IBM Wants RIM's Crown Jewel -- Its Enterprise Business

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
IBM is looking to strip the meat off the not-quite-dead-yet Research in Motion’s bones by making an unofficial offer to buy RIM’s enterprise-services unit, the most valuable of the company’s assets. No formal offer has yet been made on enterprise according to sources at Bloomberg.

The business may be valued at $1.5 billion to $2.5 billion depending on the mix of assets included, according to Berenberg Bank.

Many enterprise users are migrating away from RIM. It's a dinosaur. IBM better plan for a write down next year when they sell or close the turkey at a substantial loss.

Why would IBM buy something that in a few months they can buy for pennies on the dollar when its in BK court?

RIM, Really Incapable Management

Why would IBM buy something that in a few months they can buy for pennies on the dollar when its in BK court?

RIM, Really Incapable Management

Maybe they want to avoid a bidding war but I just don't see the value of RIM's tech portfolio right now. It's like buying typewriter patents from a dying company when the world is moving towards word processors.

Some folks point towards India and thier obsession with RIM, well get the tech cheap IBM because your market is just going to be India.

Maybe they want to avoid a bidding war but I just don't see the value of RIM's tech portfolio right now. It's like buying typewriter patents from a dying company when the world is moving towards word processors.

Some folks point towards India and thier obsession with RIM, well get the tech cheap IBM because your market is just going to be India.

They are buying the infrastructure thats already in place, not to mention it is still a very much useful tool. With big blue behind this it gas the potential to explode, hell i would buy an ibm phone.

If they so start to make phones they better not later sell it to lenovo.

Maybe IBM wants to get in on the mobile business by buying RIM. Then they would have a foot in the door to compete with giants like Apple. If so, grab some popcorn, a front row seat and watch the fireworks.

I don't think RIM's portfolio is that horrible, I just believe they have the worst management. If IBM execs step in, it could really turn out to be profitable business after all.

Maybe IBM wants to get in on the mobile business by buying RIM. Then they would have a foot in the door to compete with giants like Apple.

The IBM of today is more into services & software, not hardware.
I would assume they would extend RIM's secure access to other other phones like Android or Apple.
Of couse if RIM sold off this part of the company, it would be the end of RIM as there wouldn't be anything left.

The IBM of today is more into services & software, not hardware.
I would assume they would extend RIM's secure access to other other phones like Android or Apple.
Of couse if RIM sold off this part of the company, it would be the end of RIM as there wouldn't be anything left.

We would likely end up tying it into something like Lotus Traveler to allow for secure tunnel traffic to end devices from a Domino mail environment.

Back