The Most Hated Company in Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone hates patent trolls but are these guys really the most hated company in the tech? I'll bet you have a few companies you'd nominate over these sleazeballs.

Suffice to say, Intellectual Ventures is, in the minds of many, the world's biggest patent troll, waiting to demand a fee for what you were sure was an original idea. Is it the most hated company in tech? Well, you'd be hard pressed to find another outfit that causes quite as much outrage in Silicon Valley.

Pfft...in this order - Adobe, Google, Acer, Oracle, EA, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Pizza Hut, Brother, and Valve.

Pfft...in this order - Adobe, Google, Acer, Oracle, EA, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Pizza Hut, Brother, and Valve.

Pizza Hut is a company in tech?

There are a few companies on your list I admire..

For me the most hated in tech are as follows:

Apple >> Oracle > AT&T Wireless > Comcast > Verizon Wireless > EA > Intel > Probably something I've forgotten...

Yes, GOOGLE is one of the most hated companies in tech, because they aren't used by almost everyone on the internet, they dont produce the most sold OS on the phone (at times), or provide countless free alternative services to everyone, everywhere.

Get your head on straight boy.

i4i and RIM were pretty bad in their days too. RIM sat on their Blackberry patent until Motorola actually built one and then RIM sued the rights away from Motorola along with millions. i4i similarly sat on uh.. what was it? embedding XML into Office documents patents? I forget that one.

What they are doing should be illegal.

Patents are designed to protect and inventor and allow them to market their product and get a return on investment for their invention.

There should be a requirement that any patent be actively used by the patent holder, and that any patent which is not actively used by the patent holder in a product of their own is automatically forfeited.

I can see licensing a patent to others if you are also actively using the technology described by that patent in your own products, but holding a patent strictly for licensing/trolling out to be illegal.

The patent office woud have to hire competent people who don't take "gifts"

Zarathustra[H];1039062250 said:
Pizza Hut is a company in tech?

Pizza Hut is more like an enabler corporation. By selling pizza to nerds, they fuel the bad ideas and lame programs that companies like Adobe and Apple create.

Yes, GOOGLE is one of the most hated companies in tech, because they aren't used by almost everyone on the internet, they dont produce the most sold OS on the phone (at times), or provide countless free alternative services to everyone, everywhere.

That's like saying the popular kid is loved because she's popular and rich. Just because we all put up with Google doesn't mean we like Google. I mean really, have you seen the color of nail polish on Google's toes today? You can't miss it under those ugly sandals!

Pizza Hut is more like an enabler corporation. By selling pizza to nerds, they fuel the bad ideas and lame programs that companies like Adobe and Apple create.

That's like saying the popular kid is loved because she's popular and rich. Just because we all put up with Google doesn't mean we like Google. I mean really, have you seen the color of nail polish on Google's toes today? You can't miss it under those ugly sandals!

Yeech, this nerd isn't touching Pizza Hut's pathetic excuse they call pizza. Give me Villa Nova's pizza any day.

Probably:

Google > Nvidia > Facebook > AMD > Oracle

Would be my top five in most hated to least hated order.

For sure that wins, but of large companies with a reasonable amount of mindshare:

EA > Apple > AOL > Google > Microsoft

People kind of missed the point of the article ... it was more focused on companies that other companies hate ... with over 40,000 patents in their arsenal IV is definitely the 500 pound gorilla of patent trolls ... I can see why they would be hated ... and rightfully so

as to all the consumer lists ... why hate Intel ... their tick tock strategy is pretty beneficial to the consumer right now and what are your alternatives to them ... ARM ... AMD ... different strokes for different folks :)

Hate is an emotion. Why does it have to be based in something rational? I can hate pancakes and door knobs all I want and no one can do anything about it! RAWR!

Hate is an emotion. Why does it have to be based in something rational? I can hate pancakes and door knobs all I want and no one can do anything about it! RAWR!

Hating doors knobs I understand on both the intellectual and emotional level (since they like to hit you in the most painful locations) ... but hating pancakes ... you truly are evil SkribbelKat ... NO SOUP FOR YOU :D

Intellectual Vultures is as sleazy as they come.

They buy up patents (usually from bankrupt companies) and then sue people who inadvertently stumble on to them. They produce nothing and contribute nothing to society, certainly nothing to justify violating people's rights by giving them patent protection (I have yet to see tangible evidence of the benefit of a patent system).

They are terrorists that go around using state-backed coercion to steal money from people. Most of their patents are bullshit but it costs more to fight than it does to simply settle so most people end up giving into their demands; very much like Somalian pirates.

Hating doors knobs I understand on both the intellectual and emotional level (since they like to hit you in the most painful locations) ... but hating pancakes ... you truly are evil SkribbelKat ... NO SOUP FOR YOU :D

No soups?! Nooooo! It was just an example! >.< I luffs pancakes! :(

No soups?! Nooooo! It was just an example! >.< I luffs pancakes! :(

just rattling your cage a little :) ... I just find it amusing the companies people seem to target ... especially when most people just hate the top company ... you don't even have to invest the emotion at that point ... you just hate the biggest or the most profitable ... if Intel actually did murder your favorite pet though then I will understand ;) ... because I hate when large multinational companies do that :D

just rattling your cage a little :) ... I just find it amusing the companies people seem to target ... especially when most people just hate the top company ... you don't even have to invest the emotion at that point ... you just hate the biggest or the most profitable ... if Intel actually did murder your favorite pet though then I will understand ;) ... because I hate when large multinational companies do that :D

Well I made up this fictional situation in which Adobe got together with Bissell and General Mills to steal my dryer lint and pet rock collection, then put it in my blog so I have every right to hate Pizza Hut for it!

And stop shaking my cage. The door isn't latched very well and I don't want you people being coming inside when I'm sleeping to steal my alfalfa pellets.

Well I made up this fictional situation in which Adobe got together with Bissell and General Mills to steal my dryer lint and pet rock collection, then put it in my blog so I have every right to hate Pizza Hut for it!

And stop shaking my cage. The door isn't latched very well and I don't want you people being coming inside when I'm sleeping to steal my alfalfa pellets.

Wow ... it you throw a Microsoft app sold through Apple iTunes that you discovered with a Google search into that situation you might create a super massive black hole that destroys the universe (and I really hate when that happens :D ) ... it could be more dangerous than tying buttered toast to a cat and dropping both off the roof (I heard that creates a wormhole or a hovercat ... depending on whether you do it on a day that ends in "y") :cool:

You should give Villa Nova a new website, I'm sure they'll pay you in pizza. :D

Trust me, their pizza is so good you'll forgive them even a GeoCities or Angelfire templated website.

Read that article, sounds like a troll to me. I don't really understand how tech patents work, but it seems like I can sit back, dream up an idea of putting miniature telescope parts into a camera lens and patent it. Now I do not have the knowledge or ability to even begin to make those parts works and solve any problems associates with it. All I have to do is wait for a real company to do all the work, fix the problems, bring a product to the market, then sue them.

Or maybe I could of years ago thought to myself "wouldn't it be nice if I could just drag my finger across my cell phone's screen to unlock it" and get a patent. I'm not software developer and do not manufacture any electronics, but I'd be able to sit back and wait for the iPhone then sue apple for it. Then I'd get to claim I was an inventor.

Read that article, sounds like a troll to me. I don't really understand how tech patents work, but it seems like I can sit back, dream up an idea of putting miniature telescope parts into a camera lens and patent it. Now I do not have the knowledge or ability to even begin to make those parts works and solve any problems associates with it. All I have to do is wait for a real company to do all the work, fix the problems, bring a product to the market, then sue them.

Or maybe I could of years ago thought to myself "wouldn't it be nice if I could just drag my finger across my cell phone's screen to unlock it" and get a patent. I'm not software developer and do not manufacture any electronics, but I'd be able to sit back and wait for the iPhone then sue apple for it. Then I'd get to claim I was an inventor.

Basically Intellectual Vultures works like this :

1.Buy up a bunch of patents from bankrupt companies.
2.Assign the acquired patents to various shell companies so that no one can figure out which patents Intellectual Vultures owns.
3.Wait for someone to infringe and send them a nastygram demanding licensing fees or else.
4.They are not allowed to know what patents they have "infringed" until they either pay a licensing fee or take it to court so there is no opportunity to correct their product so that it is non-infringing.
5.Profit.

They are parasites, nothing more.

I think you forgot Real Networks :D

They still exist? :p

100172045_e2f8df0b1b.jpg

How the fuck does anybody hate google?

Are you guys stupid?
Google has shown very little respect for privacy, and basically want to acquire any and all information and monetize it for personal profit. That is why they banned all Google+ accounts that were under aliases and not real names, and lately tried to force people to use their real names on Youtube as well. Speaking of that, Youtube has also gone so downhill since Google took them over and SPAMed it full of banners and redid the entire interface to turn it into corporate-tube instead of you(thepeople)tube, and Google's dispute system and autocensorship is broken beyond belief. Shoot a video of your kid with the radio playing softly in the background for even just a portion of a song, and your video at minimum gets a SPAM banner after a while and more often lately gets deleted despite clearly being "fair-use".

Kinda upset so many of you hate on EA but not also ActiBlizz. They are equally corrupt and evil companies.
EA has Origin, but ActiBlizz has Kotick.

Without a shadow of a doubt Intellectual Ventures is the worst.

Because unlike other companies where people might "dislike" some thing or another... Their entire goal in life is the disruption of anything that will make them money.

Google has shown very little respect for privacy, and basically want to acquire any and all information and monetize it for personal profit. That is why they banned all Google+ accounts that were under aliases and not real names, and lately tried to force people to use their real names on Youtube as well. Speaking of that, Youtube has also gone so downhill since Google took them over and SPAMed it full of banners and redid the entire interface to turn it into corporate-tube instead of you(thepeople)tube, and Google's dispute system and autocensorship is broken beyond belief. Shoot a video of your kid with the radio playing softly in the background for even just a portion of a song, and your video at minimum gets a SPAM banner after a while and more often lately gets deleted despite clearly being "fair-use".

It's no secret that Google's business model depends on end user data mining.

With that in mind, I think they are the only company that does this that has gotten it right. They are pretty public and transparent about how they use the data, and while I am a little bit of a privacy advocate, I don't feel uncomfortable using Google's services

I have only seen evidence of their data mining being utilized in anonymity that don't negatively impact privacy issues, and while they do build personal profiles on users (in order to target them with the correct ads) you can view what your profile is and opt out here.

Other companies however (Like Facebook, Apple Cellphone carriers, etc.) are a lot less transparent in how they use the data, and use more devious ways in collecting it, making my comfort level relatively low.

While no company is perfect on this front, to me Google is a good example of how to brave the tricky privacy issues of the Internet age ethically, and I respect them for that.

Your youtube argument is also kind of silly. They had to monetize Youtube somehow. When they bought it 6 years ago (two years after it being founded) the company was losing money hand over fist. It was spending an insane amount of money on bandwidth and had close to no revenue to speak of.

Google undertook the difficult task of making the service work financially, and that is no small feat.

Zarathustra[H];1039064467 said:
It's no secret that Google's business model depends on end user data mining.

With that in mind, I think they are the only company that does this that has gotten it right. They are pretty public and transparent about how they use the data, and while I am a little bit of a privacy advocate, I don't feel uncomfortable using Google's services

I have only seen evidence of their data mining being utilized in anonymity that don't negatively impact privacy issues, and while they do build personal profiles on users (in order to target them with the correct ads) you can view what your profile is and opt out here.

Other companies however (Like Facebook, Apple Cellphone carriers, etc.) are a lot less transparent in how they use the data, and use more devious ways in collecting it, making my comfort level relatively low.

While no company is perfect on this front, to me Google is a good example of how to brave the tricky privacy issues of the Internet age ethically, and I respect them for that.

Your youtube argument is also kind of silly. They had to monetize Youtube somehow. When they bought it 6 years ago (two years after it being founded) the company was losing money hand over fist. It was spending an insane amount of money on bandwidth and had close to no revenue to speak of.

Google undertook the difficult task of making the service work financially, and that is no small feat.

Google is just a spambot these days in my mind. You cant go to any Google site on IE without it saying "Download Chrome today!" and they bundle it with SO MANY third party programs its unreal (its the new toolbar bundleware crap). I really hate that.

Also I am of the opinion they really did steal android from Oracle and Apple, and while I know thats not a popular opinion around here, I do have it. So they are pretty goddamn huge thieves too in my mind.

Ill clarify before i get yelled at too much. They didnt steal for Oracle, but obviously knew their use of Java was borderline illegal, and moved ahead anyway.

Likewise, Schmidt pretty hardcore took the iPhone knowledge he had from being on the board of Apple and used it to influence Android heavily (as can be seen from before / after prototypes of Android). I dont think they are liable for damages, but its super underhanded and worthy of contempt in my mind.

Back