Looks like this Dell PowerNap software may be useful after all

What's up guys.

So I was browsing the installation disk of my Dell U2312HM and saw a folder called "powernap". After reading the manual I discovered that it's a tool to dim/sleep the display when the screensaver pops up. That seemed pretty useless, but I continued reading and saw this:

"The Enhanced Menu Rotation function allows for pivoting of the monitor screen from the Monitor On Screen Menu Control, selection of “Landscape” and “Portrait” will trigger the monitor screen accordingly."

What does this mean? If you have a compatible Dell monitor with pivot function, you can install this tool and when you use the "Menu Rotation" option on the OSD Menu of the monitor, it not only changes the orientation of the menu but also changes the display orientation automatically. Furthermore, you can go to the "Personalize" menu and set Shortcut Key 1 or 2 to "Menu Rotation" so you can rotate the display by pushing the button 2 times (one for the menu to show up and one to activate the shortcut).

This is way better than doing it manually on the nVidia control panel for example (specially the part where you have to confirm the change on a timer with the image rotated 90 degrees).

Be aware that this program is a little heavy on resources as it uses 5 processes (2 for Entech API and 3 for PowerNap) and also writes a lot of stuff on its log files constantly, but generally there should be no problems using it (I think you can disable logging by fiddling with the config files).

I hope someone finds this useful.

Edit: Download link in case you don't have the CD: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R302317

Cheers,
EOG

Last edited:
Back