Zuckerberg Acknowledges 'Painful' Stock Drop

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the understatement of the day goes to...Mark Zuckerberg!

Mr. Zuckerberg has long exhorted employees not to pay attention to the stock price, instead pushing them to focus on developing the social network. But in a companywide meeting earlier this month, he conceded that it may be "painful" to watch as investors continue to retreat from Facebook's stock, according to people familiar with the meeting.

Talk to most younger people (15-20 y.o.) , you know, the people that are the core of FB and they are all mostly bored with it. They've moved on to instagram or don't post as much anymore.

FaceBook made its IP when they were already at the top. it doesnt take a financial genius to figure out which way you go after reaching the top of a mountain...

....It's down. You go down.

Talk to most younger people (15-20 y.o.) , you know, the people that are the core of FB and they are all mostly bored with it. They've moved on to instagram or don't post as much anymore.

FaceBook made its IP when they were already at the top. it doesnt take a financial genius to figure out which way you go after reaching the top of a mountain...

Well, I don't think Facebook has to worry about Instagram, considering they own it.

Well, I don't think Facebook has to worry about Instagram, considering they own it.

Yes, I'm aware they own it but if people post less on facebook and log into IG more this will kill their AD revenue.

We aren't talking simple user base here. It's more about monetizing each user as much as possible. The Instagram arm of FB isn't up to speed yet to do that.

Yes, I'm aware they own it but if people post less on facebook and log into IG more this will kill their AD revenue.

We aren't talking simple user base here. It's more about monetizing each user as much as possible. The Instagram arm of FB isn't up to speed yet to do that.

Oh don't worry; IG will be covered with ads shortly.

See? SEE?! THIS is the kind of high-impact [H]ard hitting news I come to the [H}ardforum for....

Actually, this is pretty much a true statement (besides the instagram part, but I'll get to that in a second). Because Facebook is now a pit filled with 30-60 year olds trying to recapture some feeing of being young by including what used to be a trendy 20-somethings site into their lives, their children are staying away from it. Just like e-mail is for old people, Facebook is turning into something similar and so are other social networking sites.

Since I still most of my real life social circle consists of people in their teens, I'm hearing stuff like, "Yeah dude! That shit is whack!" and "Geepers! Aw nuts! Your old man is using Facebook now, Jimbo!" Okay, maybe not that in specific, but they're generally saying that they'll sign up for a social networking account just to have one, but don't really use it because there's a bunch of old people there already.

In a lot of ways, this makes them smarter than you....just saying.

Oh yeah...Instagram...they're not really using it either. People aren't moving from Facebook to another social networking site. They're just abandoning the idea altogether.

Because Facebook is now a pit filled with 30-60 year olds trying to recapture some feeing of being young by including what used to be a trendy 20-somethings site into their lives/QUOTE]

From all of the adults I know that fit into that age range, none of them have joined Facebook for that reason. More often than not, they join to connect and stay in touch with old friends from high school/college, co-workers, and family. Facebook works great for that.

From all of the adults I know that fit into that age range, none of them have joined Facebook for that reason. More often than not, they join to connect and stay in touch with old friends from high school/college, co-workers, and family. Facebook works great for that.

Oh that's just the excuse they'll use to cover their tracks and make it seem like they're not feeling their age when they talk to other adults. You know how people act. They pretty much all tell little lies about everything all the time because they somehow think that telling their truth is going to be a bad thing.

This is why it can be a bad investment to buy into a hyped IPO. The price is always going to be high.

Because Facebook is now a pit filled with 30-60 year olds trying to recapture some feeing of being young by including what used to be a trendy 20-somethings site into their lives,

Uhh...

I was a 20 something when I started using Facebook, and now I'm "30-60." Funny what five years will do to your age.

Uhh...

I was a 20 something when I started using Facebook, and now I'm "30-60." Funny what five years will do to your age.

lol this. OG

but there is a valid point here. young humans have certain well defined traits they don't know about, but mature businesses do. one of those things is that young humans don't like old things. that is why entertainment and bubble gum is constantly being repackaged to look different, even though it is the same old shit.

it could be that all social networking sites are doomed with the under-21 crowd, because once a few years pass, the existence of an over-21 crowd eliminates all interest from the under-21s.

think that's bullshit? where in the world do kids choose to hang out in the same place with "old people"?

Uhh...

Yup, that's right. You're in the same demographic that contains people who are members of AARP and play shuffleboard on cruise ships. I hope you're happy with yourself for deciding to get five years older.

Oh and I'm sorry about your using of Facebook. Don't forget, it's just like smoking or snorting cocaine, you can quit whenever you want.

people use facebook because it's facebook. everyone knows what it is. the younger generations are always more technologically trendy. the older you get, the less you're willing to partake in new ideas/concepts/websites right off the bat.. generally speaking.

the 10-20's will be the first to adopt myslutface.com when it arrives.. or whatever the hell it shall be named. that's just how it works. younger brains are more accepting of new ideas.

Uhh...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you're aging. If you cure it, you're going to shrivel up and then your heart will explode and then you'll be gone.

I don't believe it was "painful" unless it actually causes pain. Not because I care what happens to moron investors money, but because seeing morons suffer in humourous ways is humorous. Nailgun his feet everytime it drops a point or something. :D

I don't believe it was "painful" unless it actually causes pain. Not because I care what happens to moron investors money, but because seeing morons suffer in humourous ways is humorous. Nailgun his feet everytime it drops a point or something. :D

He only just got married. Give it about 15 more months and his new wife will be doing that for you.

He only just got married. Give it about 15 more months and his new wife will be doing that for you.

I'm going to marry his wife? :eek:

I know nothing about her! Is she pretty? Annoying? Can she make cakes? Does she play games and not mind doing the ports on the router? :eek:

I'm going to marry his wife? :eek:

I know nothing about her! Is she pretty? Annoying? Can she make cakes? Does she play games and not mind doing the ports on the router? :eek:

I guess I hafta answer them in order.

Nope, he's married to her already so wait until after the divorce.

How am I supposed to know if she's pretty or not? Ask someone who does that kinda thing with their forum time.

I've never met a Zuckerberg wife that wasn't at least a little annoying.

Yes, tons of them.

No games!

What do you want her to do to the ports on the router?!

Spending 1 billion dollars to buy Instagram shows that Facebook's CFO has completely, "lost the plot".

Facebook had 4 billion cash reserves ( ie. more money than sense ). Instagram only had a 30 k user base, relative to Facebook's close to 1 billion user base.

Every article about the acquisition talks about the logistics of why Facebook would buy Instagram ( Facebook lacks a competitive, mobile, cell phone application ) but no article addresses why Facebook would pay such a ridiculously high amount.

One person commented that Facebook could have simply thrown a tiny fraction of the buyout dollars, to a small group of developers ( internally or externally ), to create a copy of Instagram.

I watched "The Social Network" and was really interested in the "reality" behind Saverin's character portrayal:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...erin-gives-up-u-s-citizenship-before-ipo.html

Oh yeah, one of the weirdest things that I read was that Facebook takes in close to a billion in revenue ( ie. $1 per user on average ) but they are making a loss of $157 million-ish so... what are they spending the money on? Where is it going?

Back