Google Fined $22.5M For Safari Tracking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google will have to dip into its petty cash fund to pay another fine. If they keep this up, there won't be any money left for Pizza Friday.....this week. ;)

Google Inc. has agreed to pay a record $22.5 million civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it misrepresented to users of Apple Inc.’s Safari Internet browser that it would not place tracking “cookies” or serve targeted ads to those users, violating an earlier privacy settlement between the company and the FTC. The settlement is part of the FTC’s ongoing efforts make sure companies live up to the privacy promises they make to consumers, and is the largest penalty the agency has ever obtained for a violation of a Commission order.

Hey FTC, here's a shiny nickel. Don't spend it all in one place.

As I said during the last FTC to google fine that was "largest ever" it's just gunna keep going up and up as they get more and more greedy realizing google will pay, lets see if they actually put the money to good use, or waste it like every other government agency.

Hey FTC, here's a shiny nickel. Don't spend it all in one place.

Hey, mister! Change? You got change? (shameful quote from UHF where the bum asks for change and gets a single coin, which in turn makes him rich). Does anyone remember that movie? And thus the bum asking for change??

Hey, mister! Change? You got change? (shameful quote from UHF where the bum asks for change and gets a single coin, which in turn makes him rich). Does anyone remember that movie? And thus the bum asking for change??

With Weird Al?

Trading Places?

Wow! Oh I can't believe it. Thanks, mister! Thanks a lot!

(Later):

Hey! Hey, I know you! You're the guy that gave me that double dye Denver Mint penny! Thanks a lot, mister! That thing was worth a fortune!
After I cashed it in, I had enough money to buy a whole bunch of shares... plus, I got this real neat watch. It's a Ro-lex. See?

IMO UHF is underrated.

Yeah that's a classic, I gotta find a copy of that movie and watch it this weekend.

Ah Red Snapper Very Tasty.

The important question is, does google earn more tracking in forbidden places and paying fines? Or do they make more not tracking and not paying fines?

Ah, Wheel of Fish
STUPID! YOU'RE SO STUPID!

I'm shamefully derailing this thread, but that was one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie. That and the two guys holding the umbrellas making funny noises and looking stupid.

Can some one explain to me exactly:

1. How the FTC has the right/power to fine people/companies.

2. Where this "fine" money goes? Is it actually used somewhere helpful like schools or used just to line the pockets of politicians?

Can some one explain to me exactly:

1. How the FTC has the right/power to fine people/companies.

2. Where this "fine" money goes? Is it actually used somewhere helpful like schools or used just to line the pockets of politicians?

1. the same way a police officer has the right to fine you for traffic violation. It's their job and purpose, to enforce laws regarding consumer protection from fraudulent trades and businesses. Google's tracking Safari users - a consumer privacy and/or deception violation.

2. It's an independent agency created by the Federal government. I would imagine the FTC retains percentages of the fine while giving the rest to the Federal government.

Safari 6 is actually pretty good. It went from unusable to completely usable in the span of a version number.

Between Safari and Chrome, I'd take Safari without even having to think about it. There's a lot less shoulder-surfing ability from creepers like Google in Safari.

What happened to "do no evil"? And I thought google pride themselves in being a corporate citizen...

haha, I did think of that post, but I was also a Lynx and PINE user back in the day before MOSIAC was born.

Oooh PINE! I've only played a little with it inside of Slackware distros (like version 7 through 10), but that sort of thing was already long past being commonly used by the time I got around to doing this whole computer thingey for monies.

I've only use Lynx and PINE through telnet. Back when I had dial-up I would ask my ISP for telnet access. I've always been a DOS and Windows user.

I've only use Lynx and PINE through telnet. Back when I had dial-up I would ask my ISP for telnet access. I've always been a DOS and Windows user.

Oh...you're not nearly as super old as I thought you have been. :p

Back