Ex-Intel Worker Gets 3 Years For Stealing Secrets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember this guy? Well, it looks like he is going to be spending a little time behind bars. Feel free to make prison jokes that play on the "Intel Inside" jingle.

A former Intel Corp. worker in Massachusetts has been sentenced to three years in federal prison for stealing hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of computer chip manufacturing and design secrets while working for a rival company.

The Intel Inside jingle would be more effective if he was actually in prison, lol.

Sentenced to probation and fine. I wonder who this "rival company" is.

The Intel Inside jingle would be more effective if he was actually in prison, lol.

Sentenced to probation and fine. I wonder who this "rival company" is.

Cyrix. Unfortunately this guy stole the dummy material. :D

Yeah I missed that last paragraph. The "share this event with friends" Facebook, Twitter, G+ box popped up over it.

I wonder if AMD really knew that Pani was divulging trade secrets, or accepted his information as simply being intelligent and knowing what he was talking about.

i thought amd just reverse engineer intel chips with machines that they have. maybe it is longer process to do that.

Only fined 17K for 400 million worth of secrets? When he gets out in three years, he'll be a very rich man. I'd do three years in prison if it meant coming out to millions of dollars.

Yeah I missed that last paragraph. The "share this event with friends" Facebook, Twitter, G+ box popped up over it.

I wonder if AMD really knew that Pani was divulging trade secrets, or accepted his information as simply being intelligent and knowing what he was talking about.
In the article jlinker linked, it says that AMD had no knowledge that he was doing so and that the FBI recovered the documents before he could divulge the info in them. It sounds like he may have intended to use them for his own benefit within AMD.

In the article jlinker linked, it says that AMD had no knowledge that he was doing so and that the FBI recovered the documents before he could divulge the info in them. It sounds like he may have intended to use them for his own benefit within AMD.

Obviously. He planned to go to AMD and be a star player by "engineering" a lot of stuff.

Obviously. He planned to go to AMD and be a star player by "engineering" a lot of stuff.

I think he was trying to pass himself off as a "productive member" of the engineering team. He probably knew that if he tried to sell the entire documents to AMD, they would have told him to fuck off and reported him for stealing trade secrets. If they hadn't and bought it, they most likely would have had their asses sued off into oblivion. Besides it's not like there are that many competitors out there that would say "Sure we'll buy your stolen information". He probably had better chances selling to a Chinese firm.

I know, I saw that piece too, which is why I said whether they REALLY knew or not. As my dad likes to say when you're caught without evidence: deny, deny, deny!!

:D

ahahaha....too bad it wasn't AMD....since...u know...."A Massive D..." (cue jingle)

Ha! Dumbass. Enjoy Federal "Pound me in the ass" Prison.

*Intel Jingle*

You know you heard it in your mind.

I assure you that AMD knew what this guy was doing and it's going to come out eventually.

Ha! Dumbass. Enjoy Federal "Pound me in the ass" Prison.

*Intel Jingle*

You know you heard it in your mind.

Federal pens aren't really known for their 'Pound me in the ass" qualities. He's most likely going to a minimum security facility.

Federal pens aren't really known for their 'Pound me in the ass" qualities. He's most likely going to a minimum security facility.

+1

This myth really needs to stop making the rounds with clueless people who have never been in a prison for any significant length of time. Contrary to the stupid rumor, inmates are not constantly sexually assaulting one another while locked in the hoosegow. What people mistake as unwanted advances and deviant sexual misconduct are nothing more than expressions of fondness and loving camaraderie for people in similar, adverse conditions. Just because it gets a little rough or there's some bleeding or it starts with an unexpected ambush in the community shower doesn't mean that it was unwelcome. Sometimes, the only way there is to show you care while locked away is quickly, before the guards catch you and break up playtime. So really, get arrested and get a clue before you start typing stupid stuff that shows how little you understand about life in the big house.

If AMD had knew what he was doing they would have fired his ass right away considering there was no guaranty that he was gonna do same thing to them by stealing their data. beside there aren't just high end CPUs this companies make, there are some other stuff that can be used on few of the other (made in china stuffs)

Only fined 17K for 400 million worth of secrets? When he gets out in three years, he'll be a very rich man. I'd do three years in prison if it meant coming out to millions of dollars.

Come one...three year old CPU designs by the time he is out, like thats going to be worth even a penny.

+1

This myth really needs to stop making the rounds with clueless people who have never been in a prison for any significant length of time. Contrary to the stupid rumor, inmates are not constantly sexually assaulting one another while locked in the hoosegow. What people mistake as unwanted advances and deviant sexual misconduct are nothing more than expressions of fondness and loving camaraderie for people in similar, adverse conditions. Just because it gets a little rough or there's some bleeding or it starts with an unexpected ambush in the community shower doesn't mean that it was unwelcome. Sometimes, the only way there is to show you care while locked away is quickly, before the guards catch you and break up playtime. So really, get arrested and get a clue before you start typing stupid stuff that shows how little you understand about life in the big house.

That's the thing I like about this place; people with first hand knowledge of a subject are willing to speak up to set things straight. :D

That's the thing I like about this place; people with first hand knowledge of a subject are willing to speak up to set things straight. :D

Of course! We have to work to dispell all these myths about prison life. Angry romance is still romance!

+1

Did you write this with a tongue in your cheek or something else in your cheek? :D

Back