Web Sites Accused of Collecting Data on Children

HardOCP News

[H] News
What kind of perverts would circumvent the law to collect data on children under 13 years of age? Would you believe McDonald's, Nickelodeon, Subway, Trix and the Cartoon Network? :eek:

“It really shows that companies are doing an end run around a law put in place to protect children’s privacy,” said Laura Moy, a lawyer for the Center for Digital Democracy, a nonprofit group in Washington that led the complaints. “Under the law, they can’t just collect e-mail addresses from kids and send them marketing material directly. So they are embedding messages saying, ‘Play this game and share it with your friends,’ in order to target the friends.”

yanno what, who cares. Oooh they're under 13! Yeah their parents are basically giving permission by allowing free reign on the internet.

They're not really "collecting" the email addresses if they're not getting stored, and the law provides an exception for one-time emails.

Not that I like McDonald's, but to me this just looks like a bunch of people trying to create some fear at the expense of a few big companies.

There are just some things these cretens shouldn't be allowed to collect. More worrisome than them collecting info is, depending on what they collect is who will they share it with? Ad agencies, etc. are less of an issue than if gov't agencies start wanting it. "You're child spends too much time playing this/watching that, you're a bad parent and don't deserve kids, now say goodbye to them (then again, far too many parents these days don't deserve their kids). I've had to deal with gov't agencies that claim to protect children and have found them to be among the most criminal people on this planet. Not that we have to worry about the gov't wanting to run our lives right?

Ok, maybe a little OT on the rant there.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

Kids under 13 have email now?

I had an ISP (Covad...not sure if that company exists/does residential anymore) email address by 2000 (I'd be ~8yo by then). My dad has always been big on computers and I loved using them... look at me now :cool:

I don't see the big problem with kids on websites etc. Let em do what they want, how else are they going to learn? I signed up for an account on nick.com during those early 2000 days... used the hell out of that site. With the computers and internet of today... it's even easier.

I even made a free webpage that I maintained up until 2004. Still exists! Thanks Tripod! http://zim.tripod.com/ (Yeah I was an Invader Zim fan...) :rolleyes:

even if I where from cartoon network, id by confused how my "play this game and share it with your friends" would violate anything, e-mail addresses? right... my 13 year old has all the correct information in it. If I were parent I couldn't imagine taking this seriously..

Back