Rhode Island Selling 38 Studios' Assets

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know how to break this to the state of Rhode Island, but I'm pretty sure it would have to pay someone to take this stuff off its hands. :eek:

While 38 Studios is finished, its employees laid off, and its projects canceled, there's really only one thing left to be done: figure out what to do with the leftovers. The court granted the state of Rhode Island all of 38 Studios' assets, including rights to its single-player RPG and the unfinished Project Copernicus.

Maybe Rhode Island will fund another gaming company with the sold assets.

I would buy it, but I heard the game isn't any fun. :)

Seriously though KOA did reasonably well, might be some value there.
They could also auction off their storage containers! YUUUP!

maybe they should let a real all world superstar athlete run it this time...maybe Pete Sampras...he seems pretty smart. or the cast of The Expendables 2

If they had dumped the money, dev time, and research into KoA... it could have been a much bigger success. It had fun combat (which stagnated later on), a few good design concepts (which stagnated later on), and it was an original AAA IP. Make it a bit less corridor focused, better progression, level design, UI, variation in quests, more interesting characters and put in some late game challenges - it would have ended up more than the 20 hour time waster it was for me.

Idea: 9/10
Execution: 1/10

Frankly, RI (as well as the rest of the country) would have been far better served by employing its citizens directly, rather then spending millions on a company to watch it go bust.

It's worthless. Just about everybody who worked on it have new jobs now, or within months from now. They're not going to go back to it - they never even did after they made a functional version of it.

Audio-visual resources maybe, a few pennies.

The question becomes, shouldnt the game IP be public domain since the public paid for it?

It's worthless. Just about everybody who worked on it have new jobs now, or within months from now. They're not going to go back to it - they never even did after they made a functional version of it.

Audio-visual resources maybe, a few pennies.

and the money earned for every sale on steam?

The question becomes, shouldnt the game IP be public domain since the public paid for it?

Haven't you learned by now that just because the government paid for whatever using your money doesn't make it yours?

Makes perfect sense duh!

Maybe Rhode Island will fund another gaming company with the sold assets.

Hmm, Vet's Discount SW Development. I'll work on it for only 70 million. That's a 5 million discount from their previous venture. I'll drag it out a lot longer if they don't put in minimum employment stipulations, keep this a one man operation. For "The Vision", "The Path", and whatever else they need to hear.

Oh and Cloud computing, definitely some cloud computing, maybe I'll use HPs cloud technology they talk about in this video:

http://videosift.com/video/HP-Offers-That-Cloud-Thing-Everyone-Is-Talking-About

It's going to be awesome......for me at least.

3D Realms should pick up the slack! They'll have it done under budget and in no time!

Well Duke Nukem Forever was bought from a failed company and released, 38 Studio's games couldn't be much worse.

The only question in Rhode Island is which failure of a project do you want to throw money at.
At least in this case some nerds made some money rather than organized crime.

I bought it and haven't even played it yet... :(.

It's a decent game that gets repetitive towards the end. The world is large and very detailed for a single player game, and I wanted to enjoy it, but I wound up just grinding through the last 1/3 of the game just to finish it. Honestly, the first DLC for it was very well done and I enjoyed that portion of the game. The second DLC fell a little flat to me, but I could have just been burnt out on the game by that time. It's a shame that this happened, I was rooting for new IP from new studios, and Curt's vision was neat to see being put into place. Maybe someone might buy the mess and do something with it, but it is sad to see such an epic failure.

Back