Crowd Fails to Fund How-To Book On Crowdfunding

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ouch, this had to be embarrassing. I guess we won't be buying this guy's "how-to" book. :eek:

Call the book: "Crowdfunding: a Guide to What Works and Why." Seek $35,000 on Kickstarter. And stand back to watch the crowd opens its wallet. One problem: The crowdfunding crowd this time wasn't funding ... at least not enough. After launching his solicitation on July 6, veteran technology writer and would-be how-to author Glenn Fleishman was forced to pull the plug 17 days later after garnering just under $4,000 in pledges.

Step 1: Have a product people want to crowdfund. E.g., not a book about crowdfunding.

Are there really that many people going after crowd whatever? Kickstarter has had less than 67000 total projects, making a minimum 67000 userbase. Not really very large for a $35000 budget...(was lucky to even get $4000).

Here is an example of a project that makes a lot more sense for people to crowd fund, for example... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game ... looks interesting and for people who are into such games, the perks make sense and even justify the investment.

The projects that make the most sense are ones where the investors are interested in the subject of the project.... and investing perks make sense to bother being involved.

I bet they were hoping to include their successful kickstarter as an example in the book. Now it will be in the what not to do section ^_^

$35,000 to write a BOOK on how to make a good kickstarter?

Fuck that, I'll do it for fucking free.

1. ACTUALLY HAVE A IDEA AND PROJECT READY TO GO!!! Have a game world fully designed, have storyline fully designed, have all characters fully designed, have everything pretty much ready to go OTHER then making the product. If you are asking for a kickstarter to make hardware, have -ACTUAL- concepts available so we can see your idea.

People are -NOT- going to fund your "Idea's", so stop fucking trying. "I want to think up a next gen MMO" <--- This is not an idea, this is you wanting to get paid amazing amounts of money to do what the entire fucking world does -FOR FREE- to get their idea's known and backed. You want to make a next gen fighter, then show concepts of controls, concepts of characters, different fighting locations, storylines etc. Just going "Gimmie half a million so I can think up the next gen fighter" will never fucking get you anything.

2. Appeal to absolute brick shittingly stupid yuppie fucking morons. Examples are being a batshit fucking insane feminist, or insane My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fan, and put up kickstarters to make videos about how awful men fucking are/how awesome MLP:FIM is. Sit back, roll in the cash.

There, this is how you make a successful kickstarter. Have fun!

Here is an example of a project that makes a lot more sense for people to crowd fund, for example... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game ... looks interesting and for people who are into such games, the perks make sense and even justify the investment.

The projects that make the most sense are ones where the investors are interested in the subject of the project.... and investing perks make sense to bother being involved.

How innovative.

Hmm...

Buy my book which tells you how to make money!

The contents of which are: "Scam people into buying a book on how to make money."

Indeed, ideas or something someone can look up on their own on the very Internet they're browsing Kickstarter projects through, is a harder sell than, say, a real product.

Back