AT&T Suffering from Massive DSL Outage Since Sunday Night?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We understand that AT&T DSL authentication is intermittent across the entire country. You having a DSL issue? Speak up here so we can get a handle on this. If you are having AT&T DSL issues, it is likely that you are not alone.

I have it at home and AT&T DSL is absolutely terrible. My downtime is unacceptable and if it were my decision alone I'd switch to our cable provider Insight which I used to have for years and was great until I moved... I'd also like to mention I've calle dthem multiple times to try and fix to no aval. The problem is outside of my home and they just can't get it to work right.

Most likely some can't respond to tell us here.

Thanks for pointing that out. We are relying on our readers being able to respond from work since that is where most HardOCP reading is done.

I am with out ATT DSL in Oklahoma, at home that is and that was as of last night.:(

data cap for at&t? not that i ever had....i had them for years and downloaded like crazy, and never had a cap warning

What?! I deny this! Where's your proof?!

:D

On topic, this weekend and Monday, the Ohio team in my company were all offline. They're AT&T Uverse business subscribers. They all came back online today. Not sure if it's related to this particular outage, but still.

That is to say, the Ohio team in the towns of Youngstown and Girard.

None here in Deep East Texas ALTHOUGH...isn't there like a strike going on at AT&T for 3 areas? Think I saw it on DSLReports.com (less someone already mentioned it...if so then ignore that part).

att dsl sucks.

last time they had an outage in my area, it lasted almost a week. I had to either use dial up, or go to mcdonalds, office depot, or bestbuy to mooch off their internet.

I dropped them after that. It was also when they started implementing stingy ass 150gb bw caps.

I wish someone would put a cap on my data. It'd look a lot more stylish with a cap instead of that absurd beanie. :(

From what I got from the Syncronised swimming in thwe olympics, was that having a cap loses you points on the presentation score or something! Instead you should put gelatine in your hair! :D

data cap for at&t? not that i ever had....i had them for years and downloaded like crazy, and never had a cap warning

They implemented caps last year at like 150GB for non-business and 250GB for business accounts (think that's right). Highest I've hit is like 125 since then but I also don't do a lot of downloading mostly just streaming and gaming.

And no outage for me, in SW Missouri. Course it's over-subscribed like a mother but not like I have choices (no uVerse and the local cable company is even worse in my area). Their DSL infrastructure is pretty awful in our area. Had a line worker tell me he couldn't do anything to help me when I was losing service during peak hours because they were over-subscribed and his superiors refused to allow upgrades to the equipment.

I had a power glitch Friday and afterwards had hell getting back online. It has been fine since then(The Colony Texas)

I had ATT DSL a few years ago in Chicago... Total garbage with outages and speed.

I live on the northwest side of Chicago in a suburb near O'Hare airport. My AT&T dsl blows dogs. I NEVER get the speeds I'm supposed to, it drops out all the time, and all I get is excuses. I just LOVE when the customer service rep from India or the Philippines talks down to me and tells me it's my hardware.

They've been out to repair or replace things 4 times since June. An AT&T linesman told me that I'm too far away and he has to make the best of things. Turns out, on the other side of the suburb that I live in, they've pulled fiber. Which the linesman told me, is not scheduled for my area any time soon. And, I'm at least 2 major updates behind that.

To make matters worse, a co-worker of mine who lives less than 2 miles away in a different suburb has the same dsl service. HE LOVES IT ! He never loses connection and his speeds are ALWAYS faster than rated.

So, it really depends what areas have been updated and which have a crumbling infrastructure.

My home connection in oklahoma city is working, but at only about a quarter of what it's rated for.

We have two AT&T DSL connects (OKC), a 6MB & a 3MB. The 6MB was down for just under 18 hours (and is back to a "normal" 5MB)

Strangely, the 3MB connection never went down. I was watching Amazon Prime on the Roku all last night.

That's one reason I dropped them and went to TimeWarner. They suck.

I'm on vacation, and couldn't VNC to my home machine earlier today. Might not be the DSL, though--a big storm blew through last week and might have blipped the power, shutting down that machine.

Course it's over-subscribed like a mother but not like I have choices (no uVerse and the local cable company is even worse in my area). Their DSL infrastructure is pretty awful in our area. Had a line worker tell me he couldn't do anything to help me when I was losing service during peak hours because they were over-subscribed and his superiors refused to allow upgrades to the equipment.

this was the other reason I dropped them.

My area was also oversubscribed...... and they always ragged on cable for being shared with your neighbors. Oversubscribed dsl is even worse.

No issues here - Comcast fixed all of my ATT DSL issues last thursday when they installed my 20mb/5mb cable line. :)

ATT and their suck ass 2.5m/250k DSL can kiss my ass. I hope it stays down forever and everyone jumps ship.

Are we talking about ATM based ADSL2, PTM based ADSL2+ or FTTN VDSL?

The PTM & VDSL based products are "U-Verse" products.

"AT&T DSL outage" is a little generic. ATM based dsl is authenticated via PPPoE while ADSL2+ and VDSL really don't have any "authentication" per say; the network is restricted by physical port address on the DSLAM and the serial of the RG. That being said, it is still possible to have what could be called an "authentication outage" on ADSL2+ and VDSL.

What networks were affected?

I live on the northwest side of Chicago in a suburb near O'Hare airport. My AT&T dsl blows dogs. I NEVER get the speeds I'm supposed to, it drops out all the time, and all I get is excuses. I just LOVE when the customer service rep from India or the Philippines talks down to me and tells me it's my hardware.

They've been out to repair or replace things 4 times since June. An AT&T linesman told me that I'm too far away and he has to make the best of things. Turns out, on the other side of the suburb that I live in, they've pulled fiber. Which the linesman told me, is not scheduled for my area any time soon. And, I'm at least 2 major updates behind that.

To make matters worse, a co-worker of mine who lives less than 2 miles away in a different suburb has the same dsl service. HE LOVES IT ! He never loses connection and his speeds are ALWAYS faster than rated.

So, it really depends what areas have been updated and which have a crumbling infrastructure.

Funny thing is that ATM based DSL, PTM based ADSL2+ and FTTN VDSL all use this same "crumbling infastructure". Really, the only times there are issues that can't be fixed on the cable is if it is buried paper-pulp cable or lead cable that hasn't been opened previously.

Your issues are either an outside issue and there is trouble on your pair that is difficult to identify, or it is inside. Chances are if you have had multiple techs out there and the wiring inside your home hasn't been replaced, then it is the wiring in your home.

Do you have a cat5e (or better) home run to your modem? If not, get a service tech out to your home and pay to have one run (if you can't do it yourself).

What AT&T product do you have?

I have AT&T DSL and have experienced no outages...not even sure what this article is talking about.

Are we talking about ATM based ADSL2, PTM based ADSL2+ or FTTN VDSL?

The PTM & VDSL based products are "U-Verse" products.

"AT&T DSL outage" is a little generic. ATM based dsl is authenticated via PPPoE while ADSL2+ and VDSL really don't have any "authentication" per say; the network is restricted by physical port address on the DSLAM and the serial of the RG. That being said, it is still possible to have what could be called an "authentication outage" on ADSL2+ and VDSL.

What networks were affected?

You are a geek. I think the layman's inference would imply they meant 'home DSL service'

From what I've read, it wasn't nationwide, just a good part of the midwest and was resolved after a couple of hours.

I have U-verse, no problems, but my across the street neighbor has DSL and she says she's had terrible problems over the weekend. We're in the Houston suburbs.

I thought all that stuff ran on the same infrastructure. It doesn't?

My Aunt called me with problems this weekend; I think it was Sunday evening. She has AT&T. I had her call Tech support because there wasn't anything I could do for her. I never heard back so I don't know if her service was restored.

Jenison, MI is where she's at...

Back