ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA 1155 Motherboard Review [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA 1155 Motherboard Review - The P8Z77-V Pro is a perfect example of how powerful the ASUS P8xxx series is and what it has to offer. While many would consider it a stripped down model, it is anything but. While not as feature rich as some in the series, the P8Z77-V Pro does have a lot to offer, especially given its price point.

Nice review. Thanks for the read.

Though one question I have every time I see more of these board sporting the Lucid VirtuMVP is whether or not it has improved at all since launch. It is something worth a revisit or is it another semi-functional pipe dream like the Hydra was?

Been using one of these for a few months on my lounge room rig, it's been really solid with the 3570K chugging along at 4.5ghz.

I have this board and a 2600K. Asus keeps pumping out BIOS updates, so they seem to want to make it work. I bought it because it included a PCI slot, so I can continue to use my Auzun Prelude sound card for another cycle. I run my overclock as 104 x 44 or 4576 MHz. Works well.

I have this board and a 2600K. Asus keeps pumping out BIOS updates, so they seem to want to make it work. I bought it because it included a PCI slot, so I can continue to use my Auzun Prelude sound card for another cycle. I run my overclock as 104 x 44 or 4576 MHz. Works well.

Same re: PCI slot. Was between this and the GB UD5H for me (early May, IB release). Ended up with this board mainly because of past good experiences with Asus and the Fan Xpert 2 software allowing better fan control than GB's EasyTune.

Very happy with it, zero issues so far, easy to work with, great UEFI and the Windows software has come a long way. Running at 4500MHz (45 x 100) with reasonable temps under an NH-D14. Fan Xpert keeps my rig silent at idle and still quiet at load, and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money on expensive aftermarket fans/controllers.

Hey I was wondering something. Anytime I have an overclock I can't get into the bios without using the jumper to clear the RTC RAM. I've tried regular reboot, complete shutdown and power off, and holding down the delete key for the duration of boot. Does anyone else have this issue? Anyone know what the deal is and how to fix?

It only does it on an overclock, whenever the board is at stock settings I can get into the bios fine.

Can anyone explain the difference between the

Asus P8Z77-V

&

Asus P8Z77-V Pro?

I'm looking to buy today & it seems the most glaring difference is $30.00.

Edit: Looks like the only difference is the Pro has 2 more USB 3.0 ports?

Can anyone explain the difference between the

Asus P8Z77-V

&

Asus P8Z77-V Pro?

I'm looking to buy today & it seems the most glaring difference is $30.00.

Edit: Looks like the only difference is the Pro has 2 more USB 3.0 ports?

You can get finer-grained on the fan control with the V-PRO (vs. the -V) as well. The price spread depends on where (and when) you buy; for example, the spread at MicroCenter between the two ASUS motherboards is all of $10 this month (normally, it's $15). And if you have particularly picky USB devices (keyboards and mice, for example) that don't like the taste of the faster USB 3.0 ports, being able to dedicate two slower USB ports to such persnickety devices can save a lot of aggro. (My primary keyboard and mouse are not only USB, but wireless besides - therefore firmly in the persnickety category. Being able to dedicate lower-speed ports to those devices without lacking - and even better, without breaking my budget - is always a good thing.)

I just bought this mobo for my son's first build. I've always built his systems out of my trickle down parts, but now he's living out of state with his Mom. His 5 year old system was a beast when I built it, but a Q6600 running stock no longer provides enough oomph for a gamer like my son. He's saving up money and almost has enough to get everything for his build. I wanted to help him out, so when he sent me a link that he was looking at this board, I went ahead and ordered it for him. I know, this is a lot of background for a quick question, but now that it's been out for a while, what do owners of this board think? I just want to make sure this was a good pick for a first build...

Back