Paragon Releases Image Backup for Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Looking for a free image backup tool, but you are running Windows 8? Not a problem any longer, Paragon Software has your back. Paragon has just released a compact, free, simple to use backup tool. It’s one of the first image backup systems that will run Windows 8 Resilient File System (ReFS) and is available for download now.

Include and exclude filters help to define exactly what you’re backing up, for instance; you can set your archive’s compression level, or split it into equal-sized files; support for VSS will help you to back up locked files.

I'm guessing the one built into Windows 7 is no longer in Win8?

I'll give it a shot. I ditched Acronis for Macrium Reflect Free back when Vista or 7 came out, didn't feel like buying a new version of True Image when all I cared about was a manual backup, and Macrium Reflect Free did it for me..

Wasn't the one built into Windows 7 (Backup And Restore) only on the higher end versions? This would appeal to people who don't have the high end versions.

It look like Windows 8 includes "File History" which looks to be a copy of Apple's Time Machine. So this utility would be used to clone drives.

http://www.vikitech.com/11938/windows-8-file-history-feature-backup-restore-files

I have Win 7 Home Premium and it's definitely there in that one...but it isn't as obvious as it should be. It's under the "Backup and Restore" function, but you have to look in the upper left to see the system image options.
I've used it 2-3 times in the past with good results, although my SSD takes FOREVER to restore from an image saved on my normal back-up HD.

Using ghost now on 7 with good results, always liked paragon, might give them a shot.

Finally gave up on acronis, they seem to destroy they're software one step at a time with every new version, it got old.

have used paragon since i had my 2004 dell's HD blew up. i like the W7 back up but i still use paragon just seems easier for me as i got use to it.

So does Win 8 not have built in backup? I installed the candidate but after about a week, I went back to using Win 7. I did not even think to look if there was a backup utility. I figured since Win 7 had, they would bring that feature to Win 8 as well.

Back