Dell U2713HM

Landmine

Limp Gawd
dell.jpg

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

Thoughts on this new monitor?

Last edited:
damn beat me to it :p
cant wait to see how this AH-IPS panel performs, might have to be an early adopter

Coming soon is different in my opinion. That is a thread of what people want or predict it to be. Plus this thread has the full name.

It's just a darn shame that beautiful IH-IPS panel is going to be ruined by a horrific anti-glare coating. Was really hoping Dell would learn from other panel makers and realize that a lot of users find sparkles and a fuzzy image far more distracting than the occasional reflection.

As this is the HM model, do you think there is any chance Dell with do a high end model for people who demand a clearer image with a haze free glossy panel?

Now listed for $800 US on Dell Australia's site. Hmm, two crystal clear Korean 27", or one fuzzy Dell? I know my mind is made up!

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

Last edited:
It's just a darn shame that beautiful IH-IPS panel is going to be ruined by a horrific anti-glare coating. Was really hoping Dell would learn from other panel makers and realize that a lot of users find sparkles and a fuzzy image far more distracting than the occasional reflection.

not everybody minds the AGC as much as you.

Coming soon is different in my opinion. That is a thread of what people want or predict it to be. Plus this thread has the full name.

It's not at all if you read the whole thread. It started as a "coming soon" thread but all the recent info is related to proper news, links to these spec sites and subsequent discussion. If you look the massive Dell U3011 thread is still titled as "coming soon" as well

And a lot of people do and won't even consider buying the Dell. They really need to give people an option between the two.

If this was glossy and ~$600, I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it.

The problem isn't just AG coating, it's the fact that they slather it on so heavily, and combined with 1440p, it's a big problem for a lot of people.

I find it so odd that no manufacturer besides Samsung (and now Asus) uses semi-glossy coating. It won't be mirror-like, so it's not super glossy or anything... yet blocks enough light to get rid of most glare problems. I have it on two tvs and it's a really good compromise as far as coatings go. Unless I have a light shining right on it, it's fine for glare. And it's not all grainy like typical AG coating.

There is still the chance the Dell has light or normal coating, at least. Won't know until someone gets one.

Agreed, I find no problem with the AGC on my U2412M.

My only guess is that Dell is aware if they are loosing out on enough revenue to make it worthwhile to alter how they produce their screens.

I always take forum complaints and reviews with a grain of salt. Sure there could be a few hundred or even a few thousand people unhappy with the AGC, but, they only make up a small % of the millions of displays that Dell has actually sold to happy customers.

It's like that with pretty much everything in life. People swear this and that sucks yet there's just as many people that love the same product.

I used to work for a local PC Shop and we used crappy ECS and PC Chips motherboards back in the day and we had very few issues with them. I've seen name brand stuff come in for replacement more often than some of that cheap crap.

Since it has HDMI, it'll likely have a scaler for gaming, etc., no? Can't wait for the reviews, I need something to hook my PC and consoles.

Glossy screens suck. Most companies already ruined notebooks this way with their shitty glossy panels. Buy from another manufacturer if that's what you want, we're perfectly happy with the anti-glare coating.

Who is this 'we'? You might be happy with your monitor looking constantly dirty like someone smeared vaseline on it but not everyone is. I agree that glossy laptop screens can be a pain but I don't feel the same way about desktops. As somebody pointed out above it isn't just matte that is the problem it is this thick matte usually used on such monitors.

The dislike for AG coating has to be the single most exaggerated thing ever. I'm not saying it's an invalid concern but, sometimes you guys act like everybody hates AG coating and everyone who doesn't should.

Moreover, if I wanted a 27 inch mirror on my desk, I'd go buy one.

This seems good. I wish the price was less though. I think $600 would make these fly.

Moreover, if I wanted a 27 inch mirror on my desk, I'd go buy one.

Speaking about exaggeration...
AG comes up so often because it's the biggest con (AFAIK).
Why can't they have two models, one with the current AG and one with a less aggressive one?

Speaking about exaggeration...
AG comes up so often because it's the biggest con (AFAIK).
Why can't they have two models, one with the current AG and one with a less aggressive one?

No reason they couldn't, technically speaking. But from their perspective manufacturing two display models with two different panels just so that the discerning enthusiast can have a choice isn't particularly smart business decision. Even here on the [H] a fair number of people aren't picky about AG. Outside of enthusiast forums it's an increasingly minor issue. It annoys me and I'd love a full glossy version of this, personally. I can manage glare sources myself in my scenario.

Last edited:
It's just a darn shame that beautiful IH-IPS panel is going to be ruined by a horrific anti-glare coating.

+1.

RMAing my DELL Ultrasharp and freeing myself of an awful anti-glare coated monitor is seriously the most liberating thing I've ever done. It was like escaping from a giant Jigsaw torture chamber from those "Saw" movies.

Looks like Samsung and Apple remain the only good options. I use monitors to do real work, not to feel like I'm trapped in a Stephen King horror novel.

No reason they couldn't, technically speaking. But from their perspective manufacturing two display models with two different panels just so that the discerning enthusiast can have a choice isn't particularly smart business decision. Even here on the [H] a fair number of people aren't picky about AG. Outside of enthusiast forums it's an increasingly minor issue. It annoys me and I'd love a full glossy version of this, personally. I can manage glare sources myself in my scenario.

What do photo and video (editing) professionals think of it?
Apple has only glossy desktop screens (AFAIK) and lots of people love those as well.

What do photo and video (editing) professionals think of it?
Apple has only glossy desktop screens (AFAIK) and lots of people love those as well.

I run detailed computer models and graphical simulations for a living and hate it! See my comments above. It just doesn't have the sharpness I need despite the resolution being so high.

RMAing my DELL Ultrasharp and freeing myself of an awful anti-glare coated monitor is seriously the most liberating thing I've ever done. It was like escaping from a giant Jigsaw torture chamber from those "Saw" movies.

Haven't you been ranting against AG coatings for over a year now? Why would you buy one after all that ranting?

The AG thing is massively overblown here by a tiny and extremely vocal minority, that act as if AG coating is going to kill you.

The fact is that practically all professional level graphics desktop screens from NEC/Eizo are AG coated.

Glossy is more something to impress consumers (ooo Shiny). Apple has been roundly criticized in many places for going glossy only on it's iMacs.

A friend of mine has a U2711, supposedly the worse AG coated monitor ever. Since no one told him this, he is blissfully happy with his screen and when I used his computer I didn't notice it being that bad. It didn't seem any worse than the Dell 3007-HC I had for a bit, but it is stronger than my NEC 2490.

That being said, I think the ideal is light AG coating like I have on my MVA screen TV. It shows no reflection, but AG effect up close is extremely subtle.

Why didn't you go for the Apple display?

I don't like the lack of adjustability or lack of OSD. Currently using a U2711 which I got given through work and thought I would learn to accept the surface. But I haven't - I do have to look at very small details and it is very noticeable for me. I have my eyes on the Samsung S27B970 though.

Ok if it's the same or better coating to the 2412 I'm IN.

At $799 MSRP this thread becomes useless without coupons tho :)

The AG thing is massively overblown here by a tiny and extremely vocal minority

That still doesn't explain the AG complaints I've seen at Tomshardware, OverclockersUK, Anandtech, Overclock.NET, Macrumors, c|net, whirlpool, NvNews, XtremeSystems, HardwareCanucks, Guru3D, OCAU, Steampowered, and AVS Forum. :cool:

That being said, I think the ideal is light AG coating like I have on my MVA screen TV. It shows no reflection, but AG effect up close is extremely subtle.

Agreed 100%, so I really have no clue what you are ranting about. :)

I'm okay with AG coatings in the rare instance they don't add sparkles/grain. But all of the modern IPS AG coatings do. So with that choice, I'd take glossy any day of the week.

I did just buy 2 NEC 2490WUXIs (w/ the A-TW polarizer and no touch) for $450 shipped. Those monitors have one of the less invasive AG coatings though

Agreed 100%, so I really have no clue what you are ranting about. :)

I am not the one ranting. I am just tired of seeing the same names pop up again with absolutely hyperbolic nonsense rants like this, everytime we discuss one of these monitors:

It was like escaping from a giant Jigsaw torture chamber from those "Saw" movies.

:rolleyes: Seriously wasn't this over a year ago now, at some point you need to let it go. Are you going to continue to act like one product you owned for days ruined your life, for the rest of your life?

I must be immune to it (AGC) because my 3008WFP doesn't bother me at all. Although I am waiting for the newer 30" Dell monitor to be released. One day, I will have three 30's. :(

I run detailed computer models and graphical simulations for a living and hate it! See my comments above. It just doesn't have the sharpness I need despite the resolution being so high.

Well if that's the case then there's no monitor atm with a resolution higher than 2560x1600 which gives you that "sharpness" you're looking for.

Is it just me who thinks that the new u2713hm monitor looks cheap. The older u2711 looks more professional and sleek. This however seems to use a very generic looking stand and bezel.

u2713hm monitor looks cheap...
I don't know if it has been officially confirmed, but the belief has been that this one will sit below the U2711, similar to how the U2412M is below the U2410.

Ew, no the U2412 is superior to the U2410 which has terrible contrast and poor sRGB emulation. The U2711 has slightly better contrast and sRGB emulation than the U2410, but the U2713 will likely have 30% higher contrast/deeper blacks, less ghosting and it will properly cover the sRGB colour space which will make it superior for everything except work which requires an extended colour space.

Well if that's the case then there's no monitor atm with a resolution higher than 2560x1600 which gives you that "sharpness" you're looking for.

30" IPS use the same coating as the 27", if one is after sharpness a glossy Korean/Apple 1440p IPS or 27" Series 8 & 9 Samsung PLS are the only options.

Last edited:
I'm with Snowdog on this one. The whole AG coating thing is so over blown by some people. Yes it might affect and bother some people but they then act like its the worst thing to ever happen.

I remember when instead it was fuss about slow response times and ghosting, input lag, colour banding, colour tinting, A-TW polarisers, lack of 1:1 pixel mapping.... There always seems to be a "flavour of the month" with monitors and something that people seem to negatively focus on. At the moment it's AG coating

That's not true. Whilst an ultra-high resolution may be advantageous a 2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600 resolution is perfectly usable for my work provided the image isn't impeded by a thick matte surface. Many of my colleagues do use the Apple screens that I couldn't settle for and the difference in image clarity is phenominal.

I'm with Snowdog on this one. The whole AG coating thing is so over blown by some people. Yes it might affect and bother some people but they then act like its the worst thing to ever happen.

It is the worst aspect of the monitor, isn't it? Why do you continue to try to argue it's a non-issue?

It is the worst aspect of the monitor, isn't it? Why do you continue to try to argue it's a non-issue?

I think you'll find that is the first time i've mentioned any argument for or against AG coating on these forums so saying that i "continue to try to argue it's a non-issue" is a little bit of an exaggeration.

I'm not saying it's a non issue at all, if you re-read it again. I'm saying it DOES bother some people, and yes, people should be aware of it. However I am also saying there are some people who blow it up way out of proportion as if it was the be all and end all of monitor performance. It's grossly exaggerated by some people, although others are far more sensible with their comments about it. My point was really that AG coating is the current gripe with monitors it seems. It's not really changed much in the last few years on IPS panels and its funny how a couple of years ago noone would even notice it. Give it another year and i expect people will have moved on to the latest gripe trend :)

noone knows how this monitor will perform, it's pure speculation. We know it has an AG coating but who's to say at this stage whether it is as aggressive as other Dell IPS models? Who is to say also that it will be the "worst things about this monitor" - what if it has a horrible black depth, a horrible overshoot or something? we just don't know yet, but dismissing the monitor purely on it's AG coating at this stage is jumping the gun a bit

I'm more bothered with eventual backlight bleed issues. It seems to be pretty common with new LED IPS monitors.

I used to own an iMac before going straight hackintosh, and for years I've always thought Dell's monitors were lackluster due to antiglare. For the price that the Ultrasharps go for, of course people are going to complain about the AG coating, especially when they are aware of how dull they make the monitors look if they've owned or used something else extensively. They put a new U2410 in my lab/office at the university, and I am always underwhelmed by it. Like I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I've had Catleaps before, and I was far more impressed with the screen's quality than I have been with the U2410.

Anyways, so it begins; the U2711 is $699 today at Newegg, which I'm sure has something to do with the U2713's imminent release: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260038

Back