Is Your Computer Infected With Gauss Malware?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
As we reported yesterday, Kaspersky reported a new variant virus making the rounds. The Gauss malware was initially designed to steal banking information from Middle East users, but has since expanded its parameters. A link is provided to check to see if your PC has been infected.

Gauss steals detailed information like browser history, cookies, passwords, and system configurations, Kaspersky said, but it can also steal things like credentials for various online banking systems and payment methods.

Gauss was designed to steal data from Lebanese banks like Bank of Beirut, EBLF, BlomBank, ByblosBank, FransaBank and Credit Libanais, as well as Citibank and PayPal.
That and the fact that it appears only to target the 32-bit versions of XP and W7 and some cell phones made by HTC,(weird) makes the chances of being infected all but nil.

I'll give the virus my info, just return a favor and drop some elite bastards money into my bank account as a temporary storage location, I won't touch it, I promise!

[Buys ticket to the cayman islands]

So you turn off unnecessary programs and keep things up to date is what you're saying.

I think he's implying security through obscurity by using some non-Microsoft OS. Some of us are a bit high-minded about that sort of thing when we decide to use another OS. We use it as a pyschological crutch to imply we're unique or somehow better because of what is installed on a hard drive of a PC.

A lot of people still seem to latch onto the mindset that Windows is impossible to secure. That was true of 9x-based systems, but the NT enterprise stuff is pretty secure when, like any other OS, it gets configured properly and is used with care. Sometimes, its hard to be reasonable when you want to feel superior to a bunch of random people that you'll only ever know as a buncha words on a screen. :(

A lot of people still seem to latch onto the mindset that Windows is impossible to secure.

As long as human beings are using it, or any OS for that matter, they will never truly be secure.
Now if cats were to use them, then bam! 100% secure! :p

As long as human beings are using it, or any OS for that matter, they will never truly be secure.

A long time ago, my kitty replaced me with a Stepford Owner so that I would be at his beck and call. I have no idea where he got that idea, but I guess it isn't a big deal that I've been replaced by a robot. I just wish he'd let me out of the bathroom closet since the water heater makes it warm in here and the light bulb burned out a few months ago.

This, had a friend who enjoys clicking and playing with anything on her computer (whatever OS), she eventually crashed a mac (osx), by first, leaving the administrator password blank, and fiddled with almost everything she can click on it. too much curiosity literraly killed the cat :D

Back