Newegg Warning, learn from my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

[H]ard|Gawd
About 2 weeks ago, my credit card company contacted me that a possible fraudulent charge was made to one of my cards. After going over the details, I agreed (the charge was made on the other side of the country - USA) and terminated this credit card with the credit card company sending me a replacement. One day before this happened, I made around a 200$ purchase from Newegg with this card, subsequently I received two emails one saying payment was posted another saying payment was declined.

I shrugged, if the credit card transaction didn't go through they won't send me the item right? Two days later, I got a tracking email and received my item a day later. I thought the payment went through after all and didn't pay it any mind.

Two weeks later (yesterday), I tried to make another purchase and was notified my account was locked. After contacting them, they simply said my account was "not serviceable" and would not give any other information. There is no one to escalate my problem to, I had to do my own research by contacting my credit card company to find out that indeed, the Newegg charge did not go though.

Knowing this, I contacted Newegg again, explained what happened, and offered to pay for the item I'd already received, the response "your account is not serviceable" and there is no one else there who I could escalate this issue to or request an investigation from. So, until this issue is resolved (and no one at Newegg is trying to), I am not only not a Newegg customer, but I even have an item they won't accept payment for.

What to do what to do.

Anyways, the lesson is that Newegg's payment system is borked and to hand hold them if you guys ever need to replace one of your credit cards after a recent purchase.

Create a new account and ... ?

If you tried to do the right thing and they won't work with you, then their loss. Try one more time to get a personal warm and fuzzy; but if they still blow you off, then too bad for NE.

Personally don't use them anymore. I buy everything from Amazon; and will continue to do so even though I'll be taxed on those purchases in the near future. Point being, there are a lot of other companies out there deserving of your business. ;)

Yeah, sadly this is nothing new. Lots of people on various tech forums have spoken about this exact same situation.

I like the general response from any customer service person, "I'm sorry, we are unable to unlock your account." No, you mean you're unwilling to unlock my account...

Anyhoo, you should be able to make a new Newegg account with a different credit card number (which you will probably get since your original card has been flagged by your CC company), and be back along your merry way. I don't know if Newegg eventually blocked the billing address, but last I heard, it was just the online account created. Create new account with a different card, and you should be fine.

Thats super lame. My account has a LOT of history on it and it seems like sometimes they give me less hassle if I need to return something/deal with an issue due to it (although I am not sure). Can't believe that they wouldnt even take payment! That's ridiculous, stupid Newegg. Luckily I have not had a major issue like such as of yet.

I have been banned from buying on best buys web site for about 8 years now. I can buy from the store but i can not do a store pick up order from the net. They do not say why but i think it was because i had ordered a tv online and had it shipped to my house. They missed their first 8 hour window and after waiting around for their second failed 8 hour window delivery attempt on another day, i cancelled. This was right around the time their CEO was spouting that they were firing their customers that returned too much (some of you may remember this). This was the only thing i had cancelled or returned with them, so im thinking i was fired from them due to them sucking so much! Talking to them about why i could not order from them was similar to dealing with a police state organization, they think a little to highly of themselves.

So your exp with new egg is similar to mine, we use to like them at one point so much (maybe not so much with BB), and have stuck it out with them but now they are both not giving people enough of a reason to keep using them.

At this point, I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt because it's a rare coincidence... but it's their system at fault here. Don't ship stuff out before you're paid, and definitely don't ship stuff out when you send the customer a payment declined email lol

NewEgg isn't what it used to be, unfortunately. I've got through the customer service ringer one too many times to really want to continue doing business with them. Documented problems like yours, illegal RMA denial practices, shipping used items when you order new, and crap component packaging that kill hard drives (which are subsequently denied RMA because "you" damaged it).

You're fortunate that you aren't getting your account burned because NewEgg lost a chargeback from a deal gone bad. It at least looks like you will end up ahead rather than out any money.

NewEgg isn't what it used to be, unfortunately. I've got through the customer service ringer one too many times to really want to continue doing business with them. Documented problems like yours, illegal RMA denial practices, shipping used items when you order new, and crap component packaging that kill hard drives (which are subsequently denied RMA because "you" damaged it).

You're fortunate that you aren't getting your account burned because NewEgg lost a chargeback from a deal gone bad. It at least looks like you will end up ahead rather than out any money.

Yep, I finally have had a major issue with newegg as well, after shopping with them since 2001 on the same account and spending a significant amount of money with them. Yet, over a difference that would be minimal to them and I am clearly in the right on, they wouldn't budge and gave absurd excuses as to why, *and* I had to pay return shipping on the items to get refunded despite their wrongly-advertised promotion they refused to honor. I'm shifting all of my business over to amazon from now on, which I already had Prime membership to but had given newegg the nod on many purchases due to having been treated well enough in the past.

Newegg has gone from "worth the premium for good customer service" to one of those "it's ok if there's a super deal, but if there's a problem... yeah, never mind, it's not OK, I'd rather spend a few bucks more to be sure if something goes wrong I'm covered elsewhere" vendors for me.

i started buying from newegg since about 2001. i only buy there nowadays if there is a really, really too good to pass up deal. which is quite rare these days. newegg used to be the 'go to' place for computer parts. wonder what happened

i started buying from newegg since about 2001. i only buy there nowadays if there is a really, really too good to pass up deal. which is quite rare these days. newegg used to be the 'go to' place for computer parts. wonder what happened

same with me, but i mostly buy if i really really need it and has good deal, other than that i just wait for it. haven't bought anything from there for over 2 year, last i bought 8GB flash drive when it was $5 with rebate and stuff.

@ Nightbird, I hope newegg does not "Knock" your credit report over this

@ Nightbird, I hope newegg does not "Knock" your credit report over this

Well, if they did I'll just dispute. I have my credit company on my side for this one, it's Newegg's payment system that is at fault.

I also have emails showing I offered to pay and they're refusing after all.

I had this problem as well with newegg. It was around Xmas time and my GF wanted to get me a 100.00 gift card. So she went on to newegg put in everything hit sumbit and bam. Decliced so she decided to try 2 more times (Dont ask my why she did) but both times declined.

I ended up getting $300.00 worth of gift cards about an hour later in an email for $300.00. Yes even tho it was declined it still got the cards & she still got charged. Instead of 1 card @ 100.00 we got 3 cards at $300.00

Newegg would not do a refund on the cards so I had to pay her back $200.00 and got stuck with $300.00 cards rather then 100.00. Lesson learned on both parts newegg CS has gone downhill and dont retry anything on newegg.

Only one bad CS experience from Newegg myself but I haven't been ordering a lot recently. The one I had worked in my favor but by mistake not Newegg fixing the problem.

After my little incident and what I've been seeing in multiple threads.... I will not be buying any major purchases from Newegg anytime soon.... probably never unless things change on their end. I do not trust them at all anymore. I did buy some solar powered garden lights and a DVD burner recently. That's about as much as I'd be willing to trust Newegg with as far as money and potential loss goes now.

Newegg is good for getting info on products however and then buying on Amazon. I'm with everyone else who's gone this way Newegg is not the place to buy from anymore.

Here's what you do with any screwup when you aren't getting anywhere. NewEgg is a company. You write a polite, personally addressed, letter to the NA CEO, Bob Bellack, or the Chairman explaining the situation. You politely point out this flaw in their system. You mention that you've been a customer for many years, and could he please get this fixed for you. You'll probably find the situation fixed by return of post.

Here's what you do with any screwup when you aren't getting anywhere. NewEgg is a company. You write a polite, personally addressed, letter to the NA CEO, Bob Bellack, or the Chairman explaining the situation. You politely point out this flaw in their system. You mention that you've been a customer for many years, and could he please get this fixed for you. You'll probably find the situation fixed by return of post.

Hey, great idea. I'll try this if I don't get a response from the admins on newegg's forum by say... Tuesday.

Damn that's retarded lol. Newegg was a damn nice place to shop back then.

I once bought a pair of rosewill head phones $12.99 at the time. When I got them, they worked right out of the box but one day while my little sister was using them, she lost one of the rubber pieces that stuck onto the left headphone so it was pretty uncomfortable without them on there.

I politely asked newegg if they could send me some more rubber pieces at a small fee I was willing to pay. She said no, we will send a replacement. I also told her i'll return the ones I have the next day and she told me to keep them. At that time I was just like wtf? Seriously?

Second pair got here, two days later the wire to the right headphone came out and was no longer connected.

Back to newegg customer service. I told them I no longer wanted these and would much rather send both the ones I had back and simply receive a partial refund since they were nice enough to send me a second pair for free! The lady said "We can give it another try and send you another pair?" .. It seems to me she didn't want me upset or wanted me un-happy, as if she was trying to avoid me sending them back. I went ahead with the third pair and they actually lasted me 2-3 years before they gave out.

NewEgg was a great place to shop, my history goes back to 03'.

Damn that's retarded lol. Newegg was a damn nice place to shop back then.

I once bought a pair of rosewill head phones $12.99 at the time. When I got them, they worked right out of the box but one day while my little sister was using them, she lost one of the rubber pieces that stuck onto the left headphone so it was pretty uncomfortable without them on there.

I politely asked newegg if they could send me some more rubber pieces at a small fee I was willing to pay. She said no, we will send a replacement. I also told her i'll return the ones I have the next day and she told me to keep them. At that time I was just like wtf? Seriously?

Second pair got here, two days later the wire to the right headphone came out and was no longer connected.

Back to newegg customer service. I told them I no longer wanted these and would much rather send both the ones I had back and simply receive a partial refund since they were nice enough to send me a second pair for free! The lady said "We can give it another try and send you another pair?" .. It seems to me she didn't want me upset or wanted me un-happy, as if she was trying to avoid me sending them back. I went ahead with the third pair and they actually lasted me 2-3 years before they gave out.

NewEgg was a great place to shop, my history goes back to 03'.

I think I started buying from them in 2001. What you've said sounds like the Newegg I loved and trusted and was will to pay more for because of their CS.

Now it looks to be the opposite. Horrible CS...... sometimes good prices but not overall. And from what I've seen straight out fraud with RMA's. I don't think I'll ever consider making a major purchase from Newegg again.

I'll buy small things like solar lights and DVD burners...... but when it comes to something that costs a bit...... not a chance with Newegg unless the price is super cheap and I can RMA to the manufacture if needed.

Create a new account and ... ?

Personally don't use them anymore. I buy everything from Amazon; and will continue to do so even though I'll be taxed on those purchases in the near future. Point being, there are a lot of other companies out there deserving of your business. ;)

I see this response quite often and i have never seen amazon's computer components look remotely competitive. Everytime i look for a motherboard, cpu, video card, case its like best buy prices... $200 for a 6870 ? $279 for a 6950 ?? maybe at launch, but you would think it would be cheaper now. Then every time i do a search for something specific like say a 5870 video card it brings back results of 5770, 6850s and crap i dont want to see.

Hell even the used stuff isnt a good price. Books and movies though, i am all over amazon.

edit: I suppose today its going to make a liar out of me, newegg is only cheaper after rebate.

I just bought almsot a grand worth of stuff from newegg ( a couple of computers worth of parts)

the only thing I bought from Amazon the CPU because it was the only thing cheaper than newegg

Just made a small order at the Egg (Asus Xonar DG). Will let you know how things go.

I just bought almsot a grand worth of stuff from newegg ( a couple of computers worth of parts)

the only thing I bought from Amazon the CPU because it was the only thing cheaper than newegg

Just don't hope you have any problems with motherboards and have to RMA. You'll get them back with smashed pins that were "your fault".

To the guy that was saying Amazons prices aren't good.... well I've found that browsing for something on Amazon is a waste of time. I'll find what I want on Newegg.... check out some reviews.... then search for the model number on Amazon and buy it. Amazon is often cheaper and I have my own methods of getting some really nice discounts buying from Amazon so even at the same price I get it cheaper at Amazon.

With what I've been seeing about Newegg recently..... I wouldn't dare make a major purchase from them anyway even if I had to pay more to buy from a trust worthy company......the exact reason I used to buy from Newegg sadly :(.

They have been okay for me. I meant to order an EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition and somehow ended up ordering a vanilla GTX 670. They let me return it with no restocking fee and even paid postage back. Also, some fans I was going to use to WC the card I refused delivery on and they didn't hassle me. I don't know if I could have asked them to do much more. I am using them more often because Amazon charges me tax now.

I think the problem is that they used to be very consistent in having great customer service but now it's all over the place. Maybe they grew too fast?

Personally I don't really hesitate to order from them because I am yet to have a bad experience. Recently I asked for a price match on something that dropped in price before I had even received the package and they offered the standard 90-day gift card. I said that I didn't want to feel pressured into buying something and they offered to just put it back on my card. Pretty painless really.

I've been using Newegg for years. My brother and I have been sharing the same account since 2001. Just added up all our orders since we opened the account.. came to just below 26k.

This has been for our personal stuff as well as builds/upgrades for customers/family/friends.

Never have really had an issue with them as far as RMA or weird billing issues.

I had a similar thing happen a year or two ago. I made an order on Newegg and the charge was rejected by my debit card. Egg claimed my card info was compromised and was used for an order by another person...they couldn't tell me due to confidentiality what the order was for or how much...strangely that flagged order was within minutes of the legit order I submitted. I had my suspicions, but they said to take it up with the card company...they also permanently banned my card number from their system as a "precaution", so I couldn't complete my order.

I called my credit union, and they said NewEgg is one of the top merchants used in credit card fraud...they didn't think my card was compromised, but were fine with replacing my card and numbers if I asked.

I got a response from Freddy from Newegg's forum, I am hopeful now that this can be resolved. I was asked to provide as much info as I could, which I did.

Well my Asus Xonar order came in fine. So if there are problems with the Egg, I have been fortunate to not see them so far.

Newegg hasn't been so hot on my vendor list the past year and half, I dunno just not what it once was. Good luck.

Just ordered $730 worth of parts from them on Thursday and got them Friday free shipping. I did have payment problems. Bill Me Later rejected it and then my Discover's fraud prevention kicked in. It was definitely annoying and a sign something is screwed up somewhere.

i stopped using newegg as often when i realized that the majority of the items i was looking at were available on amazon for less than the cost of the item + shipping cost from newegg. my prime membership has more than paid for itself every year i've had it.

i've also never had issues returning faulty/problematic stuff to amazon for exchange or refund. i can't say the same for newegg. i stopped buying platter disks from any online vendor for a long time because of all the disks that arrived doa from newegg, and resultant hassles of trying to RMA newly received disks, shipping them back on my dime, etc.

I love Newegg. I have bought thousands of $$ worth of parts from Newegg over the last 3-4 years, and I have had zero issues.

I don't buy processors from Newegg, but I buy most everything else from them. I typically build mid-range gaming rigs or office machines, so for cheap (but good) mobos, ram, GPUs, cases, DVD burners, SSDs, etc., it is hard to beat Newegg's deals. I buy almost everything on sale (I get the email specials, and I scroll through looking for the really good deals)... I wait for good prices, and then I buy and store the parts until someone wants a PC. Newegg is great if you build PCs throughout the year and can wait for the deals. Maybe not if you want to buy all the parts for your rig at one time. But for how I buy, Newegg saves me a ton of money.

Newegg's rebate center and history is really helpful too. And I always get the rebates.

Sounds like I am the exception, but Newegg has been good to me.

I've had similar issues with the Newegg preferred card.

They locked my account AFTER shipping to a different address than my billing address... THEN... Won't let me do ANYTHING to re-activate it.

Seems stupid to lock the account AFTER shipping a 5500 dollar order... But whatever makes them happy.

I've got an e-mail from Newegg that I made changes to my shipping address. I did not. I sent them an e-mail and they asked me to call them??? WTF. I do not have time for that. One way or another I ceased buying from them. I live next to Microcenter and get the rest from ebay and Amazon.

I'm still a Newegg fan, however let it go on record that I also think that their customer service is very lacking. Every time I've contacted them it's like talking to an automated system. All the people ever do is regurgitate canned responses. So the lack of any sort of human to human communication skills makes them a PITA to deal with if something goes wrong.

I've got an e-mail from Newegg that I made changes to my shipping address. I did not. I sent them an e-mail and they asked me to call them??? WTF. I do not have time for that. One way or another I ceased buying from them. I live next to Microcenter and get the rest from ebay and Amazon.

There have been plenty of phishing emails going around trying to screw NewEgg customers. Maybe that was one of them. In any event, yeah, NewEgg CS is a pain in the butt to deal with now.

Thanks for reminding me -- I need to close my NewEgg Preferred Account. Don't use it anymore since I don't order big ticket items from them anymore.

Have you tried calling customer service vs emailing? If I ever have issues with an order I don't even bother with email, I always call and have always got the resolution I wanted.

If you tried to do the right thing and they won't work with you, then their loss.
And usually too bad for you. If its flagged in their system as not paid for, eventually it goes to collections, and then you have to deal with that hit to your credit record or spend hours on the phone w/ the credit agencies trying to get it worked out.

I got through to my credit card company's fraud department today and they are contacting Newegg directly, I am now waiting for them to contact me back (they called Newegg and the wait was 1hr so I told them to try again at a less busy time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back