Asus P8Z77-V Pro bent pins

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus P8Z77-V Pro that has bent pins :(

It goes like this, I put the CPU in the socket, add one stick of ram, connect the CPU and ATX power connectors and try to boot to make sure everything is good. It wont boot, it just powers up for a split second and the PSU fan suddenly stops before it even gets going. On the board I see the Red LED labeled CPU_LED light up. So i know my issue is the CPU.

I read somewhere that sometimes this board needs to have its BIOs updated in order to work? I dont remember where I saw it, but i decided to update via the Flashback BIOS method, which doesnt require the CPU. It updates successfully.

It still wont boot. So a little more investigating leads me to discover that the pins are slightly bent on the board. To be honest I dont remember bending the pins, but it may have been when I dropped plastic socket cover once (I removed the cpu a few times and put the cover on). So I bend the pins back to what looks like normal:

http://i.imgur.com/E1mur.jpg

And it still will not boot. Thing is this board hasnt booted since the first time I put the cpu in, before i even dropped the socket protector, so im not sure if its a faulty board or simply my fault for bending the pins. What should I do at this point? Mess with the pins some more? Try to RMA? It was purchased through Amazon.

So basically I dont know if i bent the pins or they came that way, i most likely did though, and whether or not that is why this board wont boot.

Thanks!

i feel your pain. if you attempt rma, asus will most likely make you pay for repairs. i'm pretty sure bent pins are not covered by warranty.

i did the same thing when i put my rig together. had everything in the case, started it up.. nothing. did some troubleshooting to no avail. figured there must be something wrong.. took the cpu out, bent pins! woohoo. :(

now here's what you can do. since you're going to have to pay for your mistake anyway (not saying it's your fault.. sometimes shit just happens) i'd just attempt repairs like i did. took me 45 minutes and a really, really, really small screw driver to correct four bent pins. just try to get them aligned with the others best you can. don't bend them too far in any direction, as they may snap off and you're probably SOL.

get them lined up best you can, they'll never look like the others.. but as long as they're making contact. good luck!

After staring at it for 5 minutes, I see a pair of pins so slightly bent I doubt it would matter. Just straighten them out with a sewing needle or something small and pointly like that.

so after trying to adjust them some more today the board still will not boot. Ive been using needles and an xacto knife to do the job.

im wondering if the pins arent directly pointed up and making complete contact

I too feel your pain. I bent the pins on a LGA 775 board by jamming my finger in there as I was trying to attach the backplate of my hsf. Totally my fault, I even told myself I should put the CPU in place to keep me from doing just that but I was too lazy to walk 5 paces to get it. Lesson learned

I too feel your pain. I bent the pins on a LGA 775 board by jamming my finger in there as I was trying to attach the backplate of my hsf. Totally my fault, I even told myself I should put the CPU in place to keep me from doing just that but I was too lazy to walk 5 paces to get it. Lesson learned
sucks :(

crappy part is that i actually tried to use the protector and it ended up being what bends the pins, who would have thought.

Think the problem is the power supply, tried it on another rig that I know works and it had the same symptom of powering on and off instantly

EDIT: yup turns out to be the PSU, tried another and it booted up just fine :D

Last edited:
Don't feel bad

A few days ago we decided to give the one daughter my 2500k and Asus p8Z68 v pro gen 3 combo

Its been working flawless for me.NEVER missed a beat.

What could go wrong?

Ha ....being a licensed hvac tech, I should have known ..everything later.

Up to your armpits in the swap with the 'gators..

I go get a 3570k & P8Z77 (my siggy) for myself.
Some ram for her and a '212 cooler.

Remove drivers and all from the '68, my old one, shutdown and then do the transfer to her case
NEVER having to remove cpu of course

Cleaned cpu carefully not to much cleaner to soak about
Long and short it won't boot to save its life.
I go on to my build and do it up and daughter watching.
it comes up to boot all is good.
Go back to hers, tested psu ram you all know the drill minimum boot stuff nada ,
I get a bit peeved but have 3 year warranty with C.Computers for the mb, paid extra
Service guy at store looks a board and finds three pins that don't look quite right and ugggh ..no warranty
So I got an MSI board and go back , finish up and voila away we go
Funny thing is i don't believe I bent the pins or made them not look quite right.
like others i used the protector was ALWAYS very careful yeah i know i could have screwed up ..But

Back