DEA’s Servers Low on Disk Space, Drops Charges to Make Room

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It must be Armando Angulo’s lucky day. Federal charges on illegal online prescriptions were recently dropped, not due to lack of evidence, but for having too much. The DEA had 400k pages occupying two terabytes of digitally stored evidence. Federal Prosecutors decided to drop the charges rather than fight for extra digital storage space. We should all be so lucky in the future. :D

The evidence against Angulo alone reportedly was taking up 5 percent of the DEA's entire worldwide global storage network.

If this isn't a sign of mismanaged government, I don't know what is. Seriously...they can't handle a few 2TB RAID6 arrays?

I can't decide if this is sad or a DEA troll effort.

We spend 100's of BILLIONS a year, but the DEA can't get a few terabytes of storage space?

Like, in all seriousness...what the fuck? I mean, WHAT THE FUCK?!

2TB?!?!? Seriously? WTF? They can't spend a couple hundred bucks for another couple drives? Shit, all they would have to do to free the space is go down to the local store and buy some USB drives and make duplicates.

What complete and utter incompetence of authorities. Aside from the idiocy of dropping charges for lack of more than 2TB of storage, why did they have 2TB of evidence in the first place? Certainly, a vast amount of that is redundant or irrelevant to the case.

There reaches a point where there's "too much" evidence or trials last "too long" to produce more justice. It's an illusion of justice, but the jury tunes out and just wants to go home.

This is kind of ridiculous. We are not talking some huge financial outlay here. We are talking secure network storage. And it is not even some obscene amount, it's 2TB.

I think, that since the guy is out of country, and unlikely to return, they decided to cut their losses on this prosecution. They have other charges to nail the guy on should he return to the US.

Good. Hopefully we drop their disk space down even further with the "recession."

>Drop charges on Doctor whose fake perscriptions not only adversely affected peoples health, but some of them got them extremely addicted to medications, and some people died from it
>DEA drops charges on man simply because they don't want to go out and buy a $150 hard drive.
>Kim Dotcom hurts nobody with his business, has a fully functional DMCA system to flag illegal files to take down
>United States prosecutors copy over 190 TERRABYTES of information in the case back to the states illegally, all over a man who's hurt -NOBODY-

PRIORITIES! COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS ARE WORTH MORE THEN PEOPLES LIVES!!!

Too bad megaupload was offline, they could have just stored their info there.

Muuuaaaahha!

I guess we know how Breaking Bad is going to end this season. :D

As stated already, zing :D

>Drop charges on Doctor whose fake perscriptions not only adversely affected peoples health, but some of them got them extremely addicted to medications, and some people died from it
>DEA drops charges on man simply because they don't want to go out and buy a $150 hard drive.
>Kim Dotcom hurts nobody with his business, has a fully functional DMCA system to flag illegal files to take down
>United States prosecutors copy over 190 TERRABYTES of information in the case back to the states illegally, all over a man who's hurt -NOBODY-

Ding ding ding ding

Should we link them some [H]ot deals on Hard Drives?

1st rule of [H]ardforum, we don't talk about [H]ardforum!

This is why the DEA needs to get on the Cloud bandwagon. They could just open a few Hotmail accounts and store the stuff across SkyDrives.

This comes to show how governments always overspend on stuff. Somehow, adding 2TB probably would cost like half a million dollars.

Lol yeah it's quite sad really. The RIAA and MPAA must give really awesome blow jobs for the government to bend over so much for them.

This comes to show how governments always overspend on stuff. Somehow, adding 2TB probably would cost like half a million dollars.

Lol yeah it's quite sad really. The RIAA and MPAA must give really awesome blow jobs for the government to bend over so much for them.

This is all very true. Our servers probably have about 4TB tops for our district. For an office that handles millions of legal documents, it disappears very quickly.

The US government's computer systems are mostly outdated beyond belief. A quick google search for "us government computer outdated" brings up stories like the Secret Service still mainframes from the 1980s.

There is some validity to being so outdated. Consider where almost all current computer components and electronics originate from - China.

There is some validity to being so outdated. Consider where almost all current computer components and electronics originate from - China.
That is such a bullshit excuse. We can build motherboards in the USA for the avionics of multi-billion dollar fighter planes but we can't build a server motherboard for government use? Also, the HDD's aren't manufactured in China, they are made in Thailand and Malaysia.

Pretty cool idea, now connected criminals can just have the evidence against them erased for some made up reason that only 1% of the people understand is bullshit instead of issuing all those pardons that are always made public and everybody can understand.

Let's ignore the biggest criminals and criminal enterprises because there's just too darn much paperwork and instead concentrate on that nice easy low-hanging fruit... oh yeah that's what all law enforcement already does.

This is just pathetic. Maybe the DEA should lease some space from all the different courthouses that are switching to a pure digital storage of documents.

Side point some of the courts down in Fla are using tiff to store documents rather than pdf which of course means everything will need to be rescanned (if it has not already been shredded) when the push comes to make documents searchable

2TB?!?!? Seriously? WTF? They can't spend a couple hundred bucks for another couple drives? Shit, all they would have to do to free the space is go down to the local store and buy some USB drives and make duplicates.

Thier server likely can't handle 2TB drives. They are probably using older systems with SCSI and can't put in anything larger than a 300-600GB, and even if the servers had room for more drives, the cost for server level drives is more than a couple hundered $.

Only 40TB? The small company I work for (< 100 employees) has almost that much storage on our servers. Enterpise level 2TB drives only run around $250. Enterprise level 2TB sata drives are great for servers where the amount of storage is more important than raw speed.

Side point some of the courts down in Fla are using tiff to store documents rather than pdf which of course means everything will need to be rescanned (if it has not already been shredded) when the push comes to make documents searchable

A scanned PDF is just a TIF file in a PDF wrapper. There is no advantage unless you consider using a PDF reader to open the file an advantage.

Image data can be stored inside the tif file if needed, or the data can be stored in a seperate file/database.

As for re-scanning, why?
It's already in tiff format, so if you need to, just convert it to PDF. (if that's the new standard or all that the new imaging system supports). Much faster and cleaner than trying to rescan.

BTW: I actually help design an imaging system back in the early 90's, and have worked for a couple diferent imaging companies since then, so I kind of know what I'm talking about :)

The "we ran out of disk space" stinks of liquefied donkey shit.

Someone got paid off to make this go away, plain and simple.

Yeah I reckon there's some bullshit going on there. I can't believe they only have 40TB and no one thought "oh geeze, maybe we should go buy some new drives/servers".

They had much more storage space, but some meth dealer drove a U-Haul with a giant magnet into the parking lot near the evidence room.

I thought the DEA seized millions from all those traffickers, couldn't they buy some space? Sad thing is the DEA finally looks stupid and it's for an actual drug enforcement case and not about coke or weed.

Thier server likely can't handle 2TB drives. They are probably using older systems with SCSI and can't put in anything larger than a 300-600GB, and even if the servers had room for more drives, the cost for server level drives is more than a couple hundered $.

Only 40TB? The small company I work for (< 100 employees) has almost that much storage on our servers. Enterpise level 2TB drives only run around $250. Enterprise level 2TB sata drives are great for servers where the amount of storage is more important than raw speed.

It's more likely to do with the auditing requirements, having had to quarantine law suit data before in our case it had to be on immutable storage. Not a hugely complex task but costs more than $250.

It's more likely that they've filled whatever storage array they have and they can't afford the array rather than disks. I figure something costing $300k to a normal company has to cost them a few million.

Of course they could just roll back their 'war' in Columbia back for a day or two and have all the storage they want.

Cut them some slack, office parties are more more important than the criminals.

The fuck?!

Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md2                 10.7T    569.7G     10.2T   5% /volume1
/dev/md3                 10.7T    895.8M     10.7T   0% /volume2
/dev/md4                 10.7T    896.1M     10.7T   0% /volume3

And that is my home NAS I built over the weekend. Still consolidating the tons of HDD's I have floating around. By the end of the week /volume1 should be around 80% full.

LOL, I bought my 3TB USB drive for $80 last year. Talk about government fail... of course that's a fail for us, as I bet they are leasing 150gb drives from Dell for $500 a year, because the Dell rep took whoever was responsible for that out for dinner, drinks, and hookers.

Back