Microsoft Adding Online Video to Word 2013 Documents

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft made the announcement about new features contained in Word 2013 earlier this summer. Word Blog has expanded the details of embedding online videos into your digital documents.

We added the ability to insert web video directly into your documents, allowing you to create rich, interactive output that pairs your words with video whenever appropriate.

Storage capacity has been increasing drastically, but the Office team at Microsoft haven't been able to bloat MS Word file sizes substantially in order to keep pace. This feature will allow people to create multi-gigabyte documents which will finally compensate for the past 15 or so years of technological advancement.

hmmm... so Microsoft is moving Word in a direction away from the actual printing of documents.

As I said earlier, I think this was a heavily requested feature from users. It's amazing to see people call Microsoft tone deaf with people don't think Microsoft is listening to users and even when they do listen to users Microsoft is still tone deaf.

So you might understand why Microsoft isn't too concerned when people call it tone deaf.

I would hate to download a manual only to be bombarded by advertisement videos or whatever. I hope there will be a feature to disable it should we encounter such idiotic documents.

I would hate to download a manual only to be bombarded by advertisement videos or whatever. I hope there will be a feature to disable it should we encounter such idiotic documents.

Well it is word, unless the document is protected you can simply remove the content you don't want. I have to admit, I've never much worried about advertising in Word documents. I doubt that this feature will turn it into an advertising platform.

Because. I think this has been a top request from Word users if I'm not mistaken and it kind of makes sense considering how online video has become a very important part in human expression and Word is tool for, well expression.

Word is for WORD PROCESSING. I don't want videos in my documents; you can't print videos, people will use them for advertisements and even worse than that, every moron with a keyboard and a mouse is going to start embedding "cool" videos into their documents.

I can also guarantee that this will pose security issue and that it will be exploited. It is as stupid as allowing Javascript inside PDFs.

Well it is word, unless the document is protected you can simply remove the content you don't want. I have to admit, I've never much worried about advertising in Word documents. I doubt that this feature will turn it into an advertising platform.

I dont think any of us envisioned MS would turn the Xbox into a huge ad-laden piece of crap either, but they did it anyways. Never underestimate MS's greed. They had 95% marketshare and still wanted more.

Except most aren't word documents they usually are pdf's anyways because pdf viewers everyone has, word or a word viewer isn't something everyone has although alot would.
Word is for WORD PROCESSING. I don't want videos in my documents; you can't print videos, people will use them for advertisements and even worse than that, every moron with a keyboard and a mouse is going to start embedding "cool" videos into their documents.
i'll just tell one of my friends to submit a paper to w.e class using it, linking to a video of him just reading his paper. That's about as much fun as i think you can have with that.
Storage capacity has been increasing drastically, but the Office team at Microsoft haven't been able to bloat MS Word file sizes substantially in order to keep pace. This feature will allow people to create multi-gigabyte documents which will finally compensate for the past 15 or so years of technological advancement.
except it seems to only allow online embedding, i suppose you could write embedding code for video and choose a pathway of a video on the computer but that's hardly universal. so file size wouldn't really change as only pictures and text is saved in the document.
Isn't that called PowerPoint?
^exactly
I can also guarantee that this will pose security issue and that it will be exploited. It is as stupid as allowing Javascript inside PDFs.
Probably but spreading a virus or infecting a computer though word files, what word file would people want to download alot? Also why bother when you could use pdf's to the same effect.

Although it can certainly be abused it is useful to have this feature sometimes ... if you were writing an operating procedure for a production process you could now include a video of the process in your document where you are describing your process procedure and steps ... besides this makes MS more competitive with more comprehensive desktop publishing tools like Adobe's InDesign (which does have this feature)

Personally I would like to destroy about half the engineers and managers copies of PowerPoint ... most users of PowerPoint are absolutely the worst presenters ever ... they cram as much text into a presentation as they can (rather than using something like Word) ... and I would love to cut the tongue out of the next person who reads me their slides ... if I wanted the audiobook version of their presentation I would have bought it :D

except it seems to only allow online embedding, i suppose you could write embedding code for video and choose a pathway of a video on the computer but that's hardly universal. so file size wouldn't really change as only pictures and text is saved in the document.

Oh really? Well there goes another perfectly valid, reasonable theory. 6.3 GB MS Word document, your day has not come yet and you must slumber longer before being unleashed upon the world. :(

Back