32_41_22.dll
PhysXCooking.dll
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll
PhysXLoader.dll

I followed these steps and physx is grayed out in the borderlands options -both in the first options window and in the options window after the game starts.
weird because before I could change it.

any ideas?
edit: meh, i just changed it in the ini

Last edited:
actually when i move all the dlls listed i get a physx error when starting the game

narrowed it to physxcore.dll < without that the game wont run

fedit:

fluidmark is not using the 650ti. also GPUZ doesn't show physx as available.

Last edited:
SUCCESS!

damnit, when people say to run as administrator I was thinking "ok my account is administrator".

realized.. right click.. run as administrator.

bammo!

edit:
tested in BL2 - caustic caverns. gpu never went over 28% utilization single player 1920x1080 everything maxed. FPS did occasionally dip to 45 with quite a bit going on. mostly stayed locked at 60 though.

fluidmark also runs well. got a 2696 score using the preset benchmark for 1920x1080. the 650ti was utilized a max of about 40% during fluid mark although the 7970 was at 100%

Last edited:
I'm having trouble using the hybridiz method.
cat. 12.11 drivers, nvidia 306.97, physx software 9.12.0613, and fluidmark 1.5

what order do I need to load drivers.
current the nvidia control panel crashes

with 8800 gts's going for dirt cheep i may pick one up and try this with my 6970 it seams like a good cheep performance gain

Just posting this as Info for others...
If you have an Ivy Bridge i7 for Example you can run Medium PhysX with NO Issues and High with Some FPS Issues... Now with My system I ran a Test...
i7 3770 (non-K) Stock Clock, HD7850 2GB, GT640 2GB...
I ran Fluid Mark on CPU, CPU MultiCore, GPU, GPU Multithreaded, GPU Async...
Here is what I got at 1080P with 3 Emitters and 60k Particles...
CPU = 6 MultiCore = 16 GPU = 37 GPU Threaded = 40 GPU Async = 208
In Game with Borderlands2 (1080P) the CPU NEVER went above 30% Usage... The GT640 would get to 42% at Max... The Game didn't drop below 40 FPS... That was with High PhysX in Larger Battles...

Back