Apple Suspends Over-the-Phone Password Resets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has ordered its support staff to stop processing over the phone password reset requests so that people don't get HONAN-HACKED.

An Apple worker with knowledge of the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Wired that the over-the-phone password freeze would last at least 24 hours. The employee speculated that the freeze was put in place to give Apple more time to determine what security policies needed to be changed, if any.

There should be no password resets, period. Loosing access to your account after forgetting your password should encourage you to never forget the password again.

Then require users to change their passwords every 2 weeks, and BAM, MacOS marketshare drops from 9% to .9% . Tim, get on this immediately!

unfortunately that just isn't a realistic perspective. It's hard enough remembering all the different passwords I have as it is.

The employee speculated that the freeze was put in place to give Apple more time to determine what security policies needed to be changed, if any.

LMFAO - if they think there should be no security policy changes

I work for a major ISP.

AT LEAST 50% of our call volume is from these stupid fucks that forgot their email passwords.

I work for a major ISP.

AT LEAST 50% of our call volume is from these stupid fucks that forgot their email passwords.
I work for a large corporation. We're forced to create extremely complicated passwords and change them often. We also have several 3rd party applications with different password requirements and varying change schedules.

These passwords are all different from the passwords I employ in my personal web use.

Gotta cut people some slack.

unfortunately that just isn't a realistic perspective. It's hard enough remembering all the different passwords I have as it is.

It should be obvious to everyone that this is a complexx issue. I keep my user names and passwords on a piece of paper at my desk which I hide behind a picture of my pet cat.

I work for a large corporation. We're forced to create extremely complicated passwords and change them often. We also have several 3rd party applications with different password requirements and varying change schedules.

These passwords are all different from the passwords I employ in my personal web use.

Gotta cut people some slack.

Most of these peoples password are either "password", "password1" or something else reall simple.

I cut no slack for these stupid fucks.

I too work for a large corporation obviously and my password list contains over 25 different usernames/password combos. Some of those systems I need to reset the password as little as every 2 weeks.

I never have a problem.

Most of these peoples password are either "password", "password1" or something else reall simple.

I too work for a large corporation obviously and my password list contains over 25 different usernames/password combos. Some of those systems I need to reset the password as little as every 2 weeks.

I never have a problem.

You're so awesome! :rolleyes:

I never have a problem.

The problem with this is that the AVERAGE person doesn't work in IT, and doesn't use their mind to remember passwords often. I

I remember I too used to have several work related passwords and I could remember them no problem. Take two weeks off from work a few times and had trouble remembering even HALF of them.

Back