Yet another SG05 thread... Modding question.

crABtoad

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

just put in the order for my 3770 a couple hours ago. Had a quick question regarding a slight mod...

Background information on the mod: I need to use the original drive cages to fit the other WD Red, and an SSD. The ODD bay will be filled with a sound card and can't be used.

I'm thinking about getting a silverstone NT07-1156 cooler because it seems to be the best of the tiny low profile coolers (only 36mm).

The cooler is rated for 95W TDP, CPU only requires 77W. I didn't get a K series 3770 so I'm not worried about OC loads.

I want to put another 3.5" HDD underneath the PSU in this case so I can have a pair of 3TB WD Reds running in RAID1.

So, there's about 4 inches between the bottom of the motherboard IO shield and the bottom of the PSU. HDD is 1 inch tall, CPU cooler is like 1.5", so we're down to approximately 1.5 inches of free space to move the HDD up and down inside...

Would it be better to give the CPU cooler a full inch, and leave 0.5 inches behind for the PSU intake? I guess I'm trying to figure out an ideal placement before I drill holes in the case.

Going to be fixing it lengthwise along the rear case wall drilled right into the side. There will be a pair of "arms" going across the HDD and into the screws on the opposite side, making a "cradle" style cage for it. I've heard you could just velcro it to the bottom of the psu but i'm worried about completely blocking the psu intake.

Sorry if I'm rambling a little, haven't slept yet.

Edit:// As an afterthought, I thought I'd clarify what I mean by "best" cooler in this case... It's tiny, has sufficient TDP, and it's incredibly quiet apparently. I'm going by frostytech's best low profile cpu coolers here.

Last edited:
Back