EA Expects Its Digital Sales to Overtake Boxed Games

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Peter Moore, COO of Electronic Arts is predicting the company’s focus will shift in the next several years from boxed game software to digital downloads to stay competitive with social and mobile gaming markets. Moore reassured its consumer base that EA will always provide traditional boxed games to consumers as long as there is a demand.

EA expects $2.6 billion in revenue worldwide from selling packaged goods and $1.7 billion from digital products in its fiscal year to March 2013, Moore said.

What with having to continuously activate Crysis 2 every time I reload it, and needing to contact EA for permission to activate past the 5 times allowed-EVEN THOUGH I OWN THE GAME- I plan on NOT buying EA products in the future. If they produce a game worth owning I'll wait for a used copy or a much reduced new copy. EA can put it's head in it's rear as testimony to their stupidity.

Digital download gives the most profit and control for a company, and if you don't like the game/Eula, tough shit, there is no box to take back to a store.

EA Games is focusing on predicting the dreadfully obvious future. They might also want to mention that the Earth will be going around the Sun in 2013.

That would only be true for EA if they dumped their absolutely horrific Origin Program. It's the biggest POS in existence. I'd much much rather buy their boxed games.

I haven't used my Xbox 360 in years, and don't have a PS3. Can you download games like Crysis 2 from their online store? Cause if you can't then the PC makes up the majority of those online sales. Which means the PC has a much bigger presence then a lot of developers wanna admit.

It hasn't already...?

That would be news to me.

Maybe for EA with their shitty Origin, I guess.

That would only be true for EA if they dumped their absolutely horrific Origin Program. It's the biggest POS in existence. I'd much much rather buy their boxed games.

All of Their boxed games will probably require Origin anyways.

I'm fairly sure digital sales out sell boxed games anyway... If only Steam would release an an income statement or balance sheet. I would love to get my hands on one of those...

I've had less issues with Origin than with Steam.

Rumors are that Xbox 720 will be digital downloading focused (exclusive?). Since their PC games are ports, it only makes sense.

They're just diffusing possible backlash by PC customers who cling to boxed version by announcing it years ahead.

Back