Samsung vs. Apple Closing Arguments

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung wrapped up its case against Apple by claiming the company stifles competition and by taking apart the testimony of Apple's expert witnesses. Interesting stuff if you've been following the trial.

"Your decision, if you go Apple's way, could change the way competition works in this country," Samsung attorney Charles Verhoeven told jurors after pointing to the large collection of press in the back of the courtroom who were there to see closing arguments from both sides in the Apple v. Samsung patent trial. "Rather than competing in the marketplace, Apple is seeking a competitive edge in the courtroom," he said.

As much credit as Apple wants for this, they didn't create nothing first, and did nothing innovative. They did make a nice looking UI, and it works smoothly, but nothing else. I'm actually surprised that Microsoft hasn't jumped in this whole lawsuit thing. Cause I know I was using Windows Mobile Phones LONG before the iPhone ever existed. The only thing Apple did was remove the SD card slot, qwerty keyboard, and the need for a stylus.

As for their tablets, well we call them tablets for a reason. There were devices before Apples iPad that were thin computing devices. Otherwise we'd call Android tablets, Android iPad knock offs.

And who had a hand in early tablet development? Microsoft, who else? So the iPad is not a revolution, but an evolution of the tablet. Which is just really a giant size iPhone anyway, without the phone features.
AppleOrMicro.jpg

As much credit as Apple wants for this, they didn't create nothing first, and did nothing innovative. They did make a nice looking UI, and it works smoothly, but nothing else. I'm actually surprised that Microsoft hasn't jumped in this whole lawsuit thing. Cause I know I was using Windows Mobile Phones LONG before the iPhone ever existed. The only thing Apple did was remove the SD card slot, qwerty keyboard, and the need for a stylus.

As for their tablets, well we call them tablets for a reason. There were devices before Apples iPad that were thin computing devices. Otherwise we'd call Android tablets, Android iPad knock offs.

And who had a hand in early tablet development? Microsoft, who else? So the iPad is not a revolution, but an evolution of the tablet. Which is just really a giant size iPhone anyway, without the phone features.
AppleOrMicro.jpg

They arent suing for tablets. They are suing for tablets that look exactly like theres. The picture you show shows a very different looking tablet.

Not saying their right, but Microsofts ability to sue Apple here isnt at all the same basis apple is using.

Every time i read comments about this case from apple fans, i lose faith in humanity.
How can people follow so blindly .... guess that's how the 2 first world wars started.

Every time i read comments about this case from apple fans, i lose faith in humanity.
How can people follow so blindly .... guess that's how the 2 first world wars started.

Say specifically what the issue is. Very specifically. Otherwise your just throwing out air.

FFS. I just want this stupid patent BS to end.

The iPhone inspired change in the industry, but Samsungs phones are not knockoffs.

Samsung should have shown up to court with a handful of fake iPhones and photos of fake Apple stores while wearing fake Gucci sunglasses, carrying fake D&G handbags, with lawyers dressed in fake Armani suits all bought at shopping malls in America.

Then said "This is what knockoff products and real copying looks like. If you are claiming we are the same as these guys, you are on crack." while they slid a fake iPhone over to Apple and the judge.

They arent suing for tablets. They are suing for tablets that look exactly like theres. The picture you show shows a very different looking tablet.

Not saying their right, but Microsofts ability to sue Apple here isnt at all the same basis apple is using.

It's hard to argue that your product doesn't look like what Apple has. Apple's products are very simplistic. A power button, a single button, and a screen. That makes it very difficult to distinguish between an Apple product and something else. The Microsoft tablet in the picture is nearly 8 years old, and is clearly different looking.

What Apple says is that they made a Window. It opens and closes and it's an amazing window. Then someone else comes along and makes a similar looking window, but Apple feels they copied them. Copying their double pane technology and everything. What I'm saying is that Microsoft was making Windows for years, but they were bulkier and not nearly as good. They obviously don't look like what Apple has now, but that's because what Microsoft made was ancient then, and people didn't care for then. Apple doesn't have any unique feature that ties a window as their design.

That's why I think tablets won't be successful even today, cause we didn't care for them then, so why now?

http://micgadget.com/12958/the-best-iphone-4-knockoff-yet/

This is a legitimate iPhone knockoff. Samsung's phones don't look nearly as copied.
That is a bad ass copy. I love how they have the android logo in the back, as if they don't care. Yea it looks like an iPhone, but it's an Android baby!

It's not that much of a knock off if they improved on the iPhone design by using full size SIM cards and having Android installed. Hell, I'd buy it if it was cheap enough and had enough memory.

It's hard to argue that your product doesn't look like what Apple has. Apple's products are very simplistic. A power button, a single button, and a screen. That makes it very difficult to distinguish between an Apple product and something else. The Microsoft tablet in the picture is nearly 8 years old, and is clearly different looking.

What Apple says is that they made a Window. It opens and closes and it's an amazing window. Then someone else comes along and makes a similar looking window, but Apple feels they copied them. Copying their double pane technology and everything. What I'm saying is that Microsoft was making Windows for years, but they were bulkier and not nearly as good. They obviously don't look like what Apple has now, but that's because what Microsoft made was ancient then, and people didn't care for then. Apple doesn't have any unique feature that ties a window as their design.

That's why I think tablets won't be successful even today, cause we didn't care for them then, so why now?

Might want to open your eyes up a little wider because tablets are quite very successful.

I really hope this works out in Samsung's favour, I went from an iPhone to a Galaxy SII because it was different, I wasn't confused (it says Samsung all over it, doesn't even feel like an iPhone, lighter, and thinner), nor was I mislead (I knew what I wanted before I went to the store), nor do I want a company telling me what I should and shouldn't buy in a market of choice...basicaly f#@k Apple, I will never go back unless they make something truly ground breaking, completely different from the previous models, and more damn freedom without having to go through the nightmare of rooting and jail breaking.

Might want to open your eyes up a little wider because tablets are quite very successful.

Popular for people watching TV all day to play Angry Birds during commercials. Dumbest thing to buy of all time for 90% of people. Does it have it's uses for CERTAIN people? Sure. I'm sure it's great for salesmen to show things on a nice big screen for clients/customers in addition to others. But for your average person? You're a moron if you buy an iPad.

So why isn't Nike suing Adidas or something?

HOLY SHIT IT'S AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING THAT GOES ON YOUR FEET, WE MADE THAT FIRST, WHO CARES IF YOURS FITS BETTER, WE MADE IT FIRST SO YOU CANT MAKE IT

So why isn't Nike suing Adidas or something?

HOLY SHIT IT'S AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING THAT GOES ON YOUR FEET, WE MADE THAT FIRST, WHO CARES IF YOURS FITS BETTER, WE MADE IT FIRST SO YOU CANT MAKE IT

because Nike isn't a patent troll yet, I prefer Reebok's anyway, they seem to breath better, and don't make stupid squeak noises every step.

because Nike isn't a patent troll yet, I prefer Reebok's anyway, they seem to breath better, and don't make stupid squeak noises every step.

I would suspect that they are more like the semiconductor manufacturers where they do cross licensing agreements all the time rather than sue each other ... Each of the running shoe manufacturers also has their own proprietary tech that they would patent ... if you don't think so then try making a running shoe with Gel and see what Asics does to you or Air and see what Nike does to you

The phone and tablet business just seems more pissy than normal corporate dealings ... I think Apple is also making it harder by not licensing ... every one of the Android manufacturers except Moto has settled with Microsoft and is paying MS licensing fees for Android (MS was actually making more money off of Android than Windows Phone for awhile) ... I suspect Moto will bite the bullet and get their license from MS one of these days

My favorite shoes are Mizuno and Asics also :)

Popular for people watching TV all day to play Angry Birds during commercials. Dumbest thing to buy of all time for 90% of people. Does it have it's uses for CERTAIN people? Sure. I'm sure it's great for salesmen to show things on a nice big screen for clients/customers in addition to others. But for your average person? You're a moron if you buy an iPad.
The basement-fu is strong with this one.

Show me someone who has sold anywhere near as well as the iPad? The tablet is just an iPad thing, and applies to nothing else.

So I guess I'm a moron. Who are you to tell me what I can do and cannot do with a tablet? You're a moron because you build badass computers with thousands of dollars worth parts just so you can play BF3 for a couple minutes. See where I'm going? To each their own. As a matter of fact I do not have games installed on my tablet. And my tablet is a Kindle Fire, not an iPad. Oh I guess I'm not a moron now because it's not an Apple product.

Take the name calling and shove it.

Show me someone who has sold anywhere near as well as the iPad? The tablet is just an iPad thing, and applies to nothing else.

I'm not sure why you're excluding iPads. Like it or not, it's a tablet.

So I guess I'm a moron. Who are you to tell me what I can do and cannot do with a tablet? You're a moron because you build badass computers with thousands of dollars worth parts just so you can play BF3 for a couple minutes. See where I'm going? To each their own. As a matter of fact I do not have games installed on my tablet. And my tablet is a Kindle Fire, not an iPad. Oh I guess I'm not a moron now because it's not an Apple product.

Take the name calling and shove it.
Most computers can at least be used for multiple purposes. I doubt anyone here uses a PC purely for gaming. Thousands is a bit of a stretch, but that's like buying the best iPad out there, in terms of price. The Kindle Fire is equivalent to buying a $500 PC. Except the PC would still have 100x more uses.

To each their own, but the tablet is just for web surfing and Angry Birds. Windows 8 would like to change that, but I doubt it. Equivalently a laptop is nearly the same price or lower then most tablets on the market. You would still be able to do more then any tablet. For example, something that's been around for a couple of decades, and it's called PRINTING!

Explain all the wannabes and Windows 8.
Cause you fail to see that companies are not interested in manufacturing, as much as creating their own ecosystem. For example, the Kindle Fire doesn't use the Android app store, but the Amazon app store. HP had Web OS, and Microsoft will soon have their own app store.

One of the few unfortunate unique creations from the iPhone was the app store. It's the driving force for many companies to jump onto the tablet business. To be able to take 30% of sales of anything sold is a big money maker. Companies know that people already associate the app store to a tablet, like how people associate a stereo to a car. You just expect that to be there.

Why you think Microsoft is pushing so hard for the Windows 8 UI? Cause it's better and easier to use? :rolleyes: They want you in their app store buying crap.

The Kindle Fire is equivalent to buying a $500 PC. Except the PC would still have 100x more uses.
Huh?
To each their own, but the tablet is just for web surfing and Angry Birds.

For example, something that's been around for a couple of decades, and it's called PRINTING!
Printing is supported on iOS devices, iPad included?
Cause you fail to see
I laughed.
One of the few unfortunate unique creations from the iPhone was the app store.
What's unfortunate about it?
Why you think Microsoft is pushing so hard for the Windows 8 UI? Cause it's better and easier to use? :rolleyes: They want you in their app store buying crap.
They could pull off an app store with or without the Windows 8 UI.

Fix
For example, something that's been around for a couple of decades, and it's called PRINTING!
Printing is supported on iOS devices, iPad included?

Back