The Trackpad of the Future?

The summary is a little misleading. Trackpads have detected the pressure with which you push on them for ages...

I'm pretty sure the trackpad on my laptop is by them...and has all this crap (multi finger whatever and pressure whatever). It really just seems more of the same...

Why are corporate videos always terrible...:confused:

Where are the buttons? I hate Apple touchpads for this very reason.

A lot of Windows laptops have been going button-less for the past year or two as well. My HP Folio 13 is also button-less.

What's so special about buttons? The Apple trackpads are by far the best I've ever used.

I like the concept. My only gripe with touchpad today though is it's a little on the slow side responding to your gesture. There's a noticeable lag between your actions and the actual actions. It's probably graphics related though.

My HP Folio 13's multi-touch touchpad can do pinch-zoom and two finger up/down and side scroll. Haven't experimented with it much to find out what else it can do despite having the laptop since January because it's always docked to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Huh?

My laptop isn't that new, and it does multi-touch and force detection. How is this a new thing?

I'm pretty sure the trackpad on my laptop is by them...and has all this crap (multi finger whatever and pressure whatever). It really just seems more of the same...

Why are corporate videos always terrible...:confused:

I think what is on the market is just a matter of software fudging the numbers on the capacitive touch sensing to make it usable, and using the margin considered usable to measure how much you are pressing.

This looks like it is actually measuring pressure applied rather than how close your fingers are to the surface. I suspect it uses quantum tunneling composites, which are cool new stuff and shockingly simple.

um, the main thing i think that i'll be thinner allowing more room for battery or something else or for thinner laptops.

Synaptics are the reason why PC laptops are still not as good as the MacBook Air. Once you have used one of those Apple pads, it's hard to go back to the PC version.

I think the hardware is good, but the drivers are lousy.

Force Detection?

Yes! These ARE the droids I'm looking for! I'm a computer! Mind tricks don't work on me Jedi!

But chucking me via TK throw does AUUUUUUUUGH! *CRASH!*

Back